Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #500 on: 10 May 2022, 11:39 am »
Dear All,

Since Saturday, when I had the testing BR-20 installed by David, I have been enjoying it very much. The device's parameters and quality of the sound are exceptionally good, and I can really appreciate my hi-res (DSD and Flac) classical music library to its full potential.

Therefore I have decided to buy my 6th Bryston device (in the configuration which would allow the addition of a turntable).

I would like to thank you very much indeed for your support, to be able to enjoy the quality of this product.

Mike, I am very excited to see an upgrade for the BR-20 with a quality over DSD256 and multi-channel. There are more and more recording and remasters in multi-channel, and I am sure your experience with SP4 will come very handy to bring on the market a truly unique device.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Marius

spartana

« Reply #501 on: 10 May 2022, 06:45 pm »
Hi Drew,

Yes I am thinking we just make the Streamer or the HDMI or the Phono as options going forward and show prices accordingly.

james

I would love that! A streamer ages quickly. A good Dac and amp can last a long time. I would definitely order mine without Streamer.

bokko

« Reply #502 on: 11 May 2022, 07:11 pm »
The problem with DSD128 is files themselves only have a few. Two do it three others don’t.
Everything working for what I do.
As always BR-20 sounds most excellent.

For some streamers might get old but if it works with Roon that won’t be an issue.
I have learned being in IT to never say never.
What do I need above  24/192 or dsd 128 can’t hear it.

Feature request:
I have a Gold Note ph-10 simply for sound, inputs and coolness factor of display.
Has Bryston thought about a phono stage that uses BR-20 display to make adjustments for MM and MC inputs? Various requirements load, gain, Perhaps IRAA extended in mix as well.

« Last Edit: 11 May 2022, 10:26 pm by bokko »

spartana

« Reply #503 on: 16 May 2022, 04:12 pm »
Hi,
anybody else having issues with the sample rate of connected digital sources not being automatically determined when switching the BR20 on?
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #504 on: 18 May 2022, 09:28 pm »
Hi James

Here is the written review and soon to follow a video review on our Youtube channel.

https://www.moon-audio.com/bryston-br-20-preamplifier-review?fbclid=IwAR1lrnEMbCpCHgVZI04F8yXp600QjsMzWVvgDfYZKAuqxDOwl4yFXAjIRXI

adol290

« Reply #505 on: 21 May 2022, 02:54 am »
Hi Folks quick question on the BR-20.

We are having issues getting HDMI boards and Pi computers (used for streaming in the BR-20).

HDMI has always been an Option on the Br-20 and less than 5% of our customers order HDMI.

What if we offered the Pi Streamer as an option as well as a lot of our customers have Streamers as well?

So the BR20 would have the option of a Streamer or HDMI or Phono and priced accordingly.

Thoughts?

james

I like that idea, allow more BR-20's to get into the hands of people who just want a the the preamp portion to begin with.

Would the pi, hdmi, phono be user installable. Or would the units have to be sent in? I would prefer user installable.

Would the DAC be part of the Base unit/preamp. So the user or ? just install 1, 2, or 3 add in boards.

bacmsl

« Reply #506 on: 21 May 2022, 01:03 pm »
I like the idea of separate options, I personally in my system have no use for HDMI inputs.

Barry M

bokko

« Reply #507 on: 26 May 2022, 09:46 am »
Here is something to keep in mind before buying Roon.
Purchased a new computer reinstalled Roon doesn't work, won't restore from backup, won't clean install.
No support in 6 days thankfully while not as Pretty JRiver as always works just fine, must include JRemote app.
While Roon is cool they overcharge and their support is overwhelmed.
Hey what do you expect, things to work that you pay for LOL

Have a great day

Listening to lots of albums.

