Banana Plugs & Bryston Amps

guest1121

« on: 20 Aug 2003, 03:36 pm »
I just purchased two Bryston amps - a 9B SST THX, and a 4B SST.  I hooked up the 9B and purchased banana plugs from Parts Express.  Here is a picture of what I purchased:

When I tried to push one of these banana plugs into the binding post, I encountered such strong resistance that I stopped trying for fear of damaging the binding post.

Can someone tell me if a different type of banana plug is required for my Bryston amps, or do I just need to push harder?  I really got the feeling that the plug was just too big for the hole in the binding post.  The plugs I bought have a slight "bulge" in the pin which I believe ensures a tight fit.  Perhaps that "bulge" is the problem?

Ron D

« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2003, 11:50 pm »
I've only used the WBT 045 units on my Bryston amps but as Bryston themselves offer bananas I'm sure bananas in general should fit. Check out their website to see how theirs match up to yours. I wouldn't be surprised if you only have to push them with a little more force but I can see why you are aprehensive.

jethro

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2003, 11:16 pm »
I have used non-locking Ultralink bananas with 4B-ST, 8B-ST, and 3B-ST amps with no problems, other than the fact that the connection is not as tight as I would like. I usually experiment with bananas, but end up simply using bare wire for my connections on both ends.

If you haven't already tried the bananas with your speakers, it might be best to try them first. Most speakers allow the nut to be totally removed which should give you a better idea of how tight the fit is.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2003, 08:17 pm »
HI All,

Engineer has explained to me that a few amplifiers got 5-way binding posts with improperly crimped ends on the banana female opening and may cause problems with fitting some bananas. Usually the ones with the bulge in the middle.
We will replace any 5-way binding posts with this problem at the customers convience.

james

jethro

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2004, 07:33 pm »
James and all,

I have some questions about the Bryston brand of bananas:

Do these bananas take 10 gauge stranded OFC copper ?

What is needed to attach them (crimp, set screw, etc) ?

Are they locking bananas ?

Are the spade connectors better (sound-wise) than bananas ?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2004, 08:44 pm »
Hi Jethro,

Yes they will accept 10 gauge
2- set screws
Yes they are locking bananas.
Spades or locking bananas are equal - the idea is to eliminate air from the connection.

james

Riccardo

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2005, 09:48 am »
Two very quick questions for James:

Any chance we can get original Bryston locking banana connectors and spade lugs in the U.K. as the Bryston website only allows purchases fron USA or Canada?
If not, can anyone suggest alternatives available in the U.K.?

Am I correct in assuming that my 4b-sst is tri-wirable? (1 banana, 1 spade lug and bare wire).

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2005, 12:35 pm »
Hi Riccardo,

We can ship the cables and connectors anywhere in the world. I will have the webmaster look at the site - I did not realise it was restricted to North America.

james

Riccardo

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2005, 02:16 pm »
:D  thanks!