X-LS build question

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: X-LS build question
« Reply #60 on: 26 Dec 2015, 07:16 am »
I think your speakers look great.  :thumb:

For the Duratex, did you add water to thin it down, how many coats did you apply, and how did you apply the paint?

Michael

cody69

« Reply #61 on: 26 Dec 2015, 12:45 pm »
I've done it both ways and have had equally good results by thinning and by not thinning. Last weekend I coated a pair of X-LS and used a small textured 4" roller that I dipped into the quart can of Duratex. I used two coats, smoothing out the final coat so the finish was not overly aggressive. Great stuff and simple to use.

Danny Richie

« Reply #62 on: 26 Dec 2015, 04:05 pm »
Looks great!

And let's see, the kit was only $109. Then some Duratex, some shipping cost, some MDF and some PVC pipe... I'm guessing about $160 total and now you have some great sounding speakers that you made and your daughter loves....

Merry Christmas to you.  :thumb:

jparkhur

« Reply #63 on: 26 Dec 2015, 08:23 pm »
Great build.  I do like the Duratec option. I used it on some subs and a set of left over zu cubes Danny redid the xo s on. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #64 on: 26 Dec 2015, 11:36 pm »
Great results Kris  :thumb:

Now that you've got the bug, what's next ?

ay

kwhitman

« Reply #65 on: 27 Dec 2015, 06:06 pm »
Thanks guys.  I applied three coats of Duratex straight from the can with the supplied roller.  I did try and gently roll the second and third coats so the texture was less aggressive.  Danny is right these kits are the bargain of the century!

kwhitman

« Reply #66 on: 27 Dec 2015, 06:09 pm »
Those subs look awesome jparkhur!  I too like the Duratex.  I might try spraying it next time to compare the finish.

persisting1

« Reply #67 on: 28 Dec 2015, 09:32 pm »
I used it on some subs and a set of left over zu cubes Danny redid the xo s on.

Did you have the xo redesigned or just upgraded the parts?

Danny Richie

« Reply #68 on: 28 Dec 2015, 09:38 pm »

I designed a new (real) crossover for them.

jparkhur

« Reply #69 on: 28 Dec 2015, 09:51 pm »

Danny is great. There was one part before now there is an actual xo that allows the parts to do what the do best. I was disappointed in the actual parts that came from zu, off the shelf for the most part in a 10 inch box. I had the opportunity to a. B. Compare since I had two. It was mono but significant difference. Smoother for sure. There are still some dips do to the actual speakers and throat that can not be overcome with this design.  It was we worth it for the xo change.  Happy and they mate well with free klipsch 8 inch subs from a neighbor women. 

Folsom

« Reply #70 on: 28 Dec 2015, 10:21 pm »
I designed a new (real) crossover for them.

How are they after you were done with them?

jparkhur

« Reply #71 on: 28 Dec 2015, 10:31 pm »
They are very nice.  I have to figure out what to do for a stand though. I'll post in a new threat the process. Sorry for hijacking this nice build with xls s

Danny Richie

« Reply #72 on: 28 Dec 2015, 10:34 pm »
How are they after you were done with them?

Well, the response is much smoother than they were before. They no longer had out of phase cancellation effects. And it cleaned up some of the ringing in the spectral decay.

Folsom

« Reply #73 on: 28 Dec 2015, 10:43 pm »
so Zu should probably hire you :lol:

jparkhur

« Reply #74 on: 28 Dec 2015, 10:49 pm »
It's all about market share, name brands and getting more profit for less. And that's why we are all here at ac and gr. 
I'll start a thread later but there is 2-3 times as much money in the xo as the drivers and box are at cost.    All companies have their own method and philosophy.    I appreciate Danny's willingness to make the better and take his time away from other projects.