Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle

werd

Re: Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle
« Reply #100 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:22 am »
Guess i will get the 17in black, i will just follow the brinks guys around hoping they drop a bag and not notice.
Hopefully that will work....

It would be nice to see little rack handles on these and the BDA as a faceplate option.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #101 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:37 am »
i will just follow the brinks guys around hoping they drop a bag and not notice.

There you go! haha.

werd

« Reply #102 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:38 pm »
There you go! haha.

Hehe, more then likely use the 6 months no payment option or a 12 month....

Napalm

« Reply #103 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:47 pm »
Hehe, more than likely use the 6 months no payment option or a 12 month....

:idea: Bryston Mastercard.... Priceless!!!

Nap.  :eyebrows:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #104 on: 11 Jun 2010, 09:25 pm »
Hehe, more then likely use the 6 months no payment option or a 12 month....

Cool!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #105 on: 15 Jun 2010, 02:08 am »
James,

the BDP-1 has USB 2.0 inputs. are they upgradeable to USB 3.0?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #106 on: 15 Jun 2010, 10:29 am »
James,

the BDP-1 has USB 2.0 inputs. are they upgradeable to USB 3.0?

al.

Hi Al,  no - not needed with music files.

james

michael123

Computer Audiophile Pocket Server - C.A.P.S.
« Reply #107 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:09 am »
So, what is inside?
And how useful could be a machine with custom, lacking interface, without network feed, and without any local storage?..

Just for a reference, in the following server, for "merely" $1500 you get
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Computer-Audiophile-Pocket-Server-CAPS

- complete silent PC (fanless)
- 60GB SSD
- Lynx AES16 AES/EBU interface
- very nice box, OrigenAE (although I prefer HFX)
- Windows7 + JRiver

Last month I listened to a very nice system by Magico at Munich High-End Show, the source was custom-made PC, using Silverstone box with Lynx sound card, EMM DAC and Antelope atomic clock driving both..

And, of course, the Transporter I am using, which now you can get NEW out of audiogon for 1300$ (or less)..
I modded it with Burson HD Op-amps and replaced few other things in analog section, so now it sounds much better than before.. Anyway, it makes an excellent transport as-is. Many audio designers use Transporter in their lab, given numerous options as word clock input, BNC out/in, AES, digital loop (e.g. for room correction)..

So, going back to Bryston, why Bryston?

Moon Doggy

« Reply #108 on: 17 Jun 2010, 07:01 am »
^The OP answers many of you're questions.^

As a long time reader of CA the problems with using today's computer hardware, software, and interfaces etc. etc. are too numerous to mention in one post. A one or two box solution optimized for playback is urgently needed.

michael123

« Reply #109 on: 17 Jun 2010, 07:15 am »
Have no idea what you're talking about.

I have M2Tech hiFace with BNC output device, plug-it in, install custom driver with Kernel Streaming and foobar, and you got PERFECT transport.

WASAPI on Windows7 with J.River resolves also the issue with Windows mixing stack.

Just need reading and understanding.. Yes, if people are lazy, go buy 2100$ device.. and then SSD disk (where the hell shall I put it in?) Oops.. My collection is 1.5TB in size.. SSD will cost $$$$$. What about network interface?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #110 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:11 am »
Hi Folks,

Boy I have to say the BDP-1 has sure created some controversy from people out there. I guess it’s our fault for not being much clearer about what it is (NOT).  :duh:

It is NOT a 'server' or a 'file management' or a 'file storage' or a 'streamer' system and was never meant to be.  I can certainly understand why people see the value in having an all in one approach to managing and playing their music. And if you’re willing and knowledgeable enough to assemble and set-up an all in one system (bypass K-mixer, check to make sure the bit stream is bit perfect, make sure the soundcard is high quality, make sure there is no impedance mismatches between the input and output connections etc.) I have no issue with that at all - (gee's I have 3 other systems myself with Lynx card, ESI@ card, Mac with Amarra etc.)  .

I am not the most computer or network savvy guy out there and the BDP-1 idea was born out of my own frustration with dealing with all the assembly and set-up issues not to mention the network frustrations I had in my own set-ups at home using and playing the above systems – especially with high resolution files 176 and 192K/24B files. So I thought a dedicated state of the art music playback box that would integrate with our BDA-1 external DAC (very much like a CD Player Drive) would solve a lot of problems for our customers (and myself).  I used a prototype of this idea at the last 2010 Vegas Audio show in January and people were astounded when they found out they were listening to a USB Thumbdrive!  So I was confident the performance was there to be had.

I certainly realize there are other ways to attain high quality music playback using complete all in one systems and I understand the appeal they have for a lot of people.  The BDP-1 is not for someone looking for that type of solution.  It is for someone that recognizes the value of a hardwired (no streaming) digital playback system (using USB drives) and the ability to at least have some limited functionality and ability to play your music files without the need to be connected to a network or have a computer and monitor in the music listening room.  If you wish to employ a network set-up then the BDP-1 will allow you to control your music library through the use of many handheld type devices or any device that allows a web-browser using the home network.  We are working on our own Bryston web-browser interface (works on Windows, Mac and Lynix) which should be available by the time we ship. We will also allow the basic functions on the front panel to be controlled by our Bryston BR-2 remote control – again think of it like a CD Player.

So I think of the Bryston BDP-1 as a music playback system using USB drives instead of CD’s that hopes to achieve better than CD quality music playback of the present and coming high resolution digital files now being offered by many online companies..  It is designed to interface with our external BDA-1 DAC and together give you a state of the art "makes music right out of the box", completely silent, fan-less, no moving parts digital music playback system. It is not an all in one box solution and was never meant to be.

Hope this explains it a bit better.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2010, 02:43 pm by James Tanner »

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #111 on: 17 Jun 2010, 12:53 pm »
If people had actually read the entire thread they would have understood...
Any chance of adding an optical out?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #112 on: 17 Jun 2010, 12:58 pm »
If people had actually read the entire thread they would have understood...
Any chance of adding an optical out?

Hi - we have looked at that but we get better performance with the AES-EBU and BNC outputs.  And recognize that this is our attempt to achieve the best possible performance we can.

james

Napalm

« Reply #113 on: 17 Jun 2010, 01:37 pm »
Boy I have to say the BDP-1 has sure created some controversy from people out there. [...]

"Told you so"  :hyper:

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #114 on: 17 Jun 2010, 02:13 pm »
 :idea: SD card slot.

Nap.  :scratch:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #115 on: 17 Jun 2010, 02:20 pm »
Word/master clock interface

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #116 on: 17 Jun 2010, 02:39 pm »
NO and NO - please guys this is a dedicated system for dedicated purposes - obviously not for everyone :D

james

Napalm

« Reply #117 on: 17 Jun 2010, 02:46 pm »
 :idea: Free BDA-1 with BDP-1 purchase.

Now we could all agree (except James of course).  :icon_twisted:

Nap.

a1p1

« Reply #118 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:14 pm »
Word/master clock interface

+1 on master clock input.

michael123

« Reply #119 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:18 pm »
I actually read all 6 pages of this thread..
and I still do not realize what do I get for 2100$..

I did not ask for "all in one systems" solution either.

I need some specs, measurements..
and photo of the device with upper cover removed :)

It is for someone that recognizes the value of a hardwired (no streaming) digital playback system (using USB drives) and the ability to at least have some limited functionality and ability to play your music files without the need to be connected to a network
What so bad in being connected to network? This is how LINN DS systems work..
Surely, there is a market for high-end transport, but without support for networked storage, you limit yourself to small-medium libraries.