Early impressions of the NX-Oticas and H-frames

Captainhemo

Re: Early impressions of the NX-Oticas and H-frames
« Reply #60 on: 26 Jul 2016, 02:37 pm »
I thought he was asking about Ron's (Vedder323/New Record Day) review. I would not expect that review for a few months. First off Ron needs to get everything fully broken in (which can take 400 hours with platinum caps) before he starts to make serious comparisons. Then he needs enough listening time to fully appreciate the speakers. Then he has to shoot and edit the video.

So it will probably be awhile yet. Be patient. Based on Ron's other reviews I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Mike
Dooh,   I kind of miss-read  that, sorry :(

Hi, Jay.

We ought to arrive in Kelowna 8/22. I'll be bringing my spanking new Don Sachs Model 2 (SP14) tube preamp with us. I'll pick it up in Nelson a couple days before. Let me know if you want to hook it up to your system. I could drop it off at your place upon our arrival (kinda like last time).

See ya soon!

Michael

Ohhh, you pulled thr trigger ?  8)
I'll shoot you an email

jay

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #61 on: 26 Jul 2016, 02:58 pm »
Definitely pulled the trigger.

This is a repost from another thread:

"My upgrades are as follows:

Walnut case
Khozmo 64 step remote attenuator
1.0 uF Jupiter cap to drive low impedance SS amp. [I had considered the Deuland cap, but I'm not convinced I needed to spend $400 more to chase those last few percentage gains.] I've decided to buy the Nuprime ST-10 amp for Taiwan. It can be delivered there from the factory in Taiwan and avoid any ugly import duties (and the price is a bargain).
All film cap upgrade using Mundorf Tube caps
Two pairs of CV181 tubes

I added XLR connectivity.

Don sells a nice cryo treated PC that he says improves the sound nicely. I expect to buy one, but I'll wait until I actually hear it to decide.

As I mentioned last night. I've been approached by three gentlemen who recently purchased the Model 2 and they can't believe how good it is. I hope to provide my equally stunned and delighted impressions in a month.

I plan to buy a nice tube amp next year. I may decide I gotta have Don's tube amp, or I may go with the Taiwan made tube amp I auditioned last year. It's so hot and humid in Taiwan most of the time that I can't see using a tube amp and tube preamp during the hottest months, so I want a reasonably cool running SS amp that won't break the bank.

I'll be in my Oregon home briefly in September if anyone is in the area and wants to listen to how it sounds paired to my AVA 400R and Gustard X20u DAC. "

Wind Chaser

« Reply #62 on: 26 Jul 2016, 05:22 pm »
I plan to buy a nice tube amp next year.

Hopefully, you'll get a chance to swing by and hear the new Coincident. I think it may very well be the last amp I ever buy.  :D