Dspeaker Dual Core review

Rclark

Re: Dspeaker Dual Core review
« Reply #120 on: 7 Nov 2012, 04:51 am »
thanks Jim, I will try that later on tonight.

That worked! Holy ••••! That is just unbelievably awesome sounding. I am in lust with this sound.

mgalusha

« Reply #121 on: 7 Nov 2012, 05:12 am »
I'm not saying it's a problem, it's something fairly fundamental to these DSP-based units. If someone who had one could measure the frequency response, that would pretty much tell.

I'm visiting Mike at Tweekgeek this coming weekend and perhaps I can run a sweep on his, assuming there is interest.

Afterimage

« Reply #122 on: 7 Nov 2012, 06:07 am »
Hi ryno,

I didn't have a chance to A/B the Gungnir with the DSPeaker Dual Core. The Gungnir was sold and I need to get it shipped tomorrow, but maybe I will A/B just the DAC performance tomorrow before I pack up the Gungnir.

What sold me on the DSPeaker was its positive impact on the sound of my system (bass in particular) when using the analog input for my vinyl playback (!). I A/Bed the DSPeaker A/D/A in bypass mode (no DSP employed) with an all analog signal, and while the audition was not very very extensive (where I imagine small differences would probably be revealed), I heard no degradation of the sound (output level was lower through the DSPeaker though, I needed to adjust listening levels with an SPL meter; incidentally this is a good thing in my system, which has a little too much gain overall). Once the DSP was run (via Typical setting) the Dual Core clearly improved the sound.

More details to come as I live with the DSPeaker for a little while longer.

Only gripe so far is that I haven't had any luck with the Toslink input (which the dealer said was picky). Analog and USB work fine. Hopefully toying with the optical cables will get this sorted out.

I am using a Wyred For Sound Music server with my Dual Core.  Since the W4S. does not have USB out and Dual Core does not have a Coaxial input, I have to use toslink as well.   If you could, please post if you find a toslink cable that works well.  Thanks

srb

« Reply #123 on: 7 Nov 2012, 06:24 am »
Coaxial digital cables can vary the sound due to differences in electrical impedance, capacitance and connector geometry, but the best you can do for a Toslink optical cable is to have high quality glass fibers that have ends properly polished and terminated.

I don't think you can do any better than the Lifatec Silflex Glass Toslink cables.  Their cost is based on precision materials and German manufacturing, but without additional audiophile markup.

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Steve

rodge827

« Reply #124 on: 7 Nov 2012, 02:51 pm »
I'm using a Wireworld Super Nova V with my Dual Core. They make the Super Nova VI now and it runs around $135.00.

medium jim

« Reply #125 on: 7 Nov 2012, 04:44 pm »
That worked! Holy ••••! That is just unbelievably awesome sounding. I am in lust with this sound.

Rclark:

Glad it worked out!

Jim

Guidof

« Reply #126 on: 8 Nov 2012, 01:09 am »

I don't think you can do any better than the Lifatec Silflex Glass Toslink cables.  Their cost is based on precision materials and German manufacturing, but without additional audiophile markup.

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Steve

I second this suggestion. The Lifatec is an excellent cable and a great value for money.

Guido F.

Rclark

« Reply #127 on: 8 Nov 2012, 02:06 am »
Rclark:

Glad it worked out!

Jim

Yeah, thanks Jim, that was a neat trick!

JohnR

« Reply #128 on: 8 Nov 2012, 02:28 pm »
I'm visiting Mike at Tweekgeek this coming weekend and perhaps I can run a sweep on his, assuming there is interest.

Hi Mike, I'd be interested, if it's not too much trouble :)

Afterimage

« Reply #129 on: 9 Nov 2012, 12:56 am »
Anyone  using it in place of a preamp?  I currently have mine going directly into a Simaudio amp.   However, I have the new Primare A34.2 amp coming in and was thinking about buying the matching pre as well.  But now, I don't know.  The Primare Pre32 is a nice looking piece and would look great in my rack, but I'm just not sure if there will any sonics benefits to having it in the system.  Thoughts?

roscoeiii

« Reply #130 on: 9 Nov 2012, 01:02 am »
The dealer I bought mine from (Jeff Stake in Bloomington Indiana, great guy & very helpful  :thumb:)  was using his DSPeaker Dual Core as a preamp in his set-up with Harbeths and I forget what amp (a Scandinavian maker, IIRC). Didn't have a chance to listen to that set-up, but he liked it a lot.

