NuPrime Amp Comparison

rustydoglim

Re: NuPrime Amp Comparison
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:44 pm »
No it won't because even though STA-9 has unique bridging circuit (instead of using Op Amp), it doesn't change the design of the amp.
It becomes "sounds livelier and more dynamic" - which is due to the increase in power. 

Therefore we did not change the positions of STA-9 in the comparison chart and it shouldn't be.  Otherwise our chart is simply bull shit :).

Our French distributor prefers STA-9 + DAC-10 over all other combinations. And others love ST-10 and DAC-10. So as I keep saying, the differences between these characteristic are quite small. They are all very good.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jun 2016, 07:08 pm »
Jason,

Which amp is most popular in Taiwan?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With so much confusion over you amplifiers, I've come up with a great idea. Send me all your amplifiers (and a couple DACs), and I'll host a small G2G! Then, I (and whomever attends) will post our impressions.  :thumb:

rustydoglim

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jun 2016, 07:37 pm »
There is no confusion. Just follow the Amp Comparison guide.
People get confused because they want to get "the best".  So they go back and forth over one model versus another.
For customers who know what they like to hear, they can quickly pick what they need.

If you have a <=$1000 budget for integrated and want "the best", then IDA-8 has no competition on the market.
If you want the most powerful, flexible and warmth system, then go for DAC-9+STA-9 x 2, with HPA-9 for headphones enthusiasts. And this is the best value for money component set.
If you are looking for very smooth, detailed, dynamic, pretty much near perfect system that is neutral, then ST-10 and DAC-10H.  Or go with IDA-16 for lower price but just less that what ST-10 offers.
If you want something similar to ST-10 and DAC-10H, but toward warmer side, then STA-9 x 2 + DAC-10H.
If you have deep pocket and want the best stereo amp and willing to pay more than double the price for the extra edge (it cost exponentially more for the last 5 to 10% extra in all these areas), then Ref 20
I can go on and on but all the above selections are just based on the Amp Comparison.

If you have no idea what you want, then just make your decision on: 1) Your budget and 2) your music preference
From budget and music preference, you can also easily find the components that you need from the Amp Comparison chart.

Ya, I think we should publish another chart using Music preference and budget as a guide!

rustydoglim

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jun 2016, 07:41 pm »
Which amp is most popular in Taiwan?

I have no idea.  The distributor handle the orders and I don't pay much attention to Taiwan market  :icon_surprised:
By the way, I only go to Taiwan once a month for a few days.

Rx8man

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jun 2016, 08:02 pm »
I like the way this company manufactures and keeps prices in line with reality.

Jason tells it like it is, no B.S. or hyped-up marketing crap with ridiculous pricing, the sound really speaks for itself.

I still have and totally enjoy the Ref 9V2 SE's with a big-ass 6SN7 tube preamp, CEC transport and DHT Dac, heavenly.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2016, 12:53 am by Rx8man »

bummrush

« Reply #25 on: 23 Jun 2016, 08:24 pm »
Yes, very refreshing and straight forward.  Im going to really look at a int from this company. Very informative thread also. I could be up for a change in my main stereo. But it would be a big decision to sell a couple components, pre and power ,to cut cost of a integrated, but it might be worth it.

audioguy213

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jun 2016, 08:31 pm »
budget is not an issue,

well recorded rock (Steely Dan) and funk/jazz (New Mastersounds, Lettuce)
want: dynamics, bass slam, ease driving 89db 4 ohm speakers, smooth top end that errs on the side of forgiving rather than revealing of bad recordings

Ref20 are not in the running, but everything else you make is,

please advise.

rustydoglim

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jun 2016, 08:43 pm »
budget is not an issue,

well recorded rock (Steely Dan) and funk/jazz (New Mastersounds, Lettuce)
want: dynamics, bass slam, ease driving 89db 4 ohm speakers, smooth top end that errs on the side of forgiving rather than revealing of bad recordings

Ref20 are not in the running, but everything else you make is,

please advise.

MCH-K38 or STA-9 x 2.  If you are into classical I would recommend ST-10 or IDA-16.
There is a long discussion on MCH-K38 thread (skip page 1 to 5 until I jumped in).

rustydoglim

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2016, 08:46 pm »

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2016, 09:01 pm »
I like the way this company manufactures and keeps prices in line with reality.

