AMG PRA & STA review from Denmark

rustydoglim

AMG PRA & STA review from Denmark
« on: 20 Aug 2020, 10:01 pm »
http://hifi4all.dk/content/templates/anmeldelser.asp?articleid=3443&zoneid=3

Use Google translate if you can't read Danish.  AMG series is a going through its slow pace of filling up the products in the series. We plan to complete the series by early 2021.

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
Re: AMG PRA & STA review from Denmark
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2020, 07:23 am »
Good News  8)

I dream for a AMG WR-1  :green:

- Internal Alimentation
- Mega DAC / DSD compliant
- XLR Output
- See the quality of the source on the read
- Better interface for the navigation with bigger memory buffer
- Possibility to jump directly to the file beginning with a T / S / Z

I have already  : PURE AC-4 (x2)  / Omnia WR-1 / AMG PRA / AMG STA (x2) / FOCAL SOPRA 3 / Audioquest XLR & RCA MACKENZIE / AudioQuest Type 9 for the HP.
It sound already very good but we are all searching for the graal  :green:

Thanks for your products Rusty, you have understand, i am a big fan !

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2020, 02:54 pm »
We debated whether to have a streaming DAC, but for two reasons we decided not to do it (upon advice from distributors):
1. A streaming transport (ie no DAC, just provide digital outputs such as I2S, optical, coaxial) that feed the DAC. 
2. Having streaming module with DAC will end up compromising the performance a little. And only entry level customers want to have streaming DAC. For entry level customers, they should just go with streaming integrated amp (coming soon).

We might still offer streaming DAC next year, but the priority is streaming transport and DAC as two separate components.

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2020, 04:15 pm »
Arghh ... Not cool  ...

The WR-1 is a very very good product, the functionality is very versatile, simple of  use, smart ...

All in one, many sources, variable output , good android app

Well, if i want to upgrade my WR-1 what is the solution ?

Keeping my WR-1 and exiting on coaxial in a DAC high end  ?

But in this case i loose the variable ouptut with the android app no ?

Even i want better as possible solution, i dont want to accumulate box, alimentations, cables, ... and the remotes when i whant to listen music !

Thanks for you response even she's not satisfy for me  8) :?

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2020, 10:10 am »

Well, if i want to upgrade my WR-1 what is the solution ?

You misunderstood. There is a higher end WR-2 coming. When we talk about DAC, we don't just refer to the DAC chip, we think of a high-end DAC as one that has high-end preamp, low noise power circuit and all the design around the DAC chip.
What we don't want to offer is a $1500 streaming DAC that is essentially DAC-99SE plus WR-2.
A slightly compromised streaming DAC is not quite good enough for demanding audiophile, but too expensive for entry level user.

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2020, 11:03 am »
You misunderstood.
Sorry .. my english is not perfect.

There is a higher end WR-2 coming.
Wonderful ! i get a ticket and i'm waiting for it

Thanks Rusty and have a good week-end

Genez

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2020, 07:03 pm »
http://hifi4all.dk/content/templates/anmeldelser.asp?articleid=3443&zoneid=3

Use Google translate if you can't read Danish.  AMG series is a going through its slow pace of filling up the products in the series. We plan to complete the series by early 2021.

How long has the AMG PRA been out?  Did someone pick my mind when they designed this?

The bottom end enhancement for smaller speakers?    How much boost available?  Amazing that someone is finally doing this! 

Small audiophile speakers with just enough boost can sound fantastic with desktop.  I have run fast away from a subwoofer. But, this?  What is the boost curve like?  I have been using a desktop BBE Sonic Maximizer, and only using it for its linear bass boost.  Up until now, with small speakers, its a need that I would love to be able to bypass if the AMG PRA provides enough boost...

Dang!    I bought a Schiit Freya S not long ago because of its volume control and balanced configuration.  Now this? This sounds like it is what I have been looking for for years!  If it is?

Well..   Someone in the near future may get a good deal on a slightly used Freya S.

From Georgia,   Gene

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2020, 08:07 am »
Gene, you are right, this feature used to be available on super high end preamp.  It is called "Loudness" (I don't like the name from marketing point of view, but that's how it was called). 

The boost curve is on the "Loudness" tab on product page: https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/amg-pra/
It is not just some EQ settings. We are afraid that few people know what it is  :thumb:

BTW, the AMG series is something we plan to complete by end of the year, so not much marketing is done until Jan 2021.  We have too many other products to introduce before we bring awareness to the AMG line. 

Genez

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2020, 05:29 pm »
Jason...

"Loudness" has a wrong connotation.  Bass balancer is more like what it would do.  What I now use refers to it as linear bass boost.  I was also told it uses dynamic EQ, but was not able to verify.

I am in a very bad room situation and must choose a wall that will not resonate bass to my apartment neighbors.  So, I am stuck with a large insulated window behind my desktop system.  The bass boost I need is almost at the max of 12 db @50. The manufacturer calls it a linear bass boost,  not simply tone controls.  Looks like what AMG PRA offers will be perfect for many situations,but might not be enough for my present requirement.  Looks like 6 db boost is max?

