NuPrime PRA-9X ($1195, shipping April 15)

rustydoglim

NuPrime PRA-9X ($1195, shipping April 15)
« on: 9 Apr 2022, 08:01 am »
The NuPrime PRA-9X is a fully balanced preamplifier designed for ultra-low distortion that includes a MM phono input and a 6.3mm headphone output. There are a variety of settings for matching different MM cartridges.

https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/pra-9x/

Nidri17

Re: NuPrime PRA-9X ($1195, shipping April 15)
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2022, 07:49 pm »
Hi, does this use the MUSES 72320 chip as volume control?

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2022, 11:45 am »
Hi, does this use the MUSES 72320 chip as volume control?
It is an opamp and used at various places.

PRA-9X THD+N is 0.0005%, compare to the old NuForce P-9 or P-20 0.003%. 
It is an extremely transparent preamp, that's what you want in a preamp in most cases.

Relayer_CR

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2022, 05:28 pm »
Hi, I'm interested in this preamp!  But I have a concern.

I want to connect 3 outputs to the pre (amplifier, headphone amp and subwoofer), however this pre has with only 2 outputs.  This is what I'd do, and I'd like to know if this makes sense:
  1 - Connect stereo amp by means of xlr
  2 - Connect subwoofer by means of RCA
  3 - Connect headphone amplifier* by means of RCA

So I'd connect headphone amp and subwoofer, at the same time, to the pair RCA outputs (left and right) using two Y-RCA splitters (one for left, other for right) to split each single signal to two signals and so to 2 devices.  What do you think about of this, makes sense, is there any mistake or inconvenience on doing this way? Are there other ways to connect both devices at the same time.

* I'd take advance of fixed volume feature: when using headphone amp I'll set to fixed volume and the subwoofer will be shut down, when using speakers I'll use variable volume and subwoofer will be turned on.

Basically I'd like to know if what I plan to do is possible, makes sense, or if there are errors or defects on doing this?

I have 2 sources: DAC, Blu-Ray player and turntable.

Thank you for your help!

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2022, 01:08 pm »
PRA-9X has three outputs if you count the headphone amp in addition to XLR and RCA.

Did you miss the headphone amp output on the front panel?

Relayer_CR

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2022, 05:24 pm »
Let me know if I am understanding: I require a cable that convert the 6.3mm headphones out to RCA stereo, then I can connect it to  headphone amp, and set pre to fixed vol.  Is this correct?  Sounds easy!

Thank you!

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2022, 07:52 pm »
I see, you want to use another headphone amp. But if your headphone amp has volume control, then you can just connect PRA-9X RCA output to the headphone amp, and use the XLR output for power amp.

Relayer_CR

« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2022, 10:04 pm »
I want to connect to 3 output devices (not 2), see my msge. below.

I understood that an option is to connect from headphone output (in PRA-9X) to my headphone amp (Topping A90) input stereo RCA (I'll convert from 6.3mm headphone to RCA stereo), then I'd set PRA-9X to fixed vol. to use the headphone amp vol. control.  Is there any drawback on doing this?

Other idea is to connect headphone amp and subwoofer simultaneously, from RCA outputs (in PRA-9X) using two Y-RCA splitters (one for left, other for right), so from left RCA I'd connect to left input subwoofer and to left input in the headphone amp (the same for right channel).  I don't like this idea because it will be sending an audio signal to the subwoofer always, and at some moments I wan to use only my headphones.

Hi, I'm interested in this preamp!  But I have a concern.

I want to connect 3 outputs to the pre (amplifier, headphone amp and subwoofer), however this pre has with only 2 outputs.  This is what I'd do, and I'd like to know if this makes sense:
  1 - Connect stereo amp by means of xlr
  2 - Connect subwoofer by means of RCA
  3 - Connect headphone amplifier* by means of RCA

So I'd connect headphone amp and subwoofer, at the same time, to the pair RCA outputs (left and right) using two Y-RCA splitters (one for left, other for right) to split each single signal to two signals and so to 2 devices.  What do you think about of this, makes sense, is there any mistake or inconvenience on doing this way? Are there other ways to connect both devices at the same time.

* I'd take advance of fixed volume feature: when using headphone amp I'll set to fixed volume and the subwoofer will be shut down, when using speakers I'll use variable volume and subwoofer will be turned on.

Basically I'd like to know if what I plan to do is possible, makes sense, or if there are errors or defects on doing this?

I have 2 sources: DAC, Blu-Ray player and turntable.

Thank you for your help!

Relayer_CR

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2022, 10:50 pm »
This is what I'm thinking, I'd like to know if any (or both) of these options are possible and if there are any drawbacks:

Notes::
 - Stereo amplifier will be connected to the XLR outputs (not shown in the drawings).
 - Any time I'd use the headphone amp, the volume in PRA-9X will be set to fixed.

Option one for connecting two devices at the same time using RCA only:

Option two for connecting two devices at the same time, using RCA and headphone output:

Thank you very much for your help!

madinaudio

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2022, 01:10 am »
Hello

can give me the differences between the PRA9X and the NUFORCE P9. In terms of sound signature, is the PRA9X clearer, more lively! (less matte) than the P9.
Regards

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2022, 04:56 am »
Correct. PRA-9X is better than the Nuforce P-9 in every way.

Fenek

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2022, 10:31 am »
An additional micro switch for +20db gain  for MC cardridges would be fine.