What LPs have you listened to recently?

orthobiz

Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #2140 on: 18 Jun 2011, 08:13 pm »
Cool Pumpkinman
Live Sky is great...

Paul

bside123

« Reply #2141 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:10 am »

The Doors - 1985 European Reissue, German Pressing (Originally 1973 Elektra Records) LP

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2142 on: 19 Jun 2011, 04:09 pm »
The Decemberists - The Tain--5 Songs

They may have passed TNP as my favorite band from the last decade :thumb:
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2011, 05:43 am by vinyl_lady »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2143 on: 19 Jun 2011, 07:30 pm »
Moby Grape ~ 20 Granite Creek (White Label Promo)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2144 on: 19 Jun 2011, 08:17 pm »
The Decemberists

Castaways and Cutouts

Berndt

« Reply #2145 on: 19 Jun 2011, 09:50 pm »
One of my mothers lps, brings back childhood memories of her singing along.
It cleaned up great, and sounds exceptional for mono...

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #2146 on: 21 Jun 2011, 10:20 pm »
Just got a VPI Scout to replace my 25 year old Denon 52, it came with a Grado Gold, but I have a lightly used Shelter 501 MkII in the wings, and an hour ago the nice man in the brown truck dropped off a DV 20X2-L.

Great bass presentation with this setup, rich mids, top end off a smidge, but it's not fully dialed in either.

Oh, and it's my $1 crackhouse copy, I still have to take the 45rpm version out of the shrinkwrap.

edit: Is it too hack a move to say I love Rhiannon?!?

Fleetwood Mac - Self Titled

MFSL LP I picked up a couple years ago for $3.00 at a goodwill store

orientalexpress

« Reply #2147 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:14 pm »

Great Instrumental Album,this will make your speakers work hard. :thumb:

orientalexpress

« Reply #2148 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:20 pm »

when i first listen this album,the guitar God Joe Satriani got his start here. :o

orientalexpress

« Reply #2149 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:31 pm »

i preferred her Vocal Tone over Stevie Nick  :thumb:

Lapsan

ltr317

« Reply #2150 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:34 pm »
Just got a VPI Scout to replace my 25 year old Denon 52, it came with a Grado Gold, but I have a lightly used Shelter 501 MkII in the wings, and an hour ago the nice man in the brown truck dropped off a DV 20X2-L.

Great bass presentation with this setup, rich mids, top end off a smidge, but it's not fully dialed in either.

Oh, and it's my $1 crackhouse copy, I still have to take the 45rpm version out of the shrinkwrap.

edit: Is it too hack a move to say I love Rhiannon?!?

It's a great album, and Rhiannon is awesome!

orthobiz

« Reply #2151 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:21 am »

i preferred her Vocal Tone over Stevie Nick  :thumb:

Lapsan

Another vote for McVie.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2152 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:22 am »
Moby Grape ~ 20 Granite Creek (White Label Promo)

Oh, great PUmpkin. Another find!

Paul

etcarroll

« Reply #2153 on: 23 Jun 2011, 03:03 pm »
Katy Lied
Steely Dan | Format: vinyl

etcarroll

« Reply #2154 on: 24 Jun 2011, 02:28 am »
The Cry of Love [Original recording]
Jimi Hendrix | Format: Vinyl

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2155 on: 24 Jun 2011, 03:52 am »
The Decemberists - The Tain--5 Songs

They may have passed TNP as my favorite band from the last decade :thumb:
I'll be checkin samples tomorrow.  Gracias.  Would right now cept I'm listenin to My Favorite Things (John Coltrane).

Tell you what, Laura, how about accepting my invitation to listen to this album.  The title track is the same song from The Sound of Music written by Rodgers and Hammerstein only taken in 3/4 (waltz) time and it's positively beautiful in any language.  This won't be a challenge for you.  In fact, like millions of people-jazz aficianados or otherwise-I predict you'll love it.  His pianist on the date is a very young McCoy Tyner scarcely out of music school.  His playing is yery in tune with what Coltrane wanted and became a permanent member of Coltrane's quartet for most of the following decade.  It's followed by Everytime We Say Goodbye, a Cole Porter ballad, slow and sentimental and also played lovingly on soprano saxophone which people thought of for years before this release as a Dixieland music instrument.  Not anymore.  But Not For Me is a Gershwin tune that has been recorded dozens of times and for good reason.  It, too, is done beautifully here tho with more jazz originality.  The fourth and last track is Summertime from Gershwin's opera Porgy and Bess (remember I Loves You, Porgy?) but here . . Coltrane gives it a very different interpretation.  Just buy the album outright, giolfriend.  It might change your musical life.  It will certainly enrich it.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2011, 05:01 am by jimdgoulding »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2156 on: 24 Jun 2011, 01:48 pm »
I'll be checkin samples tomorrow.  Gracias.  Would right now cept I'm listenin to My Favorite Things (John Coltrane).

Tell you what, Laura, how about accepting my invitation to listen to this album.  The title track is the same song from The Sound of Music written by Rodgers and Hammerstein only taken in 3/4 (waltz) time and it's positively beautiful in any language.  This won't be a challenge for you.  In fact, like millions of people-jazz aficianados or otherwise-I predict you'll love it.  His pianist on the date is a very young McCoy Tyner scarcely out of music school.  His playing is yery in tune with what Coltrane wanted and became a permanent member of Coltrane's quartet for most of the following decade.  It's followed by Everytime We Say Goodbye, a Cole Porter ballad, slow and sentimental and also played lovingly on soprano saxophone which people thought of for years before this release as a Dixieland music instrument.  Not anymore.  But Not For Me is a Gershwin tune that has been recorded dozens of times and for good reason.  It, too, is done beautifully here tho with more jazz originality.  The fourth and last track is Summertime from Gershwin's opera Porgy and Bess (remember I Loves You, Porgy?) but here . . Coltrane gives it a very different interpretation.  Just buy the album outright, giolfriend.  It might change your musical life.  It will certainly enrich it.

Jim,

Thanks for the invitation, but after listening to samples I know I wouldn't be able to make it through one of the songs let alone the entire album. It's just not my cup of tea music-wise. We all have different tastes in music and I have never been able to get into jazz or pure instrumentals. Chicago Transit Authority and early Blood Sweat & Tears are as close as it gets for me.

If you sample The Decemberists, start with The King Is Dead (R.E.M., American roots influence),. My next favorite is The Crane Wife.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2157 on: 24 Jun 2011, 02:32 pm »
Ok, Laura.  The King Is Dead it will be.  Thanks.  BTW, it was the Atlantic release you sampled, right?

orthobiz

« Reply #2158 on: 25 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm »
Ok, Laura.  The King Is Dead it will be.  Thanks.  BTW, it was the Atlantic release you sampled, right?

Ummm
The Hazards of Love is my place to start. True prog updated for this millennium. Folk, rock, kids singing, the works!

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2159 on: 26 Jun 2011, 01:19 am »
Ummm
The Hazards of Love is my place to start. True prog updated for this millennium. Folk, rock, kids singing, the works!

Paul

I like THOL too (saw the tour in Seattle). Also worth sampling is Picaresque.