Tell us about your headphone rig....

bigjako

Re: Tell us about your headphone rig....
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jun 2022, 02:41 pm »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2022, 11:11 pm »
I wrote to Stax to see if I can't get a new band for my old Sigmas and that got me poking around some and next week: SR-404s with the Stax amp and old RCA tubes.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 31 Jul 2022, 11:38 am »
Sweet!

AudioDuck

• Music. It’s all about the music.
« Reply #23 on: 31 Jul 2022, 07:14 pm »
These days I’ve pared my gear down a little, as all of my listening time was with the Woo Audio WA2 (below), as it has excellent NOS tubes and a top-notch fuse in place.

Plus, my two ZMF headphones (Eikon & Auteur) pair so well with the tubes that it is quite magical!

GeorgeAb

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2022, 07:38 pm »
Used for late night listening. NUC Rock running Roon, Raspberry Pi4 as Bridge, Chord Qutest DAC, Auralic Taurus MKII Headphone Amp, Sennheiser HD800S Headphones.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 2 Aug 2022, 11:57 pm »
No luck from Stax on a new headband but I was able to glue the thing back together using an acetone/ABS slurry.
This inspired me to do a temporary lash up of stuff that was sitting around so I wound up with a Rega Saturn CD player, Conrad-Johnson MF-2275 amp and a Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp.
Overkill for a little pair of headphones but it all worked out really well,
This Fall I'll drag it upstairs and add an old Harman-Kardon tube tuner I've been letting sit for years or maybe add some Mini Maggies to the mix.

« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2022, 05:01 pm by SteveFord »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 3 Aug 2022, 08:24 pm »
The Stax 404s are here and I really couldn't ask for anything more.
I need a better set of headphones for my WooAudio 6 but I don't think I'll find anything I like better than the Stax.

Also have a new headband on order for the Sigmas, I'm told a current Lamba one will fit.
Guess I'll find out.
  Nope, later models use stout pins to hold the ear speakers on, Sigmas take skinny ones.  I think I can make some adaptors out of Allen bolts, we'll see.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2022, 05:04 pm by SteveFord »

DogsPart2

« Reply #27 on: 11 Aug 2022, 04:12 pm »
2 system as well

Study; Woo WA7 (2nd Gen) for Flac files

Main; Woo WA 2 for redbook and Flac.  Driven by a McIntosh D100 DAC - soon to be replaced by the DAC2 module in my McIntosh MA8950 on order (10 weeks and counting)

Original cans were HD650 w/ Cardas Cable.

Upgraded to HD800 and loved them so much purchased a 2nd Pair : HD800S

Fairly certain I will be at my end game once the new 8950 arrives.

AudioDuck

• Music. It’s all about the music.
« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug 2022, 07:52 pm »
Main; Woo WA 2 for redbook and Flac.  Driven by a McIntosh D100 DAC - soon to be replaced by the DAC2 module in my McIntosh MA8950 on order (10 weeks and counting)

Original cans were HD650 w/ Cardas Cable.

Upgraded to HD800 and loved them so much purchased a 2nd Pair : HD800S

Fairly certain I will be at my end game once the new 8950 arrives.

As another WA2 owner with headphones that work well with it (in my case, ZMFs), I agree that a WA2 with good tubes, clean AC power, and a high-quality source has hit the point of very rapidly diminishing returns.

I know I’m very happy with my WA2 and high-impedance headphones, and my DAC is plenty good enough to match… I like the WA2 so much that I will be using it as my preamp as well!  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 16 Aug 2022, 09:34 pm »
A "new" Sherwood S3000-V tube tuner showed up, these old things are great.
On one song somebody is hitting a block of wood with a stick and it sounded like it was coming from outside the front door, not inside the headphones.

polycentric

« Reply #30 on: 26 Sep 2022, 05:14 am »
I'm running a nuforce DAC-80 into Luxman P1U to drive my focal clears.
Used to have a pair of Stax SR-303 from the SRM-323A but decided to try some more dynamic cans and have enjoyed the sound.

daleda1

« Reply #31 on: 28 Sep 2022, 09:07 pm »
Dan Clark Aeon with 4.4mm balanced cable into fully balanced ifi Zen Signature Dac, headamp., and phono preamp stack. Also Meze Wood 99 classic also with 4.4mm balanced cable. Finally Sennheiser hd600 redesigned with 4.4mm balanced cable, sheepskin ear cups, comfort head strap under original one.

Carlman

« Reply #32 on: 29 Sep 2022, 01:26 am »
I am 'in transition' on my headphones rig.
I only want 1 "really nice" setup that is very portable, when I can't spend time in my sound room. I have young children, lots of competing factors for my time and attention, so it has to be easy too.

