Suspiro phono pre set up challenges

Dishman442

Suspiro phono pre set up challenges
« on: 26 Sep 2018, 11:46 pm »
Did anyone else have challenges getting the case off the Suspiro to access the settings?  The instructions say to remove the 4 hex screws on the bottom. There are 12 hex screws on the bottom...  to be fair, the outermost 4 go through the sides of the case and are most likely correct. With those gone, it absolutely refused to slide out of the case. I discovered the feet, when screwed down hard, overlap the sides of the case so I pulled the feet off. It still wouldn’t come apart and without the feet I had nothing to push or pull with.

Did anyone else have this challenge and solve it?  Please share before I’m tempted to use a rubber mallet.  ;)

Loki57

Re: Suspiro phono pre set up challenges
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2018, 01:45 pm »
Take out the 4 screws that hold the 2 cases together. Turn the case upside down and slide them apart. Klaus uses a piece of vibration material that makes it hard to slide the top off.

Dishman442

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2018, 10:17 pm »
Thanks Loki57 !

It’s good to know I’m removing the correct hex screws. My wife and I pulled from opposite ends as hard as we could, nada. I may have to try to loosen the damping material somehow.

Loki57

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2018, 10:43 pm »
I don't think you can loosen the damping. Keep trying. You'll get it. Like all of Kaus' products it's built like a tank. Good stuff.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2018, 09:51 pm »
Get it running? Impressions?

Dishman442

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2018, 10:40 pm »
I’m embarrassed to say I haven’t. Not been feeling too hot, didn’t feel like wrestling with it.

AlTran

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2018, 05:23 pm »
Try to give a little lift at the center of the cover & slowly sliding it out.

kahlenz

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2018, 08:46 am »
I'm not too happy with the case design for this product.  It's a bitch taking the cover off, and tricky to put back on.  The good thing is that it is hard to hurt anything if you are careful.  I use a screwdriver to pry the case apart (I'm not too concerned if I scratch the finish - nobody will see it - or care - anyway).

This product would be greatly improved if the switches were accessible from the front of the case (or the top, or back at least).  Somewhere where I wouldn't have to take the case apart to get at them.

GentleBender

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2018, 09:08 am »
I suppose there may be some slight variations with the cases since each one is assembled by hand here in the USA. I was able to slide mine right off the couple of times I played with the loading. I would definitely prefer having access to them via a front or rear panel, but it sounds so good I can forgive it. You shouldn’t have to bother with it much once you have it dialed in.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2018, 04:27 am »
Guys,  come on...it's just a top cover.  And yes,  the dampening material makes it a bit difficult to move,  but still very manageable.   Now,  I could leave the material out,  but it works very well.  And yes,  I always adjust the settings to the cartridges.   Putting them on the outside ???  Of course can be done,  but again,  would interfere hugely with performance on our design,  so,  nope.........