What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #6160 on: 29 Jan 2014, 12:51 am »
Miles Davis: The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965

Disc One

EarPal

« Reply #6161 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:39 am »

Ted Curson & Co. - Ode To Booker Ervin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFb77Dn2seQ

Asimov

« Reply #6162 on: 29 Jan 2014, 03:04 am »
Would you mind commenting on this recording? I recently discovered this trio, purchased "Imprint", and am interested in more. Thanks. Wonderful thread.

It's really good.
I liked it very much.

jMelvin

« Reply #6163 on: 29 Jan 2014, 02:53 pm »
It's really good.
I liked it very much.

Thanks.

rockadanny

« Reply #6164 on: 29 Jan 2014, 03:49 pm »
Yes, thank you Asimov.  :thumb:  I am going to order "Imprint" and "In Full View".

rockadanny

« Reply #6165 on: 29 Jan 2014, 03:53 pm »
Spinning the amazing Tony Williams this morning:

Native Heart

Neptune

rockadanny

« Reply #6166 on: 29 Jan 2014, 03:55 pm »

rockadanny

« Reply #6167 on: 29 Jan 2014, 07:08 pm »
With the exception of Miles Davis's Bitches Brew, Tony Williams's group Lifetime--the pioneering late '60s trio featuring organist Larry Young, and guitarist John McLauglin--wrote the book on jazz-rock fusion. This 2004 London concert features two former Miles sidemen as well as Jack DeJohnette, John Scofield, and Larry Goldings, who was contacted by Williams to join his band before his untimely death in 1997. It brilliantly updates music from Lifetime's seminal recordings Emergency! and Turn it Over. DeJohnette succeeded Williams in Davis's band, and his articulated drumming drives Scofield's blues-trenched, Hendrixian guitar licks and Goldings's evocative organ voicings, electric piano, and digital sampling. Their rewiring of the combustible blues "If," the spacey ballad "As One," and the rock-out numbers "Spectrum" and "Emergency" shows that this music is as durable as it is dynamic. The cooperatively composed title track further highlights Williams's never-ending influence and the exceptional improvisational acumen of these musicians.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6168 on: 29 Jan 2014, 08:42 pm »
Amazing is right, D.  When Miles played The Jazz Workshop in SF in the 60's, the club suspended the sale of alcohol because his drummer Williams was underage.  I know this because I was there.  Underage, too, I was but fudged an ID.  Outside, anyway, with ton of other slackers.  His sets were sold out the entire weekend I was visiting.  The one album I have of Willaims when he began leading his own groups is The Best of Tony Williams on Columbia.  It pisses me off cause it's such a tease.  It's a blend of some of his studio and live recordings.  Thanks for posting those.  Recommend a favorite for me. 

rockadanny

« Reply #6169 on: 29 Jan 2014, 10:18 pm »
My favorite TW as leader is Tokyo Live :thumb:
I think it is very tough for a drummer to lead a band.
TW is one of only a few drummers who can lead a band where I don't get tired of his sound at the forefront.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6170 on: 29 Jan 2014, 10:25 pm »
Thank you, good sir.

rockadanny

« Reply #6171 on: 29 Jan 2014, 10:30 pm »
Dave's True Story: self-titled; and Nature.

The duo Dave's True Story formed in Manhattan, when songwriter/guitarist David Cantor and singer Kelly Flint met through connections in the New York music scene; Flint showed an affinity for singing Cantor's witty, often risqué songs written in the style of Porter and Gershwin. The duo released their self-titled debut on their own BePop label in 1996 and built a following by performing frequently at New York clubs and touring the Northeast.

I saw this group in Atlanta a few years ago. Kelly ... What a voice! What a beauty! And singing those sexy-smart, titillating lyrics of Dave's was like watching an adult dream, but live. I would have made a move on her, but her giant-sized hulk of a husband was there playing bass. Dang it!

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #6172 on: 30 Jan 2014, 01:14 am »
John Scofield Quartet  ~  What We Do

Blue Note

jMelvin

« Reply #6173 on: 30 Jan 2014, 01:44 am »

Stefan Aeby Trio "are you...?"

Asimov

« Reply #6174 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:01 am »

Freddie Hubbard : Blue Spirits

EarPal

« Reply #6176 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:33 am »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6177 on: 30 Jan 2014, 03:00 am »

Andrew Hill's Point of Departure (Blue Note) with Joe Henderson, Kenny Dorham, Eric Dolphy, Richard Davis and Tony Williams.  The track Refuge is a flat out monster.

Deeper- Maria Neckum is the most unusual jazz song writer and singer you've never heard.  She is from Austria by way of an ashram (so suggest her lyrics to me) and may live in Brooklyn now.  Her vocalizing is like none other.  Check out how she improvises after her tenor sax player's solo on Fear and what she does when the horns chime in and how she sings instrumentally on Missing You. 

rockadanny

« Reply #6178 on: 30 Jan 2014, 10:59 pm »
Just ended my work day with these two from Jackie McLean:

rockadanny

« Reply #6179 on: 30 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm »
Think I'll make it a Jackie McLean evening.

Spinning this one now:

And on deck:

I love having several from one artist whom I really dig. Makes for a fun stretch.  :thumb:
I usually spin them in chronological order. It often indicates how they mature, or at least enjoy the musical journey they were on. Very special.