I will add bypassing my preamp (a MF kW linestage that has always made such a great contribution to my sound) to my to-do list.

mgalusha

« Reply #131 on: 9 Nov 2012, 02:20 am »
Hi Mike, I'd be interested, if it's not too much trouble :)

I'll see if it can be arranged.

rodge827

« Reply #132 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:02 am »
Anyone  using it in place of a preamp?

Yes I am...47 Labs Transport>MSB Digital Director>Dual Core Optical SPDIF Input>XLR output to Amp and RCA outputs to dual subs.

I'm running the front end on 12v battery and truly do love the way it sounds not quite as hard in sound as with the supplied ps. Less cables and fewer places for the signal to pass through.
I A/B'ed the Dual Core Dac with a Buffalo 32s Dac (RCA Analog Input) and felt that the Dual Core Dac did an excellent job at getting the music across. My transport has dual coaxial outputs so the comparison was in real time.

Give it a try and see what you think, you might just like it that way.

I sold my 32s and Warpspeed Optocoupler which covered the cost for the Dual Core.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #133 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:05 am »
Just be sure the output of the Dual-Core is sufficient to drive your amp.  It's output of 1.65V will not push my Bottlehead 300B amps as loud as I desire, so I am limited to using it on just the subs.

rodge827

« Reply #134 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:17 am »
Yeah, I thought that would be a problem for me too.

But it drove my Virtual Mode amp and OzarkToms' TBI MG3 just fine into my Shelby + Kroll 86db into 6ohm monitors.

System dependent I guess.

medium jim

« Reply #135 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:48 am »
Yeah, I thought that would be a problem for me too.

But it drove my Virtual Mode amp and OzarkToms' TBI MG3 just fine into my Shelby + Kroll 86db into 6ohm monitors.

System dependent I guess.

I drive my Magnepan 2.5's that are 84db and 4ohm with a pair Marantz Model 9's in triode most of the time.  In triode they're rated at 40 watts.  If it starts to get a bit compressed on the top, I switch to Ultra-Linear (70 watts).

To be fair, my 2.5's did have the x/o's upgraded to 2.6 specs which would bring them up to 87db....

Jim

roscoeiii

« Reply #136 on: 9 Nov 2012, 05:27 am »
I would say that too much gain is a more common problem than not enough gain, especially if going all digital. I appreciated the lower 1.65v output in my system.

Of course amp gain will  vary, as does speaker efficiency.

rodge827

« Reply #137 on: 9 Nov 2012, 12:28 pm »
I would say that too much gain is a more common problem than not enough gain, especially if going all digital.

Tru dat!  :thumb:

I forgot to mention that the Virtual Mode amp has a low input at .25v, high gain, and unlimited bandwidth.
The amp was designed to work with passive pre amps, so the Dual Core fits in rather well. I really like the analog attenuator using 1/2db steps and not 2db that is common among many stepped attenuators. You can dial in the loudness to your relative liking, and not get caught in that too loud or too soft conundrum.

roscoeiii

« Reply #138 on: 9 Nov 2012, 12:59 pm »
Though be aware that the volume control and all controls are remote only

rodge827

« Reply #139 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:15 pm »
Hi Rodge:

Glad to read that you and your family made it safely through Hurricane Sandy.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

As it is right now we are dealing with the car insurance companies and flood insurance people.
I'm almost finished documenting all of the contents that were lost and getting the necessary supporting doc's from my electrician, builder, mold remediation guy, and plumber to submit for reimbursement.  :roll:

Here's a couple of things for you or anyone living in a flood zone.

I have been living in my home for 22yrs. A few years ago FEMA (I think it was them or another power that be) raised the flood elevation 3". So my original flood certificate is worthless and I need a new one before I can have a new hot water heater and furnace installed :x.

It will take about 10 days for my civil engineer and golf buddy Jeff to issue a new one at a cost of $650.00  :evil:. No more gimmies for him! :P

Bottom line is take some time to look into any changes that may have occurred and get the doc' updated.  Things will go a lot faster if you should you ever have to deal with this kind of a situation.

Now back to the Dual Core thread.

Though be aware that the volume control and all controls are remote only

I find it to be very transparent and I heard through the vine that Dspeaker will be publishing the codes so that a universal remote could be used.

Hope so the remote is kinda' small and flimsy.

At times I feel that I might break it.  :weights: