What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

rockadanny

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #12720 on: 29 Sep 2015, 06:37 pm »
Chet Baker - The Pacific Jazz Years - 4-disc box set

A non-audio friend (NAF) purchased this box used because he thought he might like some jazz music. He hated it! He asked if I wanted it (for free). Sure!! Lucky me he hated it, 'cause I think its great.

From AMG:
These four CDs are perfect for anyone seeking a primer of Chet Baker's (trumpet/vocals) sides for Pacific Jazz. The collection boasts over three-and-a-half-hours of primal West Coast cool from one of the subgenre's most luminous scene-makers. Although his tenure with the label lasted a mere five years (1952 -- 1957), the impact that the artist made continued its influence far beyond the realm of post-bop jazz, thanks in part to the variety of bands featuring Baker as either a member or leader. The legendary combo with Gerry Mulligan (baritone sax) was notable as being the only unit of its kind -- without a pianist -- yielding Baker's unofficial theme song, the classic "My Funny Valentine." Additional highlights by this aggregate are "Freeway" and "My Old Flame." Many listeners consider Baker's singing as an acquired taste. Parties fond of his supremely unpretentious and at times seemingly tortured delivery will find a healthy sampling of his vocals, including "But Not for Me," "You Don't Know What Love Is," "Let's Get Lost" and "Grey December." Chet Baker: The Pacific Jazz Years includes a few otherwise unavailable cuts. Primarily, selections from June '53 with the Stan Getz/Chet Baker quintet: "Come Out Wherever You Are," "What's New" and "Half Nelson" -- all of which were captured at the Haig in L.A. As if that weren't enough, a nearly 18-minute-long performance of "All the Things You Are" with Stan Getz, Russ Freeman, Carlson Smith and Shelly Manne (drums), at the infamous Tiffany Club in 1954 is an additional bonus.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12721 on: 29 Sep 2015, 07:07 pm »
Chet Baker - The Pacific Jazz Years - 4-disc box set

A non-audio friend (NAF) purchased this box used because he thought he might like some jazz music. He hated it! He asked if I wanted it (for free). Sure!! Lucky me he hated it, 'cause I think its great.

Gee rocka, wish I had some NAF's like that. Hope you treated him to a brew to say Thanks.  :beer:

rockadanny

« Reply #12722 on: 29 Sep 2015, 07:09 pm »
Yo AD, I surely did!  :beer:   :D

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #12723 on: 30 Sep 2015, 12:17 am »
A fine album by Joe Henderson.

Samples

Personnel includes: Joe Henderson (arranger, tenor saxophone); Slide Hampton, Don Sickler, Bob Belden (conductor); Dick Oatts (soprano & alto saxophones); Steve Wilson, Pete Yellin (alto saxophone); Tim Ries, Craig Handy (tenor saxophone); Gary Smulyan, Joe Temperley (baritone saxophone); Jon Faddis, Freddie Hubbard, Nicholas Payton, Lew Soloff, Michael Philip Mossman, Ray Vega, Idrees Sulieman (trumpet); Robin Eubanks, Conrad Herwig, Jimmy Knepper (trombone); Dave Taylor (bass trombone); Chick Corea, Ronnie Mathews (piano); Christian McBride (bass); Joe Chambers, Al Foster, Lewis Nash (drums).

Starchild

« Reply #12724 on: 30 Sep 2015, 01:15 am »
Good vibes.

Samples

Starchild

« Reply #12725 on: 30 Sep 2015, 01:58 am »
Nicety!

Samples

ACHiPo

« Reply #12726 on: 30 Sep 2015, 04:26 am »
A fine album by Joe Henderson.

Samples

Personnel includes: Joe Henderson (arranger, tenor saxophone); Slide Hampton, Don Sickler, Bob Belden (conductor); Dick Oatts (soprano & alto saxophones); Steve Wilson, Pete Yellin (alto saxophone); Tim Ries, Craig Handy (tenor saxophone); Gary Smulyan, Joe Temperley (baritone saxophone); Jon Faddis, Freddie Hubbard, Nicholas Payton, Lew Soloff, Michael Philip Mossman, Ray Vega, Idrees Sulieman (trumpet); Robin Eubanks, Conrad Herwig, Jimmy Knepper (trombone); Dave Taylor (bass trombone); Chick Corea, Ronnie Mathews (piano); Christian McBride (bass); Joe Chambers, Al Foster, Lewis Nash (drums).
Loving the commentary Star and Danny!  Keep it up!

Starchild

« Reply #12727 on: 30 Sep 2015, 10:21 am »
A very smooth live set from Jim Hall.  This is another one of those $6.39 downloads from Ponomusic and the sound quality is very good.  Due to the presence of such bargains (you do have to look for them though) and the quality of their cataloque I've pretty much stopped buying music from HD tracks.  If anyone is interested, I would be glad to post a list of the low price downloads I've purchased from Ponomuisc.  They're all standard resoultion (44.1/16) but by and large the sound quality has been very good to excellent. Oh, by the way, I'm not affiliiated with Ponomusic in any way.  Just a satisifed customer.  This could be a could be the makings of a good sticky post where members could share good prices on downloads they've encountered.

