New bad to the bone, open baffle speakers development.

klh

« Reply #40 on: 10 Oct 2005, 10:36 pm »
That was a bit over my head, but still very interesting. I take it as meaning XBL is a good thing for all frequencies covered by a given driver.  Having said that, if a speaker is cut off at 60Hz, then only part of the benefit is being used, and whether the additional cost and time waiting is worth the benefit is up to the customer.

JeffB

« Reply #41 on: 11 Oct 2005, 12:27 am »
I am not a speaker designer and I just now read a description of XBL, but here is my take on it.
XBL creates better linear response through a larger excursion range of a cone than traditional designs.  Traditional designs loose linearity proportional to excursion distance.  This applies to tweeters as well as midranges and woofer cones.  

So if you are planning on reducing the natural excursion limit of a cone by using a high pass filter, then the impact of XBL won't be as much.

However, if you are using 4" drivers to reach 60Hz then their full excursion is probably needed and XBL will help.

klh

« Reply #42 on: 11 Oct 2005, 03:56 pm »
That makes a lot of sense.

klh

« Reply #43 on: 11 Oct 2005, 08:48 pm »
Danny... what will be the approximate dimensions of the smaller WWMTM and WMTMW center channel?

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 21 Dec 2005, 08:35 pm »
Okay guys, I made them available. See new thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=24018.msg212691#212691

Danny... what will be the approximate dimensions of the smaller WWMTM and WMTMW center channel?

The MTMWW will be 49.5" tall, 8" wide, and 15" deep. The WMTMW (on its side) will about 33" wide, 8" tall and about 15" deep.

klh

« Reply #45 on: 21 Dec 2005, 08:48 pm »
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D