Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle

Napalm

Re: Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle
« Reply #140 on: 4 Jul 2010, 02:11 pm »
BTW folks, I was trying "NAS" yesterday in the shape of a D-link DNS-323 and WD 1TB drives. It took me the best part of the day to figure out that the WD10EARS drive models should not be used in RAID modes. In fact, I got much wiser about large capacity drives and RAID. So now I'm packing them back and will be paying a visit to futureshop shortly for a refund.

:finger: NAS and large drives.

Nap.

whanafi

« Reply #141 on: 4 Jul 2010, 03:25 pm »
BTW folks, I was trying "NAS" yesterday in the shape of a D-link DNS-323 and WD 1TB drives. It took me the best part of the day to figure out that the WD10EARS drive models should not be used in RAID modes. In fact, I got much wiser about large capacity drives and RAID. So now I'm packing them back and will be paying a visit to futureshop shortly for a refund.

:finger: NAS and large drives.

Nap.

The Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ works fine with 1TB drives, and I see they have qualified the 1.5 and 2TB drives now as well. 

When it comes to NAS, spending some money for semi-pro gear is worth it.  I have wasted way too many hours with the entry level stuff.  My current NV has been running 24x7 for 3.5 years, and did a capacity uplift just by swapping drives in the cabinet from the original 4x250Gb to 4x1TB.  The XRAID format they use allows in-place substitution without have to copy all the data out and back.

Napalm

« Reply #142 on: 4 Jul 2010, 03:43 pm »
The Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ works fine with 1TB drives, and I see they have qualified the 1.5 and 2TB drives now as well. 

Well the D-link works with up to 2TB too. Until it doesn't. Unless you use some expensive disks.
As for that particular WD disk, the combination of "green" features (it will shut down by itself after some time without the NAS box knowing what happened), the "Advanced Format" thing (it uses 4k sectors instead of 512 bytes and reports funny things to the NAS box:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-4k-sector,2554-3.html
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=12977.0)
and modifications to firmware so it doesn't behave properly in RAID config so WD could sell you the "RAID edition" which differs by a couple of bytes in the firmware..... makes the whole thing so crappy that my reaction to it is  :finger:

Nap.

skunark

« Reply #143 on: 4 Jul 2010, 05:57 pm »
I've had no issues with WD green drives with drobo's or motherboards with SW raid.. i haven't tried the d-link box though.   

quietdragon

« Reply #144 on: 4 Jul 2010, 06:36 pm »
It is NOT a 'server' or a 'file management' or a 'file storage' or a 'streamer' system and was never meant to be.

Upon reading this I conclude that I'm not in, or perhaps peripheral to, the target market. These days my entire music collection is stored on a machine living in a far away closet and my household enjoys the freedom that comes from being able to access every single bit of that collection from anywhere in the house by any member of the family.

The problem that arises for me is to be able to get those bits to a DAC of my choice. That might mean squeezing the audio out my daughter's iPod, to trying to get the bits out my Bryston amplifier. Having become used to this, I cannot see myself cloning select sections of the library to a USB drive route to feed the BDP-1.

I think I've been spoilt by the access the Squeezebox use model has provided in recent years.

As James points out, the above comes at the technical cost. For example, there's no way that many people without the requisite technical knowledge could ever figure out how to configure and maintain the above. They are comfortable with inserting a CD (or perhaps even a thumb drive) into a player, and pressing PLAY. Any more than that makes the system too complicated to be useful.

That said, I think that SAMBA/CIFS and FLAC support would provide the bare minimum to make the BDP-1 useful to me.

michael123

« Reply #145 on: 4 Jul 2010, 06:59 pm »
Upon reading this I conclude that I'm not in, or perhaps peripheral to, the target market. These days my entire music collection is stored on a machine living in a far away closet and my household enjoys the freedom that comes from being able to access every single bit of that collection from anywhere in the house by any member of the family.

The problem that arises for me is to be able to get those bits to a DAC of my choice. That might mean squeezing the audio out my daughter's iPod, to trying to get the bits out my Bryston amplifier. Having become used to this, I cannot see myself cloning select sections of the library to a USB drive route to feed the BDP-1.

I think I've been spoilt by the access the Squeezebox use model has provided in recent years.

As James points out, the above comes at the technical cost. For example, there's no way that many people without the requisite technical knowledge could ever figure out how to configure and maintain the above. They are comfortable with inserting a CD (or perhaps even a thumb drive) into a player, and pressing PLAY. Any more than that makes the system too complicated to be useful.

That said, I think that SAMBA/CIFS and FLAC support would provide the bare minimum to make the BDP-1 useful to me.

+1
but it is very nice to see company such as Bryston moving into this direction!

skunark

« Reply #146 on: 4 Jul 2010, 08:00 pm »

James has stated in other post that they would like to offer a method to connect to a NAS, but the protocols and what not hasn't been detailed and doesn't sound like it would be available when initially released.   btw, the BDP-1 is suppose to support WAV, AIFF and FLAC, but nothing has been stated about other lossless formats ALAC and WMA or even the lossy AAC or MP3.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #147 on: 4 Jul 2010, 08:15 pm »
Skunark,

if (especially) MP3 would be something the BDP-1 would "play" then i think James would have let us known about that. i can be wrong here but lossy formats like MP3 won't find its way through the BDP-1 ?!? the BDP-1 stands for high quality and high resolution.
maybe James can clarify the situation...

best,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #148 on: 4 Jul 2010, 09:12 pm »
Skunark,

if (especially) MP3 would be something the BDP-1 would "play" then i think James would have let us known about that. i can be wrong here but lossy formats like MP3 won't find its way through the BDP-1 ?!? the BDP-1 stands for high quality and high resolution.
maybe James can clarify the situation...

best,

al.

Correct - I think what has to be remembered is the BDP-1 was born out of a need to play High Resolution files properly (above CD quality). I have both types of systems at home - (main storage and access from anywhere on the network) but I have to say I find myself using the BDP-1 in my own sanctuary more and more - maybe I'm just being selfish but I like the dark room and dedicated music playback in my man-cave. :thumb:

We may include MP3 for all those that know no better :D

james

Napalm

« Reply #149 on: 4 Jul 2010, 09:16 pm »
How about the NAS thing. Will the BDP-1 understand NFS? I'm ready to try a new D-link DNS-323 with different drives on Monday. It supports NFS.

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #150 on: 4 Jul 2010, 09:19 pm »
How about the NAS thing. Will the BDP-1 understand NFS? I'm ready to try a new D-link DNS-323 with different drives on Monday. It supports NFS.

Nap.

We will look at NAS in the future.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #151 on: 4 Jul 2010, 09:21 pm »
Correct - I think what has to be remembered is the BDP-1 was born out of a need to play High Resolution files properly (above CD quality). I have both types of systems at home - (main storage and access from anywhere on the network) but I have to say I find myself using the BDP-1 in my own sanctuary more and more - maybe I'm just being selfish but I like the dark room and dedicataed music playback in my man-cave. :thumb:

We may include MP3 for all those that know no better :D

james

yes, James you are selfish! but it's exactly this selfish behaviour that rewards "us" with products like the BDP-1. i have the strong feeling that your own obsession with this hobby just leads to these products :thumb:

so keep up the good work.

salute to the music!

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #152 on: 4 Jul 2010, 10:43 pm »
Rich Jackson’s Newsletter
rcj@rcj.com

July 2010

Bryston continues to excel at Digital Audio

Bryston's BDP-1 digital music player, a companion to the company's BDA-1 DAC (digital-to-analog converter), was designed to give music aficionados the ability to enjoy their library of high-resolution digital music files (resolutions of up to 24-bit/192kHz are supported) residing on a USB storage device, which in turn is directly connected via standard USB cable or thumb drive to the BDP-1 digital music player.

"The best demo I heard at this years 2010 CES was Bryston’s demo using content streamed from a thumb drive via the BDP-1 and converted through the BDA-1 DAC.   I heard magic from a Digital Source ….  reminiscent of Quad ESL63's with tube electronics using vinyl as a source."

drummermitchell

« Reply #153 on: 4 Jul 2010, 10:47 pm »
That last sentence sounds real good :thumb:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #154 on: 4 Jul 2010, 10:48 pm »
James,

I saw the photos of prototype of the BDP-1 in the Bryston forum at www.audiocircle.com

A fine looking unit.

With regard to NAS support, I hope you also take a look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV_MediaServers

(Perhaps you've already considered it, or something like it.)

I use MediaTomb served up to a Sony PS3.

One of the best things about this kind of approach is the support for zero configuration on the client.

The client [Sony PS3 in my case] leases a DHCP address, and automatically discovers the UPnP servers [MediaTomb in my case].

Earl
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2010, 12:24 am by James Tanner »

skunark

« Reply #155 on: 5 Jul 2010, 01:21 am »
Don't get me wrong, I'm all excited about the BDP-1, just want it to support all the key formats and be user friendly.  There are a lot of excellent sounding options out there and I know Bryston has the ability to outperform them musically, but the less head scratching about why it won't do this or that the more successful I think the product will be. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #156 on: 5 Jul 2010, 01:34 am »
Don't get me wrong, I'm all excited about the BDP-1, just want it to support all the key formats and be user friendly.  There are a lot of excellent sounding options out there and I know Bryston has the ability to outperform them musically, but the less head scratching about why it won't do this or that the more successful I think the product will be.

Yes I realize given what it is it will be a restrictive product and not for everyone.

james

nikon

« Reply #157 on: 5 Jul 2010, 12:34 pm »
James

Couple questions

Could the BDP-1 be used with the DAC option in the BP-26 and what is price for adding DAC to pre-amp

Is the USB connector on the front of the BDP-1 the same as those used on mass market PC products or is it higher quality to withstand 20 years of use  :o

Nikon

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #158 on: 5 Jul 2010, 12:54 pm »
James

Couple questions

Could the BDP-1 be used with the DAC option in the BP-26 and what is price for adding DAC to pre-amp

Is the USB connector on the front of the BDP-1 the same as those used on mass market PC products or is it higher quality to withstand 20 years of use  :o

Nikon

Hi Nikon,

Yes it could be used with the DAC in the BP26 but you would have to use the BNC out not the AES-EBU from the BDP-1.  Yes the connector is of very high quality on the front and the rear 2 USB connectors are soldered directly to the mother board.  The DAC in the BP26 is limited to 96/24 though and is about 2/3rds the price of the BDA-1 External DAC.

Digital products with no moving parts are warranteed for 5 years.

james
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2010, 04:52 pm by James Tanner »

StigO

« Reply #159 on: 5 Jul 2010, 05:39 pm »
what about monkey audio? There should be support for all lossless audio...
http://www.monkeysaudio.com/