Tower Speakers to fit in cabinet

christ

Tower Speakers to fit in cabinet
« on: 20 Oct 2021, 05:27 pm »
R & L Speaker: I would like to find a pair of tall  sealed “Bookshelf”  Speakers (Max dimensions 8.5W x 40T x 20D:  would like to be at least 30-36” tall to project in large den room)
.. so the speakers wouldn’t sound so bottom heavy from the added surface reflections caused by the semi-enclosed cabinet doors.

to fit in the “side “ cabinet by the Build in TV cabinet in the Den with Side Pull out DVD holder (2008) to be removed

Side Cabinet Dimensions Cabinet space 8.75W x 40T x 20D 

i.e a speaker design that will sound as if it is all playing from the front baffle forward.
Recommendations?
Also, I could line the side cabinet with ½ inch Cork that might help….?

mcgsxr

Re: Tower Speakers to fit in cabinet
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2021, 07:10 pm »
Is there a subwoofer to be involved or will those 2 speakers be the full setup for you?

youngho

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2021, 07:39 pm »
Most speakers are designed to be used in a freestanding setting, so you'd have to equalize them, likely a tilt down below 1 kHz or so. The dimensions would accommodate a smaller tower speaker. For example, the Revel F35 *almost* fits perfectly. The PSB Alpha T20 and Imagine X1T would, but you'll want to fill any open space around the speaker as much as possible.

Unfortunately, I believe that most in-wall speakers are unlikely to fit the length and width dimensions. Also, studio monitors, which can be amenable to flush mounting, also do not typically come in this shape.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2021, 09:34 pm »
Consider the Salk Sound Veracity ST, since all of Salk speakers are custom made the Veracity ST could be made to fit perfectly. A sealed speaker will need a lot of power, in all likelihood more than a receiver would be comfortable with. The Veracity ST has a transmission line and has tight clean bass down to 34 Hz and the port can be moved to the front. Transmission line bass is a lot different than a standard bass reflex design which would sound boomy in your cabinet.

The Seas W16 drivers are super fast and clear and project sound into the room, add in the RAAL tweeter and dialog will always be intelligible no matter how soft or loud the volume. The RAAL tweeter is never, ever harsh, peaky or sharp sounding even at stupid loud action movie levels, and these will go loud.

https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Veracity+ST

I have the larger Salk Veracity HT2-TL with the Salk Veracity HT2C center speaker and they are the best investment I ever made, these are my forever speakers. The wait time may be longer than you planned and the price more than you expected but every time you watch a video you will know you made the right decision. Add a REL subwoofer in a few years and you will have a state-of-the-art home theater.

And the Revel speakers are rear ported so they won't work.

Line the cabinet with NoRez, if everything is sized right allowing for the 1" NoRez then the speakers will snuggle in and stay put, cushioned on 4 sides with the perfect vibration absorbing product.
https://www.gr-research.com/store/p41/No_Rez_24%22x27%22_Sheet.html

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2021, 09:53 pm »
Speakers are designed to sound best with your ears level with the tweeter. Measure you ear height while on the sofa. No matter what speaker you decide on you may have to install it upside down unless you watch TV standing up.

youngho

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2021, 12:15 am »
The Revel F35 was meant as an example of a tower speaker that would nearly seem fit the dimensions listed, but interestingly, the Revel owner's manual for the Concerta2 series actually includes information about flush-mounting the rear-ported M16 speaker. However, the Concerta2 series have curved sides, which would be problematic for this particular use. Custom would certainly be the way to go, if budget permits, and the crossover could be adjusted accordingly.

Floyd Toole's room used inverted Salon 2 for the left and right main channels: https://www.thescreeningroomav.com/single-post/2019/03/06/the-ultimate-real-world-home-theater-and-listening-room

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2021, 03:58 am »
https://totemacoustic.com/product/arro/

Although I'd recommend ditching that cabinet - you will never get very good sound shoving speakers inside that thing.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2021, 03:08 pm »
This appears to be the perfect application for a sound bar.

dpatters

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2021, 03:43 pm »
This appears to be the perfect application for a sound bar.
I would have to agree.

Don P.

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2021, 04:48 pm »
Sign me up for the "soundbar club" as well.

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2021, 05:40 pm »
OK guys, recommend a soundbar. Watching movies at a friends house who has a soundbar is a cringe worthy experience although I am a gracious guest and keep my trap shut. Soundtrack and dialog is muddled and if the volume is turned up the sound is ugly. Movies are watched with subtitles on, which take up the bottom 1/3 of the screen so instead of watching a film and being transported to another time and place you end up watching text.

If it wasn't for the double martini's and conversation I would pass.