MM de Capo i with SS amp/pre

panderso

« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2005, 10:13 pm »
Quote from: OwenMeany
I can only say "why" I was thinking of it:

I want the warmth of tubes and the slam of SS. Is that not what we are all after? I reviewed the ASL Integrated I thought it was a great value and sounded nice with the Dulcets (which I was also reviewing at the time). But honestly, it was just too big and ugly. I do not have a listening room so me stuff has to somwhat integrate with my living room.

It is funny that you mentioned Naim, I am currently reviewing the CDX2. I really like the way it pushes the sp ...

Owen; what happened to your Edge integrated audition with the MMDCs?

I sure like my Naim CD5x and Nait 5i with the Dulcets; I realize that is a slightly different consideration than the MMDCs.  The Nait has a certain warmth that some have called tubey; though I'm not sure I'd go quite that far... I also liked the ASL DT 1001; it had a nice taste of that special airy je ne sais quoi- but wasn't as good all around as the Nait. I was thinking of the ASL Leyla, with a view to a higher end experience of the SET magic I enjoy so much with headphones (with the ASL Head MK III headphone amp). But as you say, there is that big, ugly, hot thing, at least in WAF terms.  Hard to give up that Zen minimalism the Naim offers...

Have others tried higher-end Naim with MMDCs?  I would've thought that might fit...

L'wood

« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2005, 07:39 pm »
New to your forum, and relativly to the deCapo's.

I started out using the Musical Fidelity X150 and finally tired of the brightness this amp produces.  Oddly enough, with another amp I probably would have ended up with other speakers, but the deCapo's sounded the best with this amp.

Have recently moved to the Arcam Diva A90, and it does truely have the British sound I have always known; as opposed to the MF and Naim.

The MF tube buffer is a wonderful product to use with CD's and a tuner; it doesn't smooth out the sound as much as a tube amp, but certainly leans in that direction.  A definite option for SS users.