Samples

Personnel: Jim Hall (guitar); Don Thompson (bass); Terry Clarke (drums)

Starchild

« Reply #12728 on: 30 Sep 2015, 11:03 am »
An excellent double disk set by Pat Martino.  I got this one $7.69.  Good music for less than $9 a pop is a victory to me.  Especially if its out of print or hard to find.  Cheaper than Amazon without the wait.

Samples

Performance Credits:

Pat Martino   Primary Artist,Guitar
Marc Johnson   Bass
Sherman Ferguson   Drums
Robert Kenmotsu   Tenor Saxophone
James Ridl   Piano
Bill Stewart   Drums

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12729 on: 30 Sep 2015, 02:34 pm »

Bill Evans:     12 Classic Albums, 1956-1962     '14   disc 4

My first set from these folks, Enlightenment, at least as good as the Real Gone Jazz remasters so far. If a fan of piano, Evans, or just curious about the man & his music this is a very nice/economical set to get his section of the library started or expanded. It's obvious these sets, many live, were very well recorded originally. Like the RGJ sets liner notes are sparse. Album titles/pictures show on case liner & CDs, there is a listing of what album is on what disc in the liner notes, but not on the discs. Track title/length noted on back insert & inside liner notes.

rockadanny

« Reply #12730 on: 30 Sep 2015, 02:57 pm »
Erroll Garner - The Complete Concert By The Sea.

Recorded when I was a mere few weeks old, I've listened to the original release of this concert (edited down to fit on an album) for some time. Glad to finally hear it in it's entirety!
For most live performances I really prefer having them in their entirety. Not too feasible back in the days of vinyl, but certainly these days. And often times exposing a very different vibe over the originally released (edited) version.

From the 'Zon:
Iconic Jazz artist Erroll Garner's greatest concert album and one of the best selling jazz albums of all time, The Complete Concert By The Sea celebrates the 60th Anniversary of the original concert from September 19, 1955. The complete live concert recording newly uncovered by the Erroll Garner Jazz Project and digitally remastered in its entirety after six decades is produced by Guggenheim® Award-winning jazz pianist and Director of Jazz Studies at the University of Pittsburgh Geri Allen and 4-time GRAMMY®Award-winning producer Steve Rosenthal. The 3-CD box set contains the complete live Concert By The Sea including 11 previously unreleased tracks, the original edited Columbia release from 1956 and bonus material including announcer Jimmy Lyons and interviews with the Erroll Garner trio: Denzil DaCosta Best, Eddie Calhoun, and Garner himself, recorded directly after the concert.

Warning: the size of this package is goofy! 5 1/2" (w) x 6 1/8" (h) - doesn't fit in any of my storage racks. Arghhh!!!!

Starchild

« Reply #12731 on: 1 Oct 2015, 12:08 am »
One of her better albums in recent memjory.  The deluxe version has four more tracks.  A bueatifully conveived and recordedr album. Highly recommended.  Now that I have two copies (I got the regular from the library and bought the deluxe version).  I see that a Wallflower: The Complete Sessions [Super Deluxe Edition] has been released with a total of 20 songs.  You know there's a lot of pissede off people out there (myself included).  That's capitalism for you.  Anyhow, if you haven't purchased it, you should consider it.

Samples

Starchild

« Reply #12732 on: 1 Oct 2015, 12:47 am »
Whasssuppp!!!

Samples

Starchild

« Reply #12733 on: 1 Oct 2015, 01:44 am »
Wowsers!!

Samples

Starchild

« Reply #12734 on: 1 Oct 2015, 10:47 am »
A great way to start the morning.

Jackson, Johnson, Brown & Company

Personnel: Milt Jackson (vibraphone); J.J. Johnson (trombone); Ray Brown (bass); Tom Ranier (piano); John Collins (guitar); Roy McCurdy (drums).

Asimov

« Reply #12735 on: 1 Oct 2015, 11:04 am »

J.J. Johnson - Broadway Express

Asimov

« Reply #12736 on: 1 Oct 2015, 11:31 am »

Joe Temperley - Double Duke

Starchild

« Reply #12737 on: 1 Oct 2015, 10:40 pm »
A very nice compilation of Ike Quebec tunes released by Blue Note.

Ike Quebec Complete Blue Note 45 Sessions

Personnel: Ike Quebec (tenor saxophone); Ike Quebec; Willie Jones , Willie Jones (guitar); Sonny Wellesley, Milt Hinton, Sam Jones (double bass); Skeeter Best (guitar); Edwin Swanston, Earl Van Dyke, Sir Charles Thompson (organ); J.C. Heard, Les Jenkins, Wilbert G.T. Hogan (drums).

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12738 on: 1 Oct 2015, 11:44 pm »

That first one is a bad-to-the-bone Mapleshade recording.  The Mapleshade catalog has uncompressed and veddy live sonics if you don't know.  Ya'll must check it out!

Asimov

« Reply #12739 on: 2 Oct 2015, 05:12 am »

Don Wilkerson - Elder Don