What subs with Magnipan's

Saturn94

Re: What subs with Magnipan's
« Reply #20 on: 14 Oct 2022, 12:35 am »
Quote from: BikeFi10 link=topic=182198.msg1926904#msg1926904date=1665687706
… Wife isnt happy til volume is at 70 -75%. Feared I blew it one night it rattled, but I think its ok…

IMHO, you need a more capable (or a second?) sub to accommodate your wife’s listening preference.

A well integrated Maggie/sub(s) combo is an awesome listening experience whether you want a solid subtle low end foundation or a full body massage (I can have both with my sub). :thumb:  BTW, reducing panel excursion in the Maggies also cleans up higher frequencies. :wink:

stonedeaf

« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2022, 01:32 am »
It's sorta funny-I've  got a recent post on another forum running right now - thanking the designers for what I suspect is really effective sub-sonic filtering. It's what makes our shared untreated audio obsession so interesting -sometimes we're after the same things and sometimes not :-) ..

BikeFi10

« Reply #22 on: 15 Oct 2022, 06:49 pm »
I probably should mention my listening room is 20 x30 x 7.5 so a 2nd sub would " fill in " better. Could be improved with room treatments too. Also it is just a music rig no HT. Guess my wife likes to FEEL the bass.
Ive been listening more to jazz and female singers which my one Rel does great with, but rock and dance music needs that heavy kick which Im in agreement with wife.
Soon Ill be posting pix of very sold stands Im making. These dang things are about 20 lbs each. We ll see /hear if all the fuss about upgrade stands makes a difference.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 15 Oct 2022, 07:00 pm »
Easy, get some OB subs that will match the radiation pattern of the Maggies.  My vote is for the GR Research OB subs.

WGH

« Reply #24 on: 15 Oct 2022, 08:12 pm »
I probably should mention my listening room is 20 x30 x 7.5 so a 2nd sub would " fill in " better... Guess my wife likes to FEEL the bass.
Ive been listening more to jazz and female singers which my one Rel does great with, but rock and dance music needs that heavy kick which Im in agreement with wife.

I suggest you call REL, they have excellent pre-sales customer service. I have called them a couple of times, they are happy and friendly folks.

Depending on what model your existing REL is, you may get that heavy kick by selling your REL and putting the money toward a kick-butt REL like the Carbon Special, the carbon fiber driver with a 2" stroke can really move a lot of air.
https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/serie-s/carbon-special/

BikeFi10

« Reply #25 on: 16 Oct 2022, 06:14 pm »
Guess I saw too many Rels mentioned here  :duh: Mine is a Rythmik servo 12" 400w sub. They are known for being more subtle which I knew before buying. Maybe Ill get one of those rumble transducers for my wifes chair for her bass needs, lol.
As far as GRs OB, yes nice, but my next 4 figure spend will be an amp upgrade. Time for my 42 yr old Carver to make way for something like Bryson or Odessey, but thats another topic.

jjss49

« Reply #26 on: 16 Oct 2022, 10:28 pm »
rels do the job exceptionally well, and a matching pair of them do even better with maggies (and most 2 channel setups for that matter)

that said, the augmentation that well integrated subs provided can be quite subtle or utterly and stunningly impressive, depends greatly on how much true bass and spatial content is on a specific recording

folks can set the sub output level to their desires, but generally doing it right should bear in mind the adage 'less is more' ... if the bass sounds too 'impressive' most of the time, you probably have them dialed up a few notches too much

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #27 on: 16 Oct 2022, 10:38 pm »
Guess I saw too many Rels mentioned here  :duh: Mine is a Rythmik servo 12" 400w sub. They are known for being more subtle which I knew before buying. Maybe Ill get one of those rumble transducers for my wifes chair for her bass needs, lol.
As far as GRs OB, yes nice, but my next 4 figure spend will be an amp upgrade. Time for my 42 yr old Carver to make way for something like Bryson or Odessey, but thats another topic.

My son has a Rythmik F12se and he loves it but it lacks that in your chest thump.  If you want that, then go with an SVS non ported SB-3000 or 4000 or even the SB Ultra 16.  These subs will give you that thump.  In addition, they can be controlled with a Remote app with your cell phone and they have a 3 band eq.  Rythmiks will integrate better with Maggies but I think that I would prefer a more impactful bass without having to turn it up too much. The remote app is a no brainer if you have people in the house that prefer more impactful bass. You can change it on the fly.

I run dual Martin Logan subs with my 1.6's.  They integrate seamlessly but they are small subs.

Chops

« Reply #28 on: 2 Nov 2022, 10:57 pm »
Late here, but for those that are here I bought 1.7i s. My wife who listens with me more than not demanded more bass. My previous speakers were klipsch ported towers with matching ported sub, alot of base. Read many great things about Rythmix servos and went with 12" sealed 400w sub. To me it is sharp and clear not muddy like klipsch. Wife isnt happy til volume is at 70 -75%. Feared I blew it one night it rattled, but I think its ok.
I recently pulled 1.7i s from main amp and fed them from the Rythmix panel amp HP XO. Now the 1.7i s are xo at 80hz. Im impressed how just the 1 sub carrys the low end and kinda think the 1.7i s sound a bit clearer. Wife hasnt heard xo change yet, but I think I can get away with it.

Hate to say it, but the Rythmik amps do not send a high-pass out to the main speakers. The crossover in them is low-pass only. Unless something has changed and they haven't updated in the info on their site, but doubtful.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #29 on: 3 Nov 2022, 12:39 am »
Wendell's doing the rounds with a Magnepan sub, one reviewer said it's worth keeping in the back of your mind.
Release date, pricing, who knows.

stonedeaf

« Reply #30 on: 3 Nov 2022, 12:45 am »
I think Wendell's been touring this for awhile -we don't seem any closer to production ?

Saturn94

« Reply #31 on: 3 Nov 2022, 04:29 pm »
I think Wendell's been touring this for awhile -we don't seem any closer to production ?

Yeah, Magnepan has been talking about their “sub” for a long time now.  Where’s the beef!? 🤣

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #32 on: 3 Nov 2022, 06:36 pm »
Easy, get some OB subs that will match the radiation pattern of the Maggies.  My vote is for the GR Research OB subs.

PERFECT

charles

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #33 on: 4 Nov 2022, 12:47 am »
Heck, where's their headphones?
Retired with Jim Winey, that's where.

jjss49

« Reply #34 on: 4 Nov 2022, 04:03 am »
in the long run we are all dead, right??   :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #35 on: 4 Nov 2022, 12:12 pm »
If DIY is an option for you; Ripol subs blend superbly with planar speakers.  Ripols are essentially a folded baffle dipole with a cardioid radiation pattern.  I use a pair of them with my ESL's and I love their compact size and clean, non-boomy sound.  If you're interested; PM me your email address and I will send you my drawing and parts list. 

BrassEar

« Reply #36 on: 12 Nov 2022, 06:43 pm »
If you want the best sub for Maggies/$$ it's the RSL Speedwoofer hands down.  I have tried too many subs to list and the latest RSL blends perfectly with Maggies. It's right up there with the RELs and open baffles but at a fraction of the price. I didn't really believe this until I tried one.