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2020, 07:36 pm »
Thanks, when the opportunity comes we will change the name. This feature is going into many new models, even the entry level streamer WR-1 has it.  It is harder to implement in a preamp since there is no DSP but it sounded better.
Yes, the max dB boost is as shown in the plot.

There is a like-new condition AMG PRA in the US with a dealer since it has been used once, it is available for a discount. Contact sales@nuprimeaudio.com if anyone in the US want to audition (you need to cover the shipping cost and leave a credit card for security).

shektau6

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2020, 04:02 pm »
Would there be a streaming DAC bridge (no preamp) that would compliment the AMG pre amp + amp?

rustydoglim

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2020, 11:48 pm »
AMG series would have a complete component (DAC, Streaming transport, perhaps even CDT, in 2021).
There is a streaming transport coming soon for the 9 series.

mmityok

« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2020, 07:17 pm »
What are the output impedences of the PRA on the balanced/single-ended lines? Looking for a good pre with low output impedence for my amp which has a low input impedence of 10K ohms...

Mystic Dragon

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2021, 11:07 am »
Hi Jason,
I bought a ST-10 almost 2 years ago without auditioning it first and was very happy in the end. It is what the HiFi reviewers said it is.
I am about to place an order for 2x AMG STA Mono also without first listening to it because there is no Nuprime dealer in Melbourne, Australia.
Like to ask you which is the better option for me as I have never used a separate pre-amp before.
(1) Connect a existing DAC with a pre-amp (Chord Hugo) to the two AMG STA units
(2) Connect a existing DAC with no pre-amp (Denafrips) to an AMG PRA with two AMG STA units attached
Thanks.

rustydoglim

« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2021, 12:14 am »
Hi Jason,
I bought a ST-10 almost 2 years ago without auditioning it first and was very happy in the end. It is what the HiFi reviewers said it is.
I am about to place an order for 2x AMG STA Mono also without first listening to it because there is no Nuprime dealer in Melbourne, Australia.
Please order from New Zealand dealer.

Like to ask you which is the better option for me as I have never used a separate pre-amp before.
(1) Connect a existing DAC with a pre-amp (Chord Hugo) to the two AMG STA units
(2) Connect a existing DAC with no pre-amp (Denafrips) to an AMG PRA with two AMG STA units attached
Normally I would recommend going with a DAC and AMG PRA and 2 x AMG STA.
But in your case, Chord Hugo or Denafrips can have a big impact on the sound characteristic of the system.

Also, a DAC's preamp should have little to no impact on the sound quality if it is designed with to act like a switch resistor network.  Unless the input is analog, the DAC's digital volume control does all the work anyway.

Mystic Dragon

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2021, 09:35 am »
Thanks Jason. Appreciate your comment.

I find NuPrime products to be of excellent quality and good value. That is why I always check out your products first before buying any new equipment. I hope NuPrime products are more accessible in Australia. 
The buying habits of audio consumers have changed quite a lot. These days, I have no problem placing an online order with a Denefrips reseller in Singapore or placing an order for a pair or KEF speakers with Amazon.com.au.
A brick-and-mortar hi-fi store is nowhere as necessary to me as it used to be many year ago for many products.
For a country as geographically dispersed as Australia, it may be better for a manufacture like Nuprime to sell through an electronic audio retailer that has a strong on-line presence than rely on a lesser know local hi-fi store.

Cheers.   

rustydoglim

« Reply #16 on: 9 Aug 2021, 01:24 pm »
Thanks Jason. Appreciate your comment.

I find NuPrime products to be of excellent quality and good value. That is why I always check out your products first before buying any new equipment. I hope NuPrime products are more accessible in Australia. 

Buy from New Zealand dealer, he can drop ship directly from our factory in Taiwan to Australia.

Totally Wired Limited
+64 03 4790 444   
hello@totallywired.nz   
totallywired.nz

giordy60

« Reply #17 on: 9 Aug 2021, 03:24 pm »
You misunderstood. There is a higher end WR-2 coming.

Jason
actually the WR-2 never arrived ......
......or he arrived with another name?  :scratch:

giordy60

« Reply #18 on: 9 Aug 2021, 03:26 pm »
.....It is perhaps the stream 9?  :roll:

rustydoglim

« Reply #19 on: 10 Aug 2021, 08:54 pm »
We didn't proceed with the high-end WR-2 because it will be too expensive for entry level and not good enough for high-end streaming.
All high-end systems have very good DAC, so user will buy the Stream-9.
Entry to mid level systems can use the DAC with Stream Mini.
If we come up with a $899 WR-2, nobody would buy it, because it might not sound better than Stream Mini + DAC.
Oh, due to chips shortage and production capacity problem, this project will have long delay (into 2022) even if we want to proceed.