Burn In

Daryl Zero

Re: Burn In
« Reply #20 on: 1 Apr 2022, 03:10 pm »
Mr. Big - I haven't tried the apples under a preamp, but always thought that a string of garlic over each power amp and a crucifix between the speakers was good insurance.

No vampires and werewolves is a good thing, but the smell? I don't know.

Alex-San

« Reply #21 on: 22 Apr 2022, 07:41 pm »
Guys, I received my M4s Sapphires a few hours ago.
Been listening to them since then.
You're saying these speakers get better? Much better?
I am in love with the sound.
How much better can they get? Wow...
My previous speakers were Klipsch Forte 3 and Totem Tribe Towers.

AllanS

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2022, 02:17 pm »
You're saying these speakers get better? Much better?
I am in love with the sound.
How much better can they get.
I suppose that depends on what you’re hearing compared to what you’re used to hearing and what your room and setup will allow any speaker to do.  You may be experiencing overall fundamental tonal differences that aren’t as related to burn in than others.
As mentioned previously the most obvious difference time has made in my experience is image coherence and bass tautness that I believe are directly related.  The first 80 hours were more important to this than the last 80, which makes sense.  With time I’m sure there have been and will continue to be more subtle changes but I’ve spent basically 0 time in critical listening so I couldn’t tell you what those are.
But all this depends somewhat to how hard the speakers are pushed.  Electrical burn in is probably different than mechanical.  Mechanically, woofer surrounds need to be exercised and stretched, motor bits and pieces need the same kind of extension and cycles to seat or wear in.  I’m not a speaker designer so can’t say for sure, but my guess in a good way to burn them in is to exercise them at progressively higher SPL.  You’re only going to get what you ask for.
So, as in most things YMMV. 

Bingenito

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2022, 02:47 pm »
I might go against the grain here. My X4s arrived with about 50hrs already on them. They sounded great right out of the box plopped right where my former speakers were about 5ft into the room.

Today they are fully broken in more than 700hrs later and guess what… still sound like Spatial X4. The speakers did not pull a 180, they did not change tonal character, they did go through about 1 day of odd treble brightness but I assume that was the caps.

After driver compliance was achieved from driving them hard they were broken in pretty quick just like every other speaker that I have ever owned. Nothing unique about Spatial breakin as far as I am concerned. Maybe the higher sensitivity and spls you need to drive them to in order to actually get to driver compliance but again no voodoo as far as I am concerned.

Alex-San

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2022, 08:26 pm »
One thing I will say...
I never heard piano sound so good in my room so far...
Superb speakers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5i4stj4M30

Mr. Big

« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2022, 11:20 pm »
One thing I will say...
I never heard piano sound so good in my room so far...
Superb speakers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5i4stj4M30

When a speaker can nail a piano you know it is special. So much music is so overproduced that I never use it as any reference to evaluate my speakers or gear. The sad thing is this is what audio stores use to demo and at their shows, on their gear, plus they feel they must blast you out of the store to impress you. As Frank Zappa said once they would not know good music if it bit them on their ass...LOL!

AllanS

« Reply #26 on: 24 Apr 2022, 04:24 am »
When a speaker can nail a piano you know it is special.
And that’s one of the things that makes Clayton’s story so interesting and his product so good.