Isabellina thoughts

Travisg

Isabellina thoughts
« on: 15 May 2011, 07:29 pm »
Having owned Two Red Wine Audio Imod modified Apple 5.5 generation iPods, I was already familiar with the sound quality and workmanship that Vinnie Rossi was capable of. I have read several reviews of Red Wine products and have never read anything negative, on the contrary, the gushing thoughts of those individuals that have been lucky enough to audition said products have been borderline crazy. When Vinnie released the Isabellina HPA I longed to own one, and finally sold enough gear to make that dream happen. 
 On arrival of the Isabellina you become aware that this is not some everyday consumer audio device. The quality of the shipping box alone is a thing of beauty. After unboxing the HPA I was immediately impressed by the build quality and workmanship. It has a nice heft, giving me a nice  sense that my money was well spent. I quickly plugged the Isabellina into my system between my MacMini and a Sunfire Theater Grand Signature Edition 425x5 amplifier, going from the output RCA outputs into the front left/right inputs of the Sunfire amp. I opted to get the HPA version with the optional variable RCA outs, so that I could use it as my DAC as well as a preamplifier. And when I say plugged in I don't mean into the wall because the great thing about the Isabellina is that it runs off of battery power. That's right just grab it and go no cords needed. Until it needs to be charged of course 
This will be a short initial overview of the HPA being implemented into my gear rack for two channel stereo listening. Keeping in mind that Vinnie recommends at least 100 hours break-in  time to really make the Isabellina sing. Well all I can say is my ears have never heard anything sound so awesome. The sound stage was so wide coming from my pair of Klipsch RF-7's, I thought I had moved into a concert hall. Bass output was deep and powerful and the treble is to die for, sweet and with nice decay. But in my opinion the Isabellina's most awesome ability is it's midrange. Never has Diane krall and Nora Jones sounded so real and lifelike. So far I could not be happier with this purchase. Next I will be trying out the headphone out ( the real reason I bought the Isabellina ). If you are looking for a high-end DAC/ headphone amp/ digital source switcher that has the most amazing sound you will ever hear, look no farther than the Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA LPF-V. 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Isabellina thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2011, 07:25 pm »
Hi Travis,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

Thanks for joining and posting your initial impressions of your Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition!

Well all I can say is my ears have never heard anything sound so awesome. The sound stage was so wide coming from my pair of Klipsch RF-7's, I thought I had moved into a concert hall. Bass output was deep and powerful and the treble is to die for, sweet and with nice decay. But in my opinion the Isabellina's most awesome ability is it's midrange. Never has Diane krall and Nora Jones sounded so real and lifelike. So far I could not be happier with this purchase. Next I will be trying out the headphone out ( the real reason I bought the Isabellina ).

Glad you are enjoying your first RWA component - and please keep us posted when you roll in that
tube I recommended  :singing:

Happy listening!

Vinnie

javakalle

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm »
I own the first version of isabellina, no mods done so far. I use Rega Saturn for spinning, via analysis plus black digital rca/bnc cable. So far best sound from CD that I have ever heard in my place.

Digital sources before this combination:
Ayon CD-1
Audionet ART v2
Audio Aero Capitole II
Several entry level naim:s
Rega Planet&Apollo

USB playback is done mostly by FLAC:s or Spotify premium. 5m usb cable, from supermarket. Even this combination lets you enjoy from music. You loose something, but the DAC does it so that it doesn't bother. I tried several upsampling DAC:s and many of those were good only connected to cd-player. This one is enjoyable both ways.

Rest of the system:
ATC scm100sl active speakers
Threshold Fet/Ten preamp
+vinyl set

Speakers are quite revealing, you can hear every change in source end. This combination rocks easily, extremely loud with purity and tones.

Isabellina makes the artist feel like flesh and blood. I still prefer good vinyl over digital, but with this DAC I can enjoy also from cd:s.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:36 pm »
I own the first version of isabellina, no mods done so far. I use Rega Saturn for spinning, via analysis plus black digital rca/bnc cable. So far best sound from CD that I have ever heard in my place.

Digital sources before this combination:
Ayon CD-1
Audionet ART v2
Audio Aero Capitole II
Several entry level naim:s
Rega Planet&Apollo

USB playback is done mostly by FLAC:s or Spotify premium. 5m usb cable, from supermarket. Even this combination lets you enjoy from music. You loose something, but the DAC does it so that it doesn't bother. I tried several upsampling DAC:s and many of those were good only connected to cd-player. This one is enjoyable both ways.

Rest of the system:
ATC scm100sl active speakers
Threshold Fet/Ten preamp
+vinyl set

Speakers are quite revealing, you can hear every change in source end. This combination rocks easily, extremely loud with purity and tones.

Isabellina makes the artist feel like flesh and blood. I still prefer good vinyl over digital, but with this DAC I can enjoy also from cd:s.

Are you LFP-V? If not, you still have room to close some of the gap to vinyl.

