Da Sub .... Da Bass....

2bigears

Da Sub .... Da Bass....
« on: 17 Jan 2015, 08:20 pm »
 :D   Danny,,,, i'm using a set of V's for bass units for Mag 3.6's.... Should i position them head-on like reg speakers ??  i thought bass was non-directional....     :D    first thoughts and impressions are good.  i just have one set up at the moment not pointed at me. i will set the other one up soon to try  multi sub ....   :D   any help thank you very much,,,,   :D

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Da Sub .... Da Bass....
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2015, 08:23 pm »
For Super-V's point the subs at you.  OB bass has a directivity pattern with the peak on the speaker axis.  The sides are a null. 

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2015, 08:31 pm »
 :D  thanks,,,,  so why are both drivers not pointed frontward ????   :D

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2015, 08:38 pm »
That is to balance weight in the H Frame. 

Both drivers are working in the same polarity, so they move the same direction relative to each other even though they are reversed in direction.

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2015, 08:41 pm »
 :D   ohhhhh,   thank you very much for that.... who knew..  even though i built them a while back,,,,ha .... :D

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2015, 09:41 pm »
 :D  ok,,,, next question ,, after i sell my Super V's ,,,, will 3 smaller drivers work better than the 2 big drivers to sublament Mag 3.6's ????  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2015, 09:43 pm »
Won't matter.  Maggies go low enough that the big drivers would be perfectly fine with them.  But if you want a narrower profile, three 8's will be OK too.  Main thing is to use OB subs, to match the radiation characteristics of your Maggies.

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2015, 09:50 pm »
 :D   i was thisssssss close to selling the Mags....  till i married them to ob bass.   holy shit ....
           so no difference in output or richness between 12's or 8's ????   i think a smaller floor print would make me happier ,,,,
               the old simple thought process makes you think bigger is better , smaller is faster,but they are servo ,,,, :D   
                 or i can simply cut the tops off the V's and sell those ..   hummmm  :D

bdp24

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2015, 04:12 am »
My GR OB subs are also paired with magnetic planar speakers, but Eminent Technology LFT-8b's (crossed-over at 180HZ and used in place of the ET's woofers) rather than Magneplanars. My Tympani IV's are too big for the room I now have! The OBs are THE subs for all planar speakers, magnetic, ribbon, and ESL.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2015, 11:24 am by bdp24 »

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2015, 08:09 pm »
What they said, and for your application I would stick with the 12's over the 8's.