• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #480 on: 3 May 2022, 03:45 pm »
From software folks.

Stan, 11:30 AM
@James - what firmware version?

Stan, 11:39 AM
In the new software revision, 2022.04a or later, when you switch away from a HT Bypass source, the system will restore the last used volume before HT Bypass was engaged, limited for safety to -10dB.  If your previous voulme was > -10dB then it will be restored limited to -10dB.  If it was less then -10 it will be restored to that what it was.

Stan, 11:41 AM
It works regardless whether the volume preset is enabled or disabled.  Volume preset allows restoring the preset volume during power on stage, not during input source switching.

MoodyDragon

« Reply #481 on: 5 May 2022, 04:19 pm »

Good morning.   Just bought a BR20.  Does this (please see picture) look right?  The BCON is not ‘online’.   I did update the firmware.   Thank you for your help! 

jbuzas

« Reply #482 on: 5 May 2022, 04:34 pm »
I think that's correct.  There are two ethernet ports on the back of the BR-20.  One port is for streaming and the other port is a service port for firmware updates.  You are connected to the streaming port, so the service port (BCON port) is showing as unreachable.

bokko

« Reply #483 on: 6 May 2022, 03:37 am »
Good Day

Have updated to today's BR20_2022_04c.bin
Switching from Home Theater bypass to Roon (Streamer) volume was -40 a much better level. I did so by clicking a song in Roon, then BR-20 switched from HTB to playing that song in Roon.
Slick so we can control volume from Roon, but also force Roon\streamer to start to play selected song in Roon no matter what input we are on.
Family asleep I'll check all inputs tomorrow.

Should I contact you or Stan about some other minor issues I have noticed?
Sound as always is most excellent.
Check out the new Rush - Moving Pictures album (white)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #484 on: 6 May 2022, 09:45 am »
Sure let us know if you find any other quirks.

best
james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #485 on: 6 May 2022, 09:58 am »
Hi Folks quick question on the BR-20.

We are having issues getting HDMI boards and Pi computers (used for streaming in the BR-20).

HDMI has always been an Option on the Br-20 and less than 5% of our customers order HDMI.

What if we offered the Pi Streamer as an option as well as a lot of our customers have Streamers as well?

So the BR20 would have the option of a Streamer or HDMI or Phono and priced accordingly.

Thoughts?

james

GeAllan70

« Reply #486 on: 6 May 2022, 11:08 am »

:duh:  soo.... not quite BR-20 and slight uptick than BP-17?...

BQ-18.5??...   :nono:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #487 on: 6 May 2022, 12:04 pm »
Hi GeAllan

Not really a BP17 as the BR-20 is a fully balanced circuit path throughout.

james

Testsystems

« Reply #488 on: 6 May 2022, 12:34 pm »
Hi James

Jeff Geerling’s YouTube channel focused on the Pi says the the model 4 boards could be in short supply well into 2023.  It stated that 4 million boards were being made each month but that they are being sent to large customers that build them into products.  There is a website that is dedicated to availability but I don’t have the name.  Thus in the short term it makes sense to offer the BR-20 Pi as an option, but I suspect sales will be impacted significantly.  Streaming is a key feature.   I suggest exploring other micro controller streaming options with a solid software base and good consumer acceptance.     

Interesting times! Sad!

Cheers Drew

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #489 on: 6 May 2022, 12:52 pm »
Yes we are looking at the Rock-Pi and the Banana-Pi

But surprisingly a number of dealers have called to say that a lot of customers already have streamers and software they like and having the streamer in the BR-20 prevented them from purchasing it.

best
james

bokko

« Reply #490 on: 6 May 2022, 01:14 pm »
Good Day:

I would know two of the 5 people that have heard mine would be interested.
They have BDP's that they didn't want to part with, and younger families so said as much. Just duplicated too much for them to justify cost.
Three other younger guys I worked with want the whole package, they have the money and would want all in one. Happy wife happy life.
They were saving I'll let them know this info, sure Audioshop would appreciate business. 

jbuzas

« Reply #491 on: 6 May 2022, 02:35 pm »
For me the combination of streamer, dac and preamp was the perfect solution, and I was very excited when I saw the BR-20 had all three.   The BR-20 feeds my two 7b3's and I enjoy the system everyday.