The old setup included ADL 128's w/ a Pixel 4a source.
Currently using ETA mini closed headphones and Hidzis DAC. 4.4 balanced, using ninja cables. Source is either Pixel 5a or Samsung S9. For streaming, the Pixel sounds a little better, using the same DAC through USB c.. kind of surprising. 
Since the Samsung has an SD card, I use the Onkyo HF app with local FLAC files, and that sounds ultimately the best.

I also have 1more quad iem's which I think sound good on everything.  They don't even make the lists I've found of iem's.. good, bad, or otherwise.  I do wonder if there is something better.  But not knowing is financially a good place to be.  :)

I really want to try a Chord mojo DAC. If anyone is interested in lending or selling let me know. 

I plan to do more critical listening this week and record my thoughts on this new rig.  So far, I am very pleased with what I have, it's far superior to anything I've had. I'd also like to hear some Aeon's one day. If, for no other reason, to see what all the fuss is about.  :)

Also, still waiting for some of this new stuff to burn in.  Every time I listen it gets a little better and my minor complaints start evaporating.

Rocket

« Reply #33 on: 5 Oct 2022, 12:30 pm »
Hi Guys,

I most listen to headphones when I'm in the office. It helps me to concentrate and block out the noises. I usually use bluetooth to my sennheiser headphones or final audio iem's.

I recently purchased a FiiO KA1 Lightning USB DAC & Headphone Amplfier and use it with my iPhone 13 pro max into a Fostex TH-00 Massdrop Headphones and Audio Technics MX50 headphones.. Its quite a nice sound and I like the fact that the dac/amp is quite small.

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2022, 11:07 am by Rocket »

LedZep

« Reply #34 on: 5 Oct 2022, 02:33 pm »
Sony MDR 7506 and Mytek 192 (silver version). I use them if I can't run the speakers.

yeldarb

« Reply #35 on: 12 Oct 2022, 05:07 pm »
Listening to a Massdrop Cavelli hybrid with my modded Fostex RP50.  The dac is a Schiit Bifrost 2 fed by my laptop or Onkyo cd.  I also have an Asgard 3 amp and an Ack! dac.  And Massdrop Sennheiser 6xx (650).  It all sounds good.

Carlman

« Reply #36 on: 20 Nov 2022, 12:36 pm »
Well, my headphone/portable HiFi system journey has come to an end (at least for the next few years). 
The ifi iDSD signature DAC is my new source. It is very detailed.  Presents mids and highs without being sibilant or digitally etched. The bass is very exacting, almost annoyingly so. Not sure how to describe it. However this is a truly spectacular DAC on its own, the fact that it's portable and rechargeable is an astounding feat.   If I fed this into a tubed preamp, I think I'd be in heaven. 
The ifi will feed the headphones directly, I'm not going down the tube rabbit hole with this setup. I have found some extremely balanced natural sounding headphones that let me thoroughly immerse myself in the music.  The ETA model S is my final destination. Very happy with this combo.
I wrote a ridiculously long review and Discovery experience here.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #37 on: 21 Jan 2023, 03:24 am »
Started my first dabble into the headphone world today. Only threw a few bucks at it since I really love 2 channel speakers best, but wanted something to listen to while wife is sleeping. I picked up Hifiman Sundara headphones and a Schiit Magni+ amp. I do need to sort some longer headphone cables as right now I have to piggyback an extension and adapter. Does anyone have a recommendation for an affordable decent cable for 1/4" to dual 1/8" at about 6 or 8' in length?

AllanS

« Reply #38 on: 21 Jan 2023, 03:10 pm »
Not a specific recommendation but my first stop for something customish sounding would be Blue Jeans Cable.
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/headphone-cables.htm

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #39 on: 21 Jan 2023, 04:37 pm »
Started my first dabble into the headphone world today. Only threw a few bucks at it since I really love 2 channel speakers best, but wanted something to listen to while wife is sleeping. I picked up Hifiman Sundara headphones and a Schiit Magni+ amp. I do need to sort some longer headphone cables as right now I have to piggyback an extension and adapter. Does anyone have a recommendation for an affordable decent cable for 1/4" to dual 1/8" at about 6 or 8' in length?

These might work:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29515

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29516

I've had very good results with a couple Monolith cables from Monoprice, not these specifically.  Hifiman used to sell cables, you might try them.

You can also use an extension cable from your stock cable.  Grado has a decent 1/4" extension cable, I have an extension from Audioquest that I liked better.