Brutes in figured walnut

kurtloup

Re: Brutes in figured walnut
« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2024, 08:48 pm »
I’m getting close to finishing the cabinet for a matching sub. I put the first two coats of oil finish on this afternoon.

emailtim

« Reply #21 on: 22 Mar 2024, 01:53 am »
Very nice work !!!

oskar

« Reply #22 on: 22 Mar 2024, 01:48 pm »
Now that is a very well braced box!
Nice work on the veneering.
Fire it up.

Medialink

« Reply #23 on: 22 Mar 2024, 09:33 pm »
nice transition well done!

kurtloup

« Reply #24 on: 22 Mar 2024, 11:19 pm »
Thanks. I should finish this weekend.

Nickando

« Reply #25 on: 23 Mar 2024, 06:30 am »
Hey Kurtloup, is that one of the sealed servo kit flatpacks from GR or did you make that cabinet from scratch? Just ordered one of the flatpacks and have been thinking about how to integrate the plate amp to the back.

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #26 on: 23 Mar 2024, 12:44 pm »
Great build and finish. Really nice craftsmanship. Question, what radius did on the front and did you veneer the side-front-side in one go? How did you manage the front radius corners?

kurtloup

« Reply #27 on: 23 Mar 2024, 02:46 pm »
Hey Kurtloup, is that one of the sealed servo kit flatpacks from GR or did you make that cabinet from scratch? Just ordered one of the flatpacks and have been thinking about how to integrate the plate amp to the back.

I built from scratch following the plans from GR Research. I did deviate by using 1” mdf, except front baffle, and made the depth a slight bit deeper keeping the same spacing between bracing. I cut out a plywood template using my tablesaw to use with a bearing guided router bit to cut out a clean hole for the amp. The majority of the waste was removed with a jigsaw.

kurtloup

« Reply #28 on: 23 Mar 2024, 02:55 pm »
Great build and finish. Really nice craftsmanship. Question, what radius did on the front and did you veneer the side-front-side in one go? How did you manage the front radius corners?

Thanks. The front, top and back was veneered with one continuous grain section. The bottom and sides are not continuous grain. The 4x8 sheet of veneer was not wide enough to wrap around front and sides like I did on the Brutes. I had to change things up, but the front and tops of the sub and Brutes match grain pattern wise. Since I used 1” mdf, I used a 1/2” round over. I did not round over the exterior front corners like I did with Brutes.

Nickando

« Reply #29 on: 23 Mar 2024, 09:14 pm »
I built from scratch following the plans from GR Research. I did deviate by using 1” mdf, except front baffle, and made the depth a slight bit deeper keeping the same spacing between bracing. I cut out a plywood template using my tablesaw to use with a bearing guided router bit to cut out a clean hole for the amp. The majority of the waste was removed with a jigsaw.

Beautiful. Thanks for the extra pictures! Do you think I'd lose too much internal space if I just cut out a hole for the plate amp on the flatpack?

Nickando

« Reply #30 on: 23 Mar 2024, 09:17 pm »

I wrote my reply in the quite by mistake (my first 'quote') ha

kurtloup

« Reply #31 on: 23 Mar 2024, 09:36 pm »
I assume you should be ok. Not sure how you’d mount the amp otherwise.

Nickando

« Reply #32 on: 23 Mar 2024, 09:40 pm »
I assume you should be ok. Not sure how you’d mount the amp otherwise.

My alternative was to track on its own enclosure at the back and veneer them so it looks continuous. Thanks for your help and the post. It's really helpful!

kurtloup

« Reply #33 on: 28 Mar 2024, 09:50 pm »
I finished the sub. The combo sounds great.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #34 on: 28 Mar 2024, 09:53 pm »
Stunning! Awesome work!

Nickando

« Reply #35 on: 28 Mar 2024, 09:59 pm »
I finished the sub. The combo sounds great.

Looks fantastic. Really nicely done.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #36 on: 28 Mar 2024, 10:00 pm »
Beautiful!

kurtloup

« Reply #37 on: 28 Mar 2024, 10:49 pm »
Thanks

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #38 on: 28 Mar 2024, 11:13 pm »
I really like how refined the finish is as a nice contrast to how stout and muscular they look.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #39 on: 29 Mar 2024, 02:25 am »
You need a second sub.😉