In response to the AV123 X-Statik thread...

Danny Richie

In response to the AV123 X-Statik thread...
« on: 28 Mar 2008, 11:09 pm »
Thanks guys,

This is in response to this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=52870.msg471717;topicseen#new

I don't mean for this to be a plug for these speakers, but just wanted to state how proud I am of these speakers.

To give some perspective, I have designed tons of speakers and for many different companies. Those speakers have won a ton of awards, and I have been very proud of those awards. Golden Ear awards, speaker of the year awards, and product of the year awards don't get thrown around without merit.

To make comparison, I also designed the crossover in the Usher BE-718. It has recently been racking up a long list of great reviews and awards that even include a mid priced speaker of the year award. They are one of those speakers with cost as no object in regards to design and construction, but that sell for a reasonable price. Great value is something anyone should be proud to offer and the BE-718 sets the bar pretty high in its class. I feel honored to have even been a part of that project.

All that to say this:

The X-Static hasn't done anything yet. It has no reviews or awards, and is just now being released. But I am as proud of these as any speakers I have ever designed. Nothing that I have ever been involved in or that I have ever seen has ever offered more performance for less money than these. The bar has been really, really, raised with these. I predict a lot to come on this speaker this year. At this price point, this level of performance is just crazy.

S Clark

Re: In response to the AV123 X-Statik thread...
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2008, 11:12 pm »
And you should be proud.  Those are incredibly good speakers at an unbelievable price

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2008, 11:27 pm »
Yea, it is a three way speaker with open baffle MTM section, good quality crossover parts, really high quality drivers, and it even has some Gen.2 Sonicaps in there. Then it starts out at only $699 a pair. For $799 a pair they offer some really good looking finishes on them too. That is pretty unbelievable.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2008, 12:18 am »
I want a pair

Zero the Hero

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2008, 11:27 am »
The problem is, with such good speakers at such a low price, why even bother DIY anymore? Cut it out Danny!

Tweaker

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2008, 05:21 pm »
And you should be proud.  Those are incredibly good speakers at an unbelievable price
It becomes a bit more believable when you find out they're being built in Columbia.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2008, 06:10 pm »
So, I can barely believe they can be shipped from Columbia for that price

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2008, 07:48 pm »
The new speaker looks super & I'd love to hear it; must also agree price looks like a ball buster for the competition.

Two parties disagree w/ below statement: 

...I also designed the crossover in the Usher BE-718...

The USA Usher distributor in TX told me on the phone that GR only upgraded parts in the xo.  One online reviewer echoed the same thing.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2008, 08:10 pm »
The USA Usher distributor in TX told me on the phone that GR only upgraded parts in the xo.

Not true at all. They need to speak with the US importer that they purchase from, and that contracted me to do the work.

The original crossover was well engineered and did nothing wrong, but I removed it and started over from scratch. My new network came out similar to the original in regards to typology, but in comparing the two crossovers only two components were common to both networks. Everything else has been changed.

You might want to check this info straight from the Usher web site.

http://www.usheraudiousa.com/files/ush_awards.pdf

One online reviewer echoed the same thing.

Yea, they need to get their facts straight, but it isn't my place to be correcting them.

S Clark

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2008, 08:20 pm »
It becomes a bit more believable when you find out they're being built in Columbia.

It doesn't matter to me if they were built on Mars.  For that price, the cost of drivers, box assembly, veneering and finishing, crossover components, and shipping can't leave much for profit.  Zero the Hero got it right when he commented about the death of DIY.  It would be tough to build these for that price even if your time was free.

reflex

• Look & Listen Mobile, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2008, 08:24 pm »

There's always been good stuff coming out of Columbia...I can remember back in the 70's I used to get my "perception alteration material" imported from there.   :green:

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2008, 09:21 pm »
No doubt  came on the same plane/boat as mine  :lol:

There's always been good stuff coming out of Columbia...I can remember back in the 70's I used to get my "perception alteration material" imported from there.   :green:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2008, 09:22 pm »
Thanks for the referral; regarding the Be-718 xo the Usher website reads:

The...crossovers....are designed and built by Mr. Tsai Lien Shui...Dr. Joseph D’Appolito...provides crossover tuning...Danny Richie...reengineers the entire crossover, selects premium U.S. crossover parts...

With all due respect, the terms "designed and built" & "tuning" are associated to the xo & persons NOT Richie; the term "reengineers" applies to the xo & Richie.  Subject A must be already engineered before subject A can be "reengineered".

Readers can decide for themself who is the 718 xo "designer" based on the website & my earlier post.  
Curious when Richie posts "not true" if he means my report, or the Usher distributor's verbal report to me.  If the former, that is a rather impolite accusation to make.  If the later, one can surmise who has more to gain from an innacurate report: Richie or Usher.  

Tweaker

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2008, 09:24 pm »
I wasn't being critical. Just commenting. There was a lot of amazement as to how they can be built for so cheap. Well, that's how. I've seen pictures over at the AV123 forum and it's a very modern clean looking plant with what looks like some happy and dedicated employees, at least one of which contributes to the forum.
I own a Chinese made tube buffer so I'm hardly in the position to be critical of where somethings made anyway, and, if I hadn't just recently purchased a pair of speakers I would be placing an order for a pair in Moho Satin. (Or Colombia gold) :D

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2008, 09:35 pm »
Nitpick- much?

Thanks for the referral; regarding the Be-718 xo the Usher website reads:

The...crossovers....are designed and built by Mr. Tsai Lien Shui...Dr. Joseph D’Appolito...provides crossover tuning...Danny Richie...reengineers the entire crossover, selects premium U.S. crossover parts...

With all due respect, the terms "designed and built" & "tuning" are associated to the xo & persons NOT Richie; the term "reengineers" applies to the xo & Richie.  Subject A must be already engineered before subject A can be "reengineered".

Readers can decide for themself who is the 718 xo "designer" based on the website & my earlier post. 
Curious when Richie posts "not true" if he means my report, or the Usher distributor's verbal report to me.  If the former, that is a rather impolite accusation to make.  If the later, one can surmise who has more to gain from an innacurate report: Richie or Usher. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2008, 09:54 pm »

With all due respect, the terms "designed and built" & "tuning" are associated to the xo & persons NOT Richie; the term "reengineers" applies to the xo & Richie.  Subject A must be already engineered before subject A can be "reengineered".

Some marketing going on for sure. Obviously they'd like to have the world renowned D'Appolito name in there too, and why not. All of that is part of the story as well.

This model existed prior to me getting it. I did not design the speaker itself. As stated, Mr Tsai designed this speaker. It was sent to Joe D and he tested it, measured it, and signed off on it. All versions of this model shipped outside North America is that version.

All North America versions come with the new network that I designed. This new network is completely different right down to the wire used.

Curious when Richie posts "not true" if he means my report, or the Usher distributor's verbal report to me.

Regardless of who said what including any reviewers. The suggestion that I only upgraded parts quality is not true. I completely designed and engineered a new crossover for this speaker.

If the former, that is a rather impolite accusation to make.

I am not trying to be impolite, and I am not making accusations. I am just stating the facts.

You can contact Musik Matters about this if you like. They can be contacted with the info found on their web site: http://www.musikmatters.com/

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2008, 10:25 pm »
Any reason why some love to high horse it in here carrying the smallest of sticks?

DeanSheen

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2008, 11:06 pm »
Any reason why some love to high horse it in here carrying the smallest of sticks?

This is why we need an ignore function.

They have one on my football board, it's been a godsend.

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2008, 11:16 pm »
Buckeye?

DeanSheen