Guardians of the Galaxy Trilogy: 2014, Vol. 2 (2017), Vol. 3 (2023)

WGH

This weekend it was 100° F at 9:00 am, which is actually a normal Tucson temperature this time if year. It is also a good day for afternoon matinee movies.

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 on Saturday night but it has been 9 years since the gang first got together, it was time to start at the beginning. The first film was released in 2014 (renamed Vol. 1) and has an almost mythic reputation. The movie holds up and it's reputation is well deserved. All three films are written and directed by James Gunn, featuring an ensemble cast including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldaña, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, and Bradley Cooper. Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 add Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Benicio del Toro, Karen Gillan, Pom Klementieff, Will Poulter, Elizabeth Debicki, and Sylvester Stallone.

The first film is about how this group of bickering misfits get together. The second film is about Peter Quill/Star-Lord (Chris Pratt) and his mysterious Dad Ego (Kurt Russell). The third film is about Rocket Racoon, the High Evolutionary and the animal experimentation done to Rocket and his friends while trying to create higher life forms.

I suggest watching all 3 in order to understand the arc of all the character's development. Watch the 2022 Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special for extra credit. One confusing plot point is Gamora (Zoe Saldaña) dies in the 2018 Avengers: Infinity War but still stars in Vol.3. It is all explained because there is a variant of Gamora in the Multiverse along with a little time-traveling, the MCU can get confusing.

I enjoyed all the films. Reviews suggest that the 2014 was the best but after watching all three they are very similar. All three have crazy action scenes along with tender moments where this dysfunctional group learn to love each other. The first film was unique, blending action with classic rock tracks and has a nostalgic glow around it. Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 don't surprise us with the "newness" of the first film so many people are disappointed but the style hasn't changed at all. My standard is how involved do I get, if the 2 hours fly by then it's a good film. All three Guardians of the Galaxy films pass this test with flying colors.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jpm

Thanks for the review. Having enjoyed the first two, I'm looking forward to catching the latest. GOTG is, I think, the only MCU franchise I can still say that about having become thoroughly exhausted by all of the others.

newzooreview

Vol. 3 was 90% enjoyable and on par with the others. The ending (not giving anything away) was not as strong as most of the movie, however.

I wish they had wrapped it up more tidily rather than leaving room for more sequels. Disney has destroyed everything they've touched in the last decade, and with James Gunn leaving after this installment, I expect the next one, if made, will be down at the level of other things they've been excreting.

qdrone

Didn't get behind baby Groot in volume 2,seems like the franchise was expanding its paying demographics to includes young children.
Was really happy that in volume three,Groot was back to his lean,mean killing machine persona. Volume 3 kicked ass.

WGH

Here is a recent article from ign.com, a Rocket & Groot film could be fun.

Guardians of the Galaxy Director James Gunn Reveals Heartbreaking Story of How Rocket Met Groot
It was a short film that was never released.
https://www.ign.com/articles/james-gunn-heartbreaking-story-how-rocket-met-groot

Gunn revealed details of Rocket and Groot's origin story while discussing a short film he started to develop but never released. He shared the revelation after a fan asked about Tibius Lark, a character mentioned in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1. He explained that the film would have offered insight into their backstory.

"I wrote a short film explaining the origin of how Rocket and Groot met," Gunn posted on Threads. "It was even storyboarded and location scouted, and we did test footage for it (it was seen at SDCC in the 'trailer' we cut together after 12 days of shooting). But I didn't have time to do it as Vol 1 amped up. In it, Tibius Lark, Groot, and Rocket were all imprisoned in a deep well in the ground. Tibius was on the verge of dying. He explained to Rocket he had been caring for Groot for years."

"He was a former zookeeper in a s**tty galactic-side zoo," he added, sharing more about the mysterious Tibius Lark. "He explained he had saved Groot, who was on exhibit there, and that Groot was a loyal friend. He asked Rocket to please take care of him, and then he died. As he died, Rocket looked down in the dark cell and noticed he was a robot, the lower body of his body smashed open and mechanical.

"The guards above ground heard something rumbling, and they turned and saw Rocket and Groot bursting up from the ground, Rocket on Groot's shoulder, and in Rocket's hands was a machine gun made from Tibius Lark's body, and he shot all the guards, and they escaped and were together until they met the Guardians."

WGH

Pom Klementieff has been acting since 2007 but her breakout role was as Mantis in 2017's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. She is also in Vol.3 too. I haven't noticed her in any other films which is understandable because of makeup and CGI antennas. But producers and directors have noticed her because she now stars as the mysterious villain 'Paris' in this summer's other blockbuster Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One. She disappears into her roles very well.

Pom Klementieff as Mantis

Pom Klementieff as Paris in Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

Pom Klementieff as herself

Folsom

I haven't seen 3 yet but I like the other two a lot. The first one I didn't feel all the appreciation for that I later did. It was kinda shocking to have all B list actors at the time. It was refreshing in that way but my brain wasn't sure what to make of it. It launched everyone involved even farther in their careers. I mean Chris Pratt soared after that. There were a few A list people in it but only as supporting roles or voice acting.