Good adventures in Planarland

studiotech

Good adventures in Planarland
« on: 25 Feb 2023, 09:14 pm »
Sorry, Steve.  I couldn't resist the title.

Had a lot planar goodness happening the last 6 months.  We completed two more studio monitors and I got the chance to hang out with Dr. C. of Audeze and various other planar design fame.  He brought some DragonFire branded PA speaker systems to a church in Florida for demo purposes and I was lucky enough to get a chance to help out and hang out for two days.  These arrays are seriously impressive and sound like big, beautiful hifi, scaled up PA system output levels.

studiotech

Re: Good adventures in Planarland
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2023, 09:19 pm »
Here's the smaller set.  There are 3 planar drivers inside each module, firing into a combined slot load channel.  You can continue to clip modules together and splay them at an angle or hang them from the ceiling with built-in rigging points until the array is as large as you need for a given throw distance and SPL.  In this case, two modules and two woofer boxes.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2023, 09:35 pm »
I like the paint job on the blue and purple ones. It's too bad the blue one was done with the drivers already in place. Would have looked much cleaner if the airbrushing wasn't cut off right around the drivers. Either way, great idea for the airbrush candy over veneer look. Definitely gives those things a modern pop to the appearance.  :thumb:

studiotech

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2023, 10:33 pm »
I like the paint job on the blue and purple ones. It's too bad the blue one was done with the drivers already in place. Would have looked much cleaner if the airbrushing wasn't cut off right around the drivers. Either way, great idea for the airbrush candy over veneer look. Definitely gives those things a modern pop to the appearance.  :thumb:

It was finished BEFORE the drivers were in place.  This is the effect the client wanted.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2023, 01:42 am »
Must just be the way the photo makes it look with how it's sitting. Either way, I love the look.  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2023, 10:49 am »
The black stack looks like it'll do the job!