While Roon isn't working my HDMI inputs provide Apple Music and Radio Paradise via a Apple TV 4k 2nd gen.
HDMI also lets me listen to my SACD from my Sony Transport in native DSD. Glad I added it.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2022, 02:19 pm by bokko »

jcn3

« Reply #508 on: 26 May 2022, 04:52 pm »
too bad you were having problems -- roon is a fantastic piece of software.  i'd give it another try -- if you've got a machine running windows, that's the easiest thing to install roon on.  if you're comfortable, installing rock is just a bit more complicated but is very solid -- you would need a dedicated machine for that.  make sure you read the installation directions and make the bios changes that roon recommends.

i've been a lifetime subscriber for at least 5 years and have had roon running 24x7 every day since then.  have installed it on windows, installed rock, and installed on other linux platforms.  never have had an issue installing or restoring.  i previously used jriver (among other things) -- it's a well engineered piece of software, but clearly very different than roon.

for me, the ease of use, power, and quality of the ui make roon a tremendous bargain, especially if you compare the cost of a lifetime subscription to the cost of a quality piece of equipment like bryston.

bokko

« Reply #509 on: 26 May 2022, 05:07 pm »
Used to say same thing about Roon also been member since 2018. Survives a tornado but a computer did not so upgraded and boom thats all she wrote.

Went from Qnap to two different Windows 10 machines with one with i5 and one with 3900x AMD processor. So not inexperienced.

Best to follow link to post but have already tested hardware (memory and CPU, custom 8 passes) added a Nvidia video card from another computer. Installed Windows 10 twice its a beast of a machine. i9, 32gb ram, nvme drive.
Nothing else is installed just gaming benchmarks to see if they crash or have problem of course not.

Can't get it to install clean or restore from backup...

Now get a email that my post has been hidden as it goes against community standards. Maybe that's how they keep going hide the people with problems until more join?

Looking at Roon logo pulsing away for hours on end and eventually crashes.

My buddies using Manic Moose are saying I told you so...

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/after-restore-from-backup-hanging-logo-not-working-at-all/201971/6

Getting some help now.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2022, 07:06 pm by bokko »

Clive197

« Reply #510 on: 27 May 2022, 11:14 am »
WHATS GOING ON. This morning I loaded the new firmware dated 2022-5-26 and now the display on my BR-20 does not display track details correctly if at all. There are also other issues with Manic Moose.
Is this to do with server issues?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #511 on: 27 May 2022, 11:51 am »
Hi Folks - I would not recommend loading BETAS or new posted software at this time - too many issues with the storm affect.

james

Clive I will send this to software guys

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #512 on: 27 May 2022, 12:23 pm »
Hi Clive - can you give us more detail as to the issues you are having?

james

Clive197

« Reply #513 on: 27 May 2022, 12:54 pm »
Hi James

Incorrect track details which take an age to come up. Many other issues as well re how display is working. Also Manic Moose not displaying artwork on index as it did previously.

Is there any way I can go back to previous firmware which worked well.

Regards
Clive

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #514 on: 27 May 2022, 12:56 pm »
I will ask Chris

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #515 on: 27 May 2022, 02:15 pm »
Hi James

Incorrect track details which take an age to come up. Many other issues as well re how display is working. Also Manic Moose not displaying artwork on index as it did previously.

Is there any way I can go back to previous firmware which worked well.

Regards
Clive

The stable release has been reverted to may 9 2022 release

regarding the artwork is this what your trying to describe?

Chris

Clive197

« Reply #516 on: 28 May 2022, 01:18 pm »
Hi Chris
Your correct re artwork.

What I would really like to say is a shoutout to you and the rest of Bryston staff for resolving the server/firmware problems due to storms in your area. Well done 👏

dave47

« Reply #517 on: 28 May 2022, 07:13 pm »
Hello - i have a question about which firmware file(s) should be used for the 5/26/22 update for the BR20. Thanks for any advice.

Best,
Dave

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #518 on: 30 May 2022, 01:59 pm »
Hi Chris
Your correct re artwork.

What I would really like to say is a shoutout to you and the rest of Bryston staff for resolving the server/firmware problems due to storms in your area. Well done 👏

Hi Clive, do you recall if media player was displaying a folder icon instead of the images or did you get a missing file icon/error?

Chris

Clive197

« Reply #519 on: 30 May 2022, 02:10 pm »
Hi Chris

Problem now resolved. I went into settings and rejigged a couple of things and hay presto everything now works as previously.

I don’t know if an update altered a setting or I did inadvertently in a senior moment.

Looking forward to Manic Moose’s replacement as I still think that it’s well past it’s sell-by date.
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2022, 08:56 am by Clive197 »