Introducing myself

Pleasant0

Introducing myself
« on: 12 May 2022, 03:50 pm »
Hi I'm a music lover from the Netherlands. I'm interesting in buying the X-Bravo's or NX-Studio Monitors. This will be my first speakers. I want to make the switch from headphones to speakers. The X-Bravo's or NX-Studio Monitors shall also become the foundation of a future home cinema.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2022, 07:52 pm »
Greetings & Welkom to AC Pleasant0   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2022, 08:57 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2022, 05:59 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Spaatz880

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2022, 11:37 am »
Introducing Myself. Looking forward to participating in this forum.

Dan

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2022, 11:49 am »
Welcome!

I'm curious as to why you'd be drawn to an American speaker kit.

Pleasant0

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2022, 05:57 pm »
Welcome!

I'm curious as to why you'd be drawn to an American speaker kit.
Thank you.
Because I haven't found anything comparable in the EU. Before I discovered DIY Speakers was a thing, I was looking at the Quad S-2.
But as an Technician it intrigued me to start building DIY speakers with quality parts. To be honest the CSS Criton 1TD-X also looks great.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2022, 08:44 am »
If you have a woodworker there is the Frugal Horn XL for 6'' FR drivers, it will increase the bass under 300Hz to backward a valuable feature and yet crossoverless, Dave charge only $20 for the complete plans if I remember well;
https://www.frugal-horn.com/FHXL.html
In your country there is or there was this dealer.
Rumoh -- The Netherlands (Rudy -- this effort may have stalled)
http://www.rumoh.nl/
« Last Edit: 15 May 2022, 08:47 am by FullRangeMan »

JLM

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2022, 02:05 pm »
I've heard both GR and CSS and CSS impressed me more in terms of build/design and sound quality.  Yet for twice the money passive Dynaudio easily bested the CSS. 

As a technican you should appreciate the decades of leading edge R&D that go into products from the likes of Dynaudio, Focal, or JBL.  And as a retired engineer I appreciate the advantages of active loudspeaker design.  Active doesn't have to be expensive either.  Look into JBL 305 Mk2, Kali, Adam, even Dynaudio or Focal. 

Pleasant0

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2022, 08:08 am »
If you have a woodworker there is the Frugal Horn for 6'' FR drivers, it will increase the bass under 300Hz to backward a valuable feature and yet crossoverless, Dave charge only $20 for the complete plans if I remember well;
https://www.frugal-horn.com/FHXL.html
In your country there is or there was this dealer.
Rumoh -- The Netherlands (Rudy -- this effort may have stalled)
http://www.rumoh.nl/

Thank you for the suggestions. I don't have a woodworker and I want bookshelf speakers. I going look into Rumoh then their website is out of maintains.

Pleasant0

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2022, 08:38 am »
I've heard both GR and CSS and CSS impressed me more in terms of build/design and sound quality.  Yet for twice the money passive Dynaudio easily bested the CSS. 
Interesting. Do you consider 1TD-X to be better dan the XLS-Encore/X-Bravo or NX-Studio Monitors or both?
As a technican you should appreciate the decades of leading edge R&D that go into products from the likes of Dynaudio, Focal, or JBL.  And as a retired engineer I appreciate the advantages of active loudspeaker design.  Active doesn't have to be expensive either.  Look into JBL 305 Mk2, Kali, Adam, even Dynaudio or Focal.
Of course I appreciate that, but my wallet doesn't  :D. The appeal for me that I can diy speakers that can rival the more expensive Buchardt, Sonus Faber, Elac, Dynaudio etc.

JLM

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2022, 01:58 pm »
Seems like proud papa syndrome, a very prevalent aspect of DIY audio.  Understand that DIY should be much cheaper than for profit manufacturing.  But I wouldn't discount decades of R&D, or the value of anechoic chambers, true A/B testing setups, quality listening comparisons, etc. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2022, 02:14 pm »
  But I wouldn't discount decades of R&D, or the value of anechoic chambers, true A/B testing setups, quality listening comparisons, etc.
The GR-Research kits have been developed using all of these things you mention.  I can personally say their top lines have more than competed against prestigious names at major audio shows- Dynaudio, Wilson, Sonus Faber, TAD. 

And welcome to Audio Circle, Pleasant0.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2022, 02:34 pm »
diy speakers that can rival the more expensive Buchardt, Sonus Faber, Elac, Dynaudio etc.
These famous brands made commercial speakers to a hi-end price point, all will look great in a room but emit sound only to front and use a cross-over, at least these manufacturers could use a coaxial woofer, but they dont even bother it, certainly a well made OB DIY project will have success.

Pleasant0

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2022, 02:56 pm »
The GR-Research kits have been developed using all of these things you mention.  I can personally say their top lines have more than competed against prestigious names at major audio shows- Dynaudio, Wilson, Sonus Faber, TAD. 

And welcome to Audio Circle, Pleasant0.
Thank you.

Pleasant0

« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2022, 03:02 pm »
diy speakers that can rival the more expensive Buchardt, Sonus Faber, Elac, Dynaudio etc.
certainly a well made OB DIY project will have success.
That's what I thought too. If I look for example at the CSS 1TD-X reviews across the internet, the 1TD-X beats couple $1000s more expensive speakers.
That's why I want to DIY.