For others, who knows.  It seems many streamers come with DACS already, and often preamps too. 

Anyway, I'm sorry you have to deal with so many supply issues (and shutdowns etc.). 

Clive197

« Reply #492 on: 6 May 2022, 03:10 pm »
Hi James. As I’m not that great at computer savvy, I was wondering if I need to update software to the very latest 4e as I have no need or use for Home Theatre or Roon. Are there any other advantages or have other changes been made? I have successfully updated firmware.
Clive

MoodyDragon

« Reply #493 on: 6 May 2022, 03:25 pm »
Hi Folks quick question on the BR-20.

We are having issues getting HDMI boards and Pi computers (used for streaming in the BR-20).

HDMI has always been an Option on the Br-20 and less than 5% of our customers order HDMI.

What if we offered the Pi Streamer as an option as well as a lot of our customers have Streamers as well?

So the BR20 would have the option of a Streamer or HDMI or Phono and priced accordingly.

Thoughts?

james

I am a new owner of the BR20. Here is my perspective.

I would have loved the opportunity of being able to buy the BR20 without the streamer, but for a different reason. Right now, just two days after setting up the preamp, I am already ‘browsing’ options for adding a streamer.  Why?   Because the Manic Moose player is simply not up to Bryston standards. I already know I can learn to live with it but I will probably never love it.  Nothing about the Manic Moose player implies anything  negative about the rest of the preamp.   The sound is awesome.  But getting to the album I want is a pain.  And then every so often the player just freezes.  Etc etc.  you get the idea. 

I know I could subscribe to Roon.  A subscription model is not something I want to support.  I thought Bryston was collaborating with volumio ?   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #494 on: 6 May 2022, 04:22 pm »
Hi James. As I’m not that great at computer savvy, I was wondering if I need to update software to the very latest 4e as I have no need or use for Home Theatre or Roon. Are there any other advantages or have other changes been made? I have successfully updated firmware.
Clive

Hi Clive - most of the changes is ROON and Pass-Through so no rush.

james

Testsystems

« Reply #495 on: 6 May 2022, 04:39 pm »
Hi James,

Why not copy the Automotive world and offer the BR-20 with a negative option to delete the Pi Streamer.  Ie the base unit remains as it is today, but you can special order the BR-20 with the streamer eliminated for a discounted price.   Best of both worlds.   I know its semantics but it works and keeps the BR-20 as envisioned.

Cheers Drew

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #496 on: 6 May 2022, 04:57 pm »
Hi Drew,

Yes I am thinking we just make the Streamer or the HDMI or the Phono as options going forward and show prices accordingly.

james

MoodyDragon

« Reply #497 on: 7 May 2022, 04:38 am »
Hello Folks:

Page 6 of the Bryston BR 20 manual talks about 'optional upsampling'  Yet I can not find an upsampling toggle/button unlike the the BDP line?

Manual says:
10. Lock / UPS
When the internal DAC is receiving valid
audio signal, the LOCK LED will light green.
When optional upsampling is engaged (AES/
EBU, TOSLINK, and S/PDIF inputs only) the
Upsampling indicator will light yellow for integer
multiples of 44.1kHz and green for integer
multiples of 48kHz.

My apologies for these questions. I am sure it is somewhere very obvious..... Thank you in advance!

Amit

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #498 on: 7 May 2022, 02:00 pm »
HI,'

Yes that is a misprint carried over from the BDA-3 DAC.

Not available on the BR20.

We are looking at making it available from the BR4 Remote.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #499 on: 9 May 2022, 06:50 pm »
Hi Drew,

Yes I am thinking we just make the Streamer or the HDMI or the Phono as options going forward and show prices accordingly.

james

...good idea! that way the BR20 can be ordered just the way the customer wants it :thumb:

however,  it's just too sad that the BP17³ can't be ordered with an usb input. this preamp has more analog inputs than the BR20 and a tape loop. if the customer now could choose the digital input for the BP17³ it would be absolutely great :thumb:

al.