AdvoCat

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2012, 09:59 pm »
Just received a preowned Isabellina LPF-V DAC,  and seek advice.  I have the option to upgrade to PRO, or forego USB and ultra-hi-rez files for a while (I have no hi-rez files anyway).  I ask because I’m not sure at my relatively advanced age that I will be able to appreciate (i.e., hear) improvement beyond 24/96. 

1.   If I don’t upgrade, I’ll need a USB-SPDIF converter to link to my laptop, which will cost a little coin.  Should I stand pat or buy the converter?   

2.   If I maintain the status quo, any suggestions for the USB-SPDIF link?  Please keep those recommendations to good value/previously-owned links as the PRO upgrade is $500.

Thanks to all for your input!

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2012, 10:04 pm »
AdvoCat, Clarification please: Is your dac a non-USB version? I'm attempting to separate the question of USB vs high rez. K

AdvoCat

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2012, 10:05 pm »
Yes, its non-USB. Not the PRO version (yet).

CSI

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2012, 10:26 pm »
I'll leave to others to comment on the Pro version but I'm pretty sure you can add the USB input option without going full Pro which should save you $. That's the way my Isabellina is configured and to my (also older) ears it is hard to imagine how much better it could be. I use both inputs with alternate sources, USB with a Qsonix server and SPDIF with Sonos/Rhapsody streaming and love them both in spite of the clearly higher res of the USB input.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2012, 10:57 pm »
Yes, its non-USB. Not the PRO version (yet).
Sorry, I work with Vinnie, but not 100% up on nomenclature. So, if I get this right, your choice it to add SPDIF to USB and use your existing unit, with options to go PRO for $500 which adds USB. And these choices do not take into account hi res files.

As usual, I defer to Vinnie's opinion as one of the most valuable...

I run Redbook via Macbook to USB, so no insights in SPDIF to USB converters. My unit is #1 Isabella HPA LFP-V, so I do not have high-res. I did however get a chance to use a full PRO option on an Audeze Edition. On this I went back and forth for Redbook on both NOS and Hi-res dac options. There WAS a difference. And there were trade offs between tone vs absolute resolution. My conclusion is it would be NICE to have the option to switch DACs -- even for Redbook -- at the flip of a switch.

I also had a chance to run a Wavelength Cosecant hi-res dac against the HPA NOS DAC for a while. In this case I oped to sell the Wavelength and stick with RWA NOS.

Admittedly my post is not overflowing with insights. My first recommendation is to check with Vinnie. My second is there will likely be some differences. As to are they worth the  extra $, that only you can decide.

Good luck and keep us informed. K

mrarroyo

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2012, 11:09 pm »
I have had two Isabellina HPA as well as currently own an Isabella LFP-V with both DACs. Personally I prefer the more musical and engaging sound of the NOS DAC via USB. I do not have a lot of 24/96 files but still at 54 YO prefer the USB input and that would be my recommendation. Cheers and enjoy your new toy.

AdvoCat

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm »
Thanks AWM and CSI. 

To clarify, my Isabellina is non-Pro, non-USB.  I intend to connect to a laptop and run ripped Redbook  and 24/96 files.  My options, as I see them, are to (1) purchase a USB-SPDIF converter to link  Izzie to the laptop, (2) upgrade Izzie to USB (like CSI), or to go full out and upgrade to PRO, which will add USB and 24/192 capability.

I'm unsure whether to spring for Option 3.  I'm concerned whether I will be able to discern an appreciable difference between 24/96 and 24/192.  As to Option 2, what are the benefits of upgrading to a direct USB input versus purchasing a USB-SPDIF converter?

mra, thanks for your response and for not shouting in ALLCAPS.

AC

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2012, 02:55 pm »
I'll leave to others to comment on the Pro version but I'm pretty sure you can add the USB input option without going full Pro which should save you $.

Hi AdvoCat,

Welcome to the RWA forum.

CSI is correct - you do not have to upgrade to the PRO dac to add the USB input.

You can still play the 24/96 files on your computer without the PRO dac - it will just play them at 16/44.1. 

As to Option 2, what are the benefits of upgrading to a direct USB input versus purchasing a USB-SPDIF converter?

The benefit would be not having another box in your system (a USB to SPDIF box), and the fact that our USB input converts directly to I2S to feed the dac chip (instead of going USB > SPDIF and then SPDIF to I2S). 

Please feel free to email or call me if you have any other questions.

All the best,

Vinnie

mrarroyo

« Reply #12 on: 1 Nov 2012, 11:06 pm »
Vinnie, doesn't the USB option you offer de-couple the PC electrical from the DAC in the Isabellina? This would reduce the potential of noise due to a dirty power supply in the PC.

mattyturner

« Reply #13 on: 1 Nov 2012, 11:22 pm »
From the website (http://redwineaudio.com/components/isabellina) :

USB input provides “galvanic isolation,” meaning it isolates your computer’s power bus from our internal DAC chip

:)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 4 Nov 2012, 10:18 pm »
More Isabellina LFP-V dac feedback on headfi!   8)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634380/review-red-wine-audio-isabellina-dac

Thanks, Richard!

Vinnie