7BsT vs7BSST

Dokter_doug

7BsT vs7BSST
« on: 24 Jun 2005, 11:52 pm »
What are the differences, in general, between the 7BST and 7BSST monoblocks?

Doug

guest2521

st v st
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2005, 10:40 pm »
I auditioned both and preferred the ST - the SST was better at the frequency extremes but I thought the ST was better in the mid

pauldixonuk

7BsT vs7BSST
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2005, 02:12 pm »
Hi, I just ordered a pair of new 7BSST in pro guise. I've heard that some prefer the older, whilst some like the newer models better. I wen't for the new ones as they have more power and I just love opening new boxes of toys. Plus I got a really decent price through a pro audio shop :D

guest2521

watts
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2005, 05:16 pm »
They actually have the same power - my 7bst is 600w per channel ;-) my 4bst are 300w per channel.

pauldixonuk

7BsT vs7BSST
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2005, 05:44 pm »
I've seen the factory test certificate for a 7BSST running at 1007rms into 4 ohm. Is the 7 ST the same as this into 4ohm? :o

My previous 4BSST was 350rms, so slightly higher than ST.  

Should be here any day now & I'm rather excited!!

guest2521

st v sst
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2005, 05:53 pm »
ok thats possible the 4b st and 7b st are meant to be 250 and 500w but test at 300w and 600w - same as the official sst ratings. I never saw an sst spec sheet. let me know when it arrives! my pre should be back up on monday, but I might have to do some tweaking on the phono now the new chips are in.

pauldixonuk

7BsT vs7BSST
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2005, 06:45 pm »
The factory claims are always lower than real test certificate figures. You need to read the test certificate that comes with the amp. For example:

7ST into 8ohm is.... claimed 500w, test cert = 600w

7SST into 8ohm is... claimed 600w, test cert = ? (Not seen a cert yet)
7SST into 4ohm is... claimed 900w, test cert =1007w (from what I've seen)

Roughly the newer SST models are 20% up on power, give or take, based on 4B models I've seen. Still, both should be ample!

8)

guest2521

sst
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2005, 07:00 pm »
I guess I should have assumed that the sst were over spec too - that will teach me to be too cynical!

pauldixonuk

7BsT vs7BSST
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2005, 07:22 am »
I'll let you know what my test certificates say when my 7SST's turn up. I will be really pissed if they say 999w @ 4ohm. How bloody annoying will that be!

I also wonder if they match them in pairs? If not, I wonder if it matters if one has a few more watts then the other? I suppose they don't bother and the balance on the pre amp is used for that sort of fine tweekery.

:?:

guest2521

power
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2005, 07:58 am »
Paul, the minimum you can hear easily is 1db which corresponds to a factor of 0.8, i.e. if one monoblock put out 600W and the other put out 540 then you would notice it. Mine are the same to within about 10W. Rememebr also thatthe sensntivity figure for the ib1 INCLUDES the 4 ohm load factor. so your monoblocks will only put 600W into 89db/wm. Or if you prefer 1000W into 86 bb/wm which is the true sensitivity of the ib1s

pauldixonuk

7BsT vs7BSST
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2005, 08:43 am »
I have IB2's by the way, not 1's. :wink:

I understand they are 4ohm, so the amp will provid up to 1kw in that format. If they had been 8ohm, the amp would have only shown up to 600 (or a tad more, depending on test figures).

I know the sensitivity is a seperate issue, and guessed it's overall loudness had already been taken into account with regard to the usual measuring procedures. However I'm not that fussed over their max output, as I will probably only use 2/3 of it's ability at a push. Even then that will probably only be now and again. I guess normal listening will be well under half it's potential. Unlike you, with your concrete walls, you noisey sod!  :mrgreen:

guest2521

early morning fog
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2005, 08:50 am »
;-) sorry i only just got up. I am off this week to watch the tennis. preamp new ehadamp are now up and running!

pauldixonuk

7BsT vs7BSST
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2005, 08:54 am »
Are you watching the game from home or are you popping down there?

I'm going to take a week off work when I demo pre amps in a few weeks. So far I've lined up AVI, BAT, AR, Chord, up against my iccle benchmark. That will be enough to choose a favorite from the bunch. Would be interesting to see how my top dog compares to your new fangled collection of bits. I expect the BAT will triump to my ears due to the valves  :idea:

guest2521

tennis
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2005, 08:58 am »
Yes watching the game at home. Impossible to get decent tickets at wimbledon and you get pot luck.

Do not underestimate the power of the solid state side ;)

Dokter_doug

7BsT vs7BSST
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2005, 01:59 pm »
As per my original question...what are the differences (electronically) between the 7B ST's and the 7B SST's...does anyone know?

I know that some of the SST models are the same (supposedly) as the ST models. Is this true for the 7 series as well?

Doug

pauldixonuk

7BsT vs7BSST
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2005, 02:05 pm »
I read about it years ago. I think it was something to do with general tweekery to improve various sonic aspects. I think the general idea was the newer ones sound cleaner with less noise. As with all things I'm sure it's pretty damn subtle, as it's a development, not an all out revolution of design. However with all things it comes down to personal preference. One persons 'clean' is anothers 'too clinical'.

Just get the older ones if you can't afford the extra outlay for peace of mind, or don't care about the slight sonic difference. Just be careful they've come from a good home and not thrashed in a home studio 24-7. Some used studio gear I've seen has been spent. Particuarly older ATC speakers etc.

pauldixonuk

7BsT vs7BSST
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2005, 02:12 pm »
Another reason I bought new was I really wanted black pro models, for the cosmetic reasons. The only ones I kept seeing second hand were silver 17", which I don't like. Also, most used pro models, if you see them, would have had a rather tough life imo.

guest2521

st v sst
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2005, 04:27 pm »
The 6b and 14b st and ssst are the same. otherwise the sst range has different output devices to the sst plus some other minor chnages re: swiotching and gain and the like.

pauldixonuk

7BsT vs7BSST
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2005, 05:29 pm »
You been drinking at lunchtime?  :D