Incredible fullrange driver, Rullit 12" field coil in massive horns

shooter

I am still waiting on parts for my power supply, those high voltage and high current selenium rectifiers are not easy to find, hopefully they will be up and running in another month or so.

beowulf

Thanks, I will be checking back quite often!

shooter

A quick impression while the drivers are still breaking in, these 8" drivers provide even better resolution and imaging than my 12" drivers, no tweeters are needed, the high frequency has more tonality than most ribbon tweeters I have heard, although the Fostex T500mkII super tweeter do have a bit more shimmer on the very top, the bass is quick and has great tone, my friend thought I had subwoofer and was surprised when I told him all that bass came from just a pair of 8" full range drivers, the midrange naturalness is comparable to the Quad 57, the 12"s do sound warmer but the 8" sound more open in comparison, I am very pleased with their performance.

Russell Dawkins

How big is the open baffle you are using for these?

beowulf

Thanks for coming back and giving a few words on them.  +1 to Russell's question and also ... do you have any pics you can share? :thumb:

StevenZ

I hope to make my way into Dallas early next year.  I'd love to hear these and your 12" drivers.  I'm a big fan of fullrange drivers.

Geardaddy

My speaker chasing is over.

spectacular speakers

shooter

Stevenz, You are welcome to come for a listen in the spring. FYI I will be out of the country late February through 2nd week in March.
Here is the 8" driver temporary mounted in the 12" horn, loading is not optimum, just for testing.

beowulf

Wow, I just never get tired of looking at those beautiful speakers! :thumb:

Are you going to build new horns to accommodate the new drivers or going to modify your current ones for optimum loading?

shooter

An extension is being considered to work with the 8" drivers for better loading, unfortunately it won't be anytime soon.
My original plan was to put them in a 160hz Azura type horns, with 4-15" woofers.

StevenZ

Any further updates on the 8" drivers?  I've been in talks with Oleg lately and am very tempted to give his drivers a try.  Still haven't made it up to Dallas though.  However maybe next year i'll be able to hook up with you one day and have a listen if you've still got these speakers.

Cheers,
Steven

shooter

The 8" has stayed in the horns, the system sounds amazing. As I stated in the very first post "my speaker chasing is over", after almost 6 years that statement stays true. So far there is nothing I desire to replace them regardless of cost.
BTW there are 2 more pairs of Rullit Lab series open baffle speaker being built in the DFW area. I haven't heard them yet, drivers are still running in and I should be able to hear them soon. Impression from owners are very positive but told the sound is different from my Super Aeros.
I am also hoping to use my 12" field coil to build a simpler design in 2017.

jayeparsons

Shooter, apologies for old thread post...i'm in process of starting this same project and would love to contact you for more info on your experiences...is there a good way you'd prefer to correspond if not through this thread?  Thank you!  Jay

shooter

Are you using Rullit drivers? If you are which one?

jayeparsons

Yes, I will be...purchase in process.  10" Super Aeros.  Two of my buddies have the slightly smaller versions.  We're experimenting with cabinets and open baffles.  Both of their systems sound amazing.  May I assume yours are in full swing still?

shooter

Fantastic! I have my 12" field coil in open baffle first, the horns sound much better though, never try them in a box. An internet friend in Australia has his Aero 8 in a Telefunken style open baffle box and loved it, you may have read about them online. There are two there pairs of 9" Aero horns like mine being build locally at this moment. You can contact me through private message.

jayeparsons

I may not have enough posts to do that...can you PM me?

RoadTripper

Shooter, whereabouts in Dallas? I'm gonna be in Frisco in a week.

shooter

Near Downtown, only in Dallas part time these days.

gander2

Hi, I just bought some Rullit lab8 field coil speakers and they’re coming to me from Germany. Really looking forward to them. I appreciate your comments and might appreciate your help if needed.

Thanks, Gary