Baltic Birch in/near Saint Louis

gerchin

Baltic Birch in/near Saint Louis
« on: 27 Nov 2020, 01:41 pm »
Looking for a source of 1" (24mm or 25mm) thick Baltic Birch plywood in the Saint Louis area. Preferably 5'x5', but I'll work with what I can get.

Thank you,
Greg

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Baltic Birch in/near Saint Louis
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2020, 05:08 pm »
The only source for BB in STL that I've found is St. Charles Hardwoods. I've bought 3/8" and 3/4" in 5'x5', but don't know if they have 1".
Honestly, I'd love to find somewhere else, since they're across town from me. It's like an 80 mile round trip.  :roll:
On a side note, if you go, there's a place that only has hardwoods that's pretty close to them called "U-Pick Lumber" that has some neat stuff to look at.

gerchin

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2020, 05:15 pm »
Thanks, Bob. I've checked with St. Charles Hardwoods and they don't have 1". Rayner & Rinn-Scott has 1", but they're in Chicago. That's the closest place I've found. Liberty Hardwoods, in Kansas City, is another prospect, but I haven't checked with them yet.

- Greg

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2020, 05:19 pm »
I know it's more work, but do they have 1/2" (then glue them together)?

gerchin

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2020, 05:34 pm »
That was my backup plan. But it adds a tremendous amount of complexity, in addition to added cost (two 1/2" sheets are more expensive than one 1" sheet).

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2020, 05:43 pm »
Good point. I didn't think about cost.
Curious for anyone else to chime in though........

gerchin

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2020, 05:50 pm »
Plus, to really laminate two 1/2" sheets correctly, you need a vacuum bag.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2020, 05:52 pm »
"Got one". ;)

gerchin

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2020, 06:40 pm »
I may come knocking at your door someday ...  :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2020, 07:19 pm »
I like IPA  8)

gerchin

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2020, 07:25 pm »
I have wondered if a foam mattress vacuum storage bag would serve as a viable alternative to the real thing: https://www.vacuflat.com/product/vf_twin/. Anybody tried this?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2020, 08:01 pm »
Unknown. Not sure how much vacuum the bag can handle. But I assume that one of those that uses your vacuum cleaner as the source? Probably not enough though.
I'm using the vacuum pump that evacuates an automotive A/C system, so I'm getting down to 28Hg, which.... is darn near the physical limit of what mankind can achieve, as 30Hg is the lowest. Ambient (atmospheric) is 0Hg.

gerchin

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2020, 08:14 pm »
Even if it's only 5psi, that's 720psf evenly distributed, which is already better than I could probably do with weights. I suspect that a vacuum cleaner can do at least that.

EDIT: Looked it up -- vacuum cleaners typically achieve 20kPa, or 2.9psi, according to Internet sources. That's over 400psf, which should be OK, I think.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2020, 09:44 pm »
That's a big difference. I don't know though, we'll have to wait for smarter people than me to come along and clear this one up.  :lol:
Still waiting on another source of Baltic Birch plywood though!

On a side note, there's also "Appleply". But it's pricey.
I was on a "Panzerholz" kick for a while. Almost got my hands on some. It's so dense, it sinks in water.
Have fun with that Google search.  :wink:

gerchin

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2020, 09:59 pm »
Yes, it's a big difference, but the real question is: "How much is enough?" Titebond needs to be clamped, but not so much that the wood starts to crush. I don't think that Epoxy requires as much clamping. PL Premium -- I don't know if it's even appropriate for this application. Gorilla Glue -- I haven't had good luck with it.

I looked for Appleply. The nearest dealers are, again, in Chicago and Kansas City.

I'm not at all familiar with Panzerholz. With 1" thick material, more weight is something I'm trying to avoid!

Thanks again,
Greg

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2020, 11:29 pm »
Any place that has the BB should also be able to order the 1".

gerchin

« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2020, 11:43 pm »
One would think so, but St Charles Hardwoods didn't offer to do that when I inquired.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2020, 03:25 am »
Yes, it's a big difference, but the real question is: "How much is enough?" Titebond needs to be clamped, but not so much that the wood starts to crush.
I've never damaged any wood, 'natural', or ply, with the vacuum bag. Even with the most delicate/thin veneers onto ply. In my opinion, if vacuum manages to crush the wood, then that's proof enough that this wood is worth the fireplace, or the smoker to add some flavor.
May I ask, what you're building?

gerchin

« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2020, 12:47 pm »
The remark about crushing the wood was intended to be facetious. Hard to convey intonation in text.

I'm building a "small" (4 ft³) 2-way with direct-radiator bass and horn treble. My own design.

I have a lot of designs that I've never built. I used to build a lot when I was young, then life got in the way. That was forty years ago. Now it's like starting all over again.

Scott F.

« Reply #19 on: 28 Nov 2020, 05:39 pm »
If you're looking for glues that won't break a bond, go look at Grizzly Glue (NOT Gorilla). It's a urethane based adhesive. The wood surface must be wet first, then clamped.

I tried to get to their website but it looks like they got hacked.

I used this to build a 42" wide door from the garage to the house. 3/4" baltic then 5" Brazilian Cherry hardwood flooring. Pretty sure I ordered directly from their website. The glue works FAR better than the others I've tried. I think Wayne (WGH Woodworking) turned me onto it. Wayne is a phenomenal craftsman and makes some of the most beautiful doors on the planet. As others refers to them, "artwork that opens and closes".

https://www.wghwoodworking.com/photos.html