Avoosl's VMPS RM50 dspNexus 2x8 system

HAL

Avoosl's VMPS RM50 dspNexus 2x8 system
« on: 1 Feb 2024, 09:56 pm »
Went to my friend Avoosl's place today to install an EA dspNexus 2x8 system in place of his dspMusik LCD 2x8 system for his VMPS RM50 speaker system.

He already had XLR cables with TRS adapters on the dspMusik, so it was an easy swap.

Already had the new version of his DSP crossover flashed to the system, so just had to start it up and set amp channel gains.   The system is playing music!

The VMPS larger subs have their own power amp, so added time delay to the RM50's to match up wavefronts.  He uses those for Home Theater with his projector.

This is the system that is described in the AudioXpress article about the genesis of the dspNexus 2x8 system.

uncola

Re: Avoosl's VMPS RM50 dspNexus 2x8 system
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2024, 02:44 pm »
Cool looking room!  Love the cardboard elvises

HAL

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2024, 11:06 am »
Went over to Avoosl's place yesterday to update the dspNexus 2x8 AKM AK4493S DAC filter selection in the flashed firmware.

From my and many customers listening sessions the consensus is that the AKM AK4439S DAC Filter selection #4 sounds better and is the new default setting for the dspNexus 2x8 system.  It is user selectable in the Audio Weaver block diagram.

Now on to some listening. :)

Jstower

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2024, 01:16 am »
Nice system , I’ll bet it’s sounds absolutely fantastic. So with the DspNexus 2 x 8 system you’re essentially tri-amping the speakers, plus the subwoofers for home theater.
Just out of curious how do you handle the Rear section. Thanks Jim

Avoosl

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2024, 01:44 am »
   I sometimes doubt that the subtleties arising from filter choices and other DSP magic make much difference (as Rich knows). But Rich is my friend, so I thought, "What the heck, I'll give it a try." I had heard that there might be improvements in upper frequencies, so I played selections where highs tend to congest or can even be hard to bear. As I attuned to things I admitted the filter selection had not worsened anything. Then I relaxed a bit more with some familiar, rollicking good numbers radiating plenty of highs. Well. Now it got interesting. I continued to wear a judgmental, critical demeanor, but finally gave up. I grew a little giddy with my delight - with just a filter change. Could this be? This could and is a wonderful thing.  Thank-you, thank-you very much.

HAL

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2024, 01:52 am »
Jim,
He does not use rear channels for Home Theater, just the main channels.

The dspNexus 2x8 replaced a Behringer DCX2496 that came programmed for the speakers, so I replaced that with the dspNexus 2x8.   The two JC-1's per channel run the main speakers as factory wired, so no rewiring to run them as a 3-way system with subs.

Jstower

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2024, 05:17 pm »

The dspNexus 2x8 replaced a Behringer DCX2496 that came programmed for the speakers, so I replaced that with the dspNexus 2x8.   The two JC-1's per channel run the main speakers as factory wired, so no rewiring to run them as a 3-way system with subs.
Wow, so I really thought the RM50 Rear Array Line was wired separately. Thanks Jim

HAL

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2024, 07:32 pm »
My understanding is that the read planar drivers are wired as a Bipole, so in phase with the front planar drivers.

HAL

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2024, 12:13 pm »
I upgraded Avoosl's EA dspNexus 2x8 yesterday with the new Danville Signal ADSP21569 dspBlok to make it a full production system.

Part of the upgrade process is to flash the LCD uC with the latest firmware.  That firmware is already loaded on the dspBlok, so the user just has to use the Windows software provided to do the update.

The DSP crossover block diagram has to be updated for the new dspBlok and I did the update and flashed it to the dspBlok.  This way the system runs the DSP crossover every time it is turned on.  The Sleep function allows the user to power down the unit with the remote and to turn it on. As with most system, powering down the amps first is required.

No sound quality difference, but now there is about 80% of the DSP processing available for doing other things like room bass management for his system with REW or other program that can use the mic input and DAC output on the dspNexus 2x8 for measurements and creation of the parameters for the filters required.

danvillesignal

• Industry Participant
    • Danville Signal
« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2024, 10:49 pm »
There shouldn't be a sonic difference in Avoosl's system since the DSP is running the same AW configuration.
The new DSP can execute about twice as many IIR filters as before while simultaneously running large FIRs with its internal coprocessor. 

Our goal is that the dspNexus will have more than enough processing power to execute whatever is needed.
This is why all new dspNexus boxes are shipping with the faster DSP and all early adopters have been offered a free upgrade.

The latest firmware also automatically supports the AK4499EX based DACs. These are available as upgrades.

The dspNexus was designed as a platform with upgradeable DSP, DAC modules, ADC and software. The new DSP and DAC modules are the first examples of this idea.

Al Clark
Danville Signal CEO & dspNexus Hardware Designer.