2BLP and Speaker cable mismatch ?

oris98

« on: 16 Apr 2005, 08:10 am »
Hi all,
I just got a second hand PS Audio Xtreme Plus speaker cables (8 awg wire) to work with my 2B to drive the tweater (Biamp setup).  The  Plus cable sounded wider and better imaging than my older DIY 89259 speak cables.  However, whenever I cranked up the volume a bit, it starts clipping and both the red cliping lights freshing in a 3-4 secounds interval.  A loud popping noise came out from my speakers.  Even though I turned it off for 10 minutes and restarted it again, the popping noise still continue.  To stop the poping noice, I had to shutdown my 2B for over a few hours.  Low noise has such no problem.   I then swapped my 89259 cables back in and take the PS Plus cable out of the picture, the poping noice is gone, even if I turn the volume high.

So the new cable is causing the clipping problem..  What is happing ???  
Are there any options for me to continue using the PS Plus without causing the clipping problem ?

Many thanks in advance..

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2005, 09:52 pm »
8 awg? I have used 16 awg copper cables with the 2B-LP and had excellent results. Try some OFC 16 or 14ga and see what you think.
-Bill

nicolasb

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2005, 08:48 am »
Oris98, forgive me for being obvious, but have you checked everything over really carefully to make sure there are no short circuits?

oris98

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2005, 08:07 am »
Hi,

I don't know what I have done.  I disconnected all the cables and reconnect them again and now it works ok :)   It could be some how it shorted somewhere.   I am suprise that the 2BLP can handle shorting with the fuse still intact..  It must be very well built..

Thanks all for the support..

gaderson

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2005, 11:32 am »
Quote from: oris98
Hi,

I don't know what I have done.  I disconnected all the cables and reconnect them again and now it works ok :)   It could be some how it shorted somewhere.   I am suprise that the 2BLP can handle shorting with the fuse still intact..  It must be very well built..

Thanks all for the support..

How, warm does it run?  Mine seems to be hot--can't turn off so I just leave on, and mute my BP-25.

oris98

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2005, 06:55 am »
Hi Guys,
I have the similar situation happen on my again and this time I did not touch anything on the cabling at all.  It was working for over a month and one evening, I turned on the 2BLP, same problem.  I turned it off for a few hours and tried again without touching any of the wires or cables,  problem is gone..

I am starting to suspect the 2BLP which I purchased used 3 months ago is some how defective.  It should still be under warranty.  Can I send it back to bryston for a check up ?  Also if I do send it back, will Bryston upgdate  some of the parts of the unit to bring it up to date too ?

James, would you be able to comment on this?
Many thanks.