My NEO 2X speakers- For Sale- Maybe??

alanl

My NEO 2X speakers- For Sale- Maybe??
« on: 28 May 2008, 01:33 am »
With Danny's generous help and alot of valium, they're done.  Walnut burl veneer, figured walnut corners, a leather baffle and 6 coats of General Finish Armorthane Gloss over 2 coats a Watco natural Danish Oil.  They sound incredible!  Thanks Danny.

I'm considering selling these to fund a new project; I think $500 would be the price and I thought I would check on interest levels.  I would not ship them.  I live in s/e WI.  I haven't made up my mind for sure yet, if I sell them I'll be soundless in my 2nd system...  I know, rough life. :dunno:
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2010, 09:20 pm by alanl »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: My NEO 2X speakers
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2008, 02:19 am »
I found your gallery.... :thumb:

NEO 2X

NEO 2X leather baffle/walnut burl veneer

NEO 2X walnut burl

Very nice.....enjoy !!! :beer:

AUDFILE74

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2008, 04:12 am »
those are beautiful!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2008, 05:17 am »
Those burl finishes are nice, but if I ever do go ahead with rebuilding my speakers, I'm going for a metal laminate.  The're quite expensive, but very appealing.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2008, 12:20 pm »
gorgeous! Did you say leather??

HT cOz

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2008, 01:08 pm »
Awesome!  :thumb:

How did you do those corners?  Is it all veneer?  Did you do anything inbetween the layers of finish?

Cheers,
Robert

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2008, 02:08 pm »
Wow! Those do look really good. Nice job!

alanl

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2008, 02:21 pm »
I found your gallery....

Thanks for the help Lonewolf.

gorgeous! Did you say leather??

Thanks. Yes, the baffles are wrapped with leather and then I used leather piping for the transition to the enclosure.

How did you do those corners?  Is it all veneer?  Did you do anything inbetween the layers of finish?

I dadoed the corners at 1/2" X 1/2" and the ripped figured walnut at 5/8" X 5/8" for the corners.  After it was glued in place I used a roundover bit on a router table.  The rest of the box is 1/42" veneer (other than the baffle).  Inbetween each coat of the Armorthane I lightly sanded with 320 grit sandpaper.

Those burl finishes are nice, but if I ever do go ahead with rebuilding my speakers, I'm going for a metal laminate.  The're quite expensive, but very appealing.

The matel laminate would be very cool.

Thanks to all for the positive responses.  I think after a little more OT I'll build a matching servo sub. I was thining of using black granite for the top; anyone have experience here?

alan

AUDFILE74

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2008, 04:01 pm »
hi alanl, i was wondering, where'd you get the plans for the neo2x enclosures, i did not see plans on the neo2x topic, if the plans for the floor standing ported neo2x enclosure are up on the site, could someone post a link for me? i've been waiting on them for a minute :D

alanl

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2008, 02:34 am »
hi alanl, i was wondering, where'd you get the plans for the neo2x enclosures, i did not see plans on the neo2x topic, if the plans for the floor standing ported neo2x enclosure are up on the site, could someone post a link for me? i've been waiting on them for a minute

Danny sent me the front baffle dimensions with the total cubic foot space required.  The baffle is 8.5" X 14" and requires .50 cubic feet of air space.  I calculated the internal dimensions needed based upon a cubic foot (1728 cubic inches).  The front baffle on my speakers is 1 1/4" to reduce resonance so I made them slightly deeper but the formula otherwise followed Danny's baffle layout.

alan

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2008, 01:10 pm »
Very nice looking speakers Alan and I especially like the leather baffle. Now that the build process is complete.... how do they sound? What are you using to drive them?

alanl

« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2008, 02:16 pm »
Very nice looking speakers Alan and I especially like the leather baffle. Now that the build process is complete.... how do they sound? What are you using to drive them?

