Stream9 connected by ethernet but is actually using WiFi

markmuse

I recently went into my router to check some things and saw that my Stream9 is actually using WiFi and not ethernet! I can find no way to force it to use ethernet. Can anyone help me with that?
Thanks in advance.

sledwards

Re: Stream9 connected by ethernet but is actually using WiFi
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2022, 09:59 pm »
Did you do this (from the manual):

Maybe then when you launch the app, skip the wireless auto setup for ethernet only.

markmuse

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2022, 12:14 am »
Tried power on (from back switch) and pressed the red button, but no change. The manual says pressing the button once will force the unit to search for the WiFi signal again.

Perhaps I should press and hold to reset? If I do this will I lose my presets?

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2022, 04:59 am »
You have to RESET the Stream-9 and then don't setup the WiFi so it won't connect to your network. You will lose the presets.

markmuse

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2022, 10:25 am »
Thank you!

markmuse

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2022, 07:16 pm »
Well, the trouble continues. I have done a factory reset numerous times. A few seconds after the reset the voice says WiFi restored. I can't get it to simply use the ethernet connection. The device WANTS to use WiFi. This has become very frustrating.

How do I override its desire to use WiFi and force it to use ethernet?

In the software device setup, when I select use other network only WiFi access points are displayed, no ethernet options.

In the Browse screen: Select a source on device... This always reverts to WiFi. There is no ethernet option. If I select Co-Axial (I know this is not ethernet) it interrupts the stream.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2022, 08:48 pm »
Can you go into your router configuration and temporarily turn off Wi-Fi?
Then do a Stream-9 RESET
At that point the Stream-9 won't have a choice

Does it have the latest firmware? Can it be updated over ethernet while Wi-Fi is off?
https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/stream-9/?v=7516fd43adaa

If the Stream-9 always reconnects to Wi-Fi, then it's a feature, not a flaw and you will have to change router's Wi-Fi password.

markmuse

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2022, 03:43 pm »
Update: I was able to force the Stream9 to use ethernet, but I quickly discovered it sounds much better using WiFi! That was a big surprise. I even tried with LPS on all ethernet components, cat 8 cable, and a highly regarded noise filter. Go figure.

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2022, 06:10 pm »
Normally wired ethernet should sound better, but there could be excessive noise from the power supply of the router.

markmuse

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2022, 08:49 pm »
I have a linear power supply on the router. I normally associate bright edgy sound with noise. The ethernet feed was smooth but dull with significantly less detail and less depth in the projected image. I have a network card in my Bricasti DAC, and I had an Aurender streamer here. Both off them exhibited the same behavior as the Stream9 with an ethernet feed.