Jason tells it like it is, no B.S. or hyped-up marketing crap with ridiculous pricing, the sound really speaks for itself.

I still have and totally enjoy the Ref9 V2 SE's with a big-ass 6SN7 tube preamp and CEC transport and DHT Dac, heavenly.

I totally agree. I have the Ref 9V3 SE's and have had them for 10 or so yrs (Ref9 V2's upgraded). Jason personally corresponded with me on the upgrade. I was in the UK for 14 yrs and when moving back to the US I inquired about buying new US plug power cords for the amps and my P9 Nuforce/now Prime gear and Jason sent them to me in the UK free. Great, great customer service and an excellent product

reillyzing

« Reply #30 on: 23 Jun 2016, 09:02 pm »
I listen to mostly 60s-90s rock. Would the ST-10 and DAC-10 make an ideal combination, or should I consider something else?

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jun 2016, 09:20 pm »
I listen to mostly 60s-90s rock. Would the ST-10 and DAC-10 make an ideal combination, or should I consider something else?

Much depends on your system and listening preferences.

Early and Classic Rock was not always recorded well (although some like Stairway to Heaven remastered are incredible) so accuracy will show you the lumps and bumps.  Like always.

All and all, another consideration, might be the DAC-10 with a Pair of STA-9, which can ever so slightly smooth out edgy recordings a bit.

bummrush

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jun 2016, 09:26 pm »
A bone to pick upon components picked because they play a certain type of music. I say its rediculos.  If a component cant really do all types of music,why would you want that. Music of all kinds is dynamic and ever changing. I guess i just dont get it.

reillyzing

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jun 2016, 10:09 pm »
Much depends on your system and listening preferences.

Early and Classic Rock was not always recorded well (although some like Stairway to Heaven remastered are incredible) so accuracy will show you the lumps and bumps.  Like always.

All and all, another consideration, might be the DAC-10 with a Pair of STA-9, which can ever so slightly smooth out edgy recordings a bit.
I should have mentioned that I'm very much leaning toward Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers, so if anyone could make amp and dac recommendations for these speakers and my preference for 60s-90s rock, I'd certainly appreciate it.

JackD

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jun 2016, 10:22 pm »
I am running the DAC-10/ST-10 combo with the M3 Turbo S right now and the combination is excellent.  Type of music doesn't matter and short of rap and opera I have tried it all. 

rustydoglim

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jun 2016, 10:26 pm »
A bone to pick upon components picked because they play a certain type of music. I say its rediculos.  If a component cant really do all types of music,why would you want that. Music of all kinds is dynamic and ever changing. I guess i just dont get it.

You are partly right if someone can design a Perfect Amp. And cost is no object.
Music is dynamic. No amp in the world can perform well at all frequencies and all power level, within reasonable cost.

Linear power supply is cheaper than switching power supply but it is slow and very bulky. Low noise and high performance switching power supply is difficult to design and costly. I haven't even touched the amps.  I am sure you get the point. We are dealing very physical world and it is difficult. 

We are in high-end audio territory and the sonic differences between these amps are relatively small, many casual listeners can't tell the differences.  Furthermore, different people reacts to the same music differently. That's why some people love tube sound. And that's why there are so many speakers out there.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #36 on: 11 Jun 2017, 11:32 pm »
It would be interesting to see IDA-6 and STA-6 added into that chart.

Best regards,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #37 on: 14 Jun 2017, 08:15 pm »
Thanks for reminder, I will do that.

verderame

« Reply #38 on: 29 Aug 2017, 08:26 am »
It would be interesting to see IDA-6 and STA-6 added into that chart.

Best regards,
Rafa.

I'm really interesting too to see STA-6 in the chart, there is any update about it?
Thanks.

rustydoglim

« Reply #39 on: 11 Sep 2017, 03:53 pm »
It has been updated. Note that STA-6's position on the warmth and texture.
It shares the same design as STA-9, but tuned toward neutral with slightly more details.
It is very simple to choose between these two: if you listen to classical and jazz music, pick STA-6. If you have a mix of all types of music and want to maximise the effect of explosion in a movie, go with STA-9.