Thanks for the compliment.  The speakers sound fantastic.  I am using an Arcam DIVA A65+ integrated amp and a POC Sony Cd/DVD player (temporary source).  I have not begun a true critique as of yet but I have listened to them for 4-5 hours casually.  The speakers probably have 30 hours on them now all together.  I listened to most attentively to Michael Buble's Irresponsible Me and Best Audiophile Voices XRCD24.  I have listened to both numerous times on my main system which consists of Rocket 850's and previously B&W CM4s.  The NEO 2X is detailed, smooth and neutral in it's reproduction.  When I first received the 850's I spent many hours listening to them in comparison to my CM4s using these CDs and several others I know intimately. I had intended to move to B&W 703s next but the 850s were every bit the equal of the 703s and a lot less so the B&Ws moved on. There is a point here... the NEO 2X is superior.  The NEO 2X will not pressurize a room like the 850s or have the ability to connect with the low end in the same manner but they have a beautiful midrange and detailed, open top end.  On one of the tracks in Best Audiophile Voices there is a steel guitar (i think that's what it is) that I HATE.  Everytime I hear it on the 850s it makes me cringe in pain.  The 850s throw the sound out at you with every bit abruptness they can muster.  The NEO 2X gives you a smooth twang and a light pluck just underneath the twang.  Hopefully that makes sense, I am not a professional reviewer.  The NEO 2xs midrange is delightful, Michael Buble' sounds real.  Bass is good does not leave me feeling at a loss.  Imaging is quite good and probably great but my current listening area is not helpful here.  If I were to give you big name speakers as reference points I would mention B&W 805s, Thiel SCS 4s, and a decent memory Monitor Audio GS10s.  I would go with the NEO 2X in each comparison.  I have more break-in and listening to do but I am very happy with these speakers, I have about $800 invested if I add veneers, glue, finish etc.  I could not touch this level of reproduction for $1600 (B&W 805s), maybe the Usher Tiny Dancer series is on par but I have never heard them.   Hope this answers your question.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2008, 02:34 pm »
That is great news Alan and even better is the fact that will continue to sound better as they mature in time. I have Danny's OB-7, same tweeter - similar driver, that I custom built and they continue to sound better in time and impress even further. It took a while for the woofers and crossovers to come into their own but now that I have a few hundred hours on them, I couldn't be happier.

Enjoy the ride and keep us posted as you rack up some hours.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2008, 11:28 pm »
Awesome, simply awesome.

Please let provide us with another update after 150 hours of play.

Lou

alanl

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2008, 05:42 am »
Awesome, simply awesome.

Lou

Thanks Lou...

I will keep you posted; I should start some serious listening in another week or two.

Alan

ichillpill

« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2008, 04:05 pm »
Al,

Any updates?

Awesome, simply awesome.

Lou

Thanks Lou...

I will keep you posted; I should start some serious listening in another week or two.

Alan

alanl

« Reply #16 on: 6 Aug 2008, 02:22 pm »
I now have well more than 150 hours on the speakers and continue to be amazed.  I installed the Rotel CD player from my main system and was quite surprised at the improvement.  I have swapped players in other systems w/o as notable a benefit.  The NEO 2s are capable of detailing the components in the system to a greater degree than I have experienced previously.  The bass has extended slightly from new and though I will be building a sub in the future I would not be broken hearted to go without.  I have had a large number of friends come to listen to the speakers now and all have been shocked with the performance of these speakers. 

alanl

« Reply #17 on: 6 Oct 2008, 03:42 pm »
I continue to be ever impressed with the NEO 2x speakers.  I could attempt to write further thoughts on them but it may be easier for you to listen for yourself.  I live in S/E Wisconsin, if you would like to hear a set of NEO 2x's just drop me an email and we'll set something up.

Alan

KenShelton

« Reply #18 on: 7 Oct 2008, 03:16 am »
Alan's cabinets look as sweet as these speakers sound.

I just completed assembling a pair of NEO-2X in PE cabinets for a person.  His have all the add-ons that Danny offers.  His remarks:
"I had no idea that the cabinets were going to be so nice...  they are awesome!  The piano black is very nice.

"Soundwise, they have exceeded my expectations, which were already high.

"I've been breaking them in, but out of the box they are already sounding very, very good.  So much more transparent and dynamic than
the $1000 von schweikert monitors that I had been using as fronts.

"The most obvious thing I'm noticing is how good the ribbon tweeter is.  The highs on these are among the best and most open I've heard."

From this remark, Alan's comments, my comments, and others, plus the Affordable Audio review, this NEO line of mini-monitors is a home run for Danny.  I just got the parts for my GR servo sub...now I've got to start making sawdust, the hard part for me.  Anyone in the Seattle area want to trade cabinet making for crossover assembly work?

alanl

Re: My NEO 2X speakers- For Sale- Maybe??
« Reply #19 on: 7 Jun 2010, 01:40 am »
With Danny's generous help and alot of valium, they're done.  Walnut burl veneer, figured walnut corners, a leather baffle and 6 coats of General Finish Armorthane Gloss over 2 coats a Watco natural Danish Oil.  They sound incredible!  Thanks Danny.

I'm considering selling these to fund a new project; I think $500 would be the price and I thought I would check on interest levels.  I would not ship them.  I live in s/e WI.  I haven't made up my mind for sure yet, if I sell them I'll be soundless in my 2nd system...  I know, rough life. :dunno: