Xl-s question/suggestion

Toecutter

Xl-s question/suggestion
« on: 30 Nov 2020, 06:56 pm »
I know flat pack kits are available  through other sources,  it would be nice for a kit with just the front baffle , would make it much easier diy build. I know cutting the holes is easy with the right tools. But anyone with just a circular saw and clamps would be able to build the kit if a baffle was available.  The cost would also be less than purchasing a router and bits.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Xl-s question/suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2020, 07:31 pm »
I know flat pack kits are available  through other sources,  it would be nice for a kit with just the front baffle , would make it much easier diy build. I know cutting the holes is easy with the right tools. But anyone with just a circular saw and clamps would be able to build the kit if a baffle was available.  The cost would also be less than purchasing a router and bits.

I'll bite. I'm looking at this from the standpoint of someone who produces a complete flat pack and could conceivably make what you're after. Perhaps I'm a little jaded, but I look through the lens of a sustainable business.  My question to you would be what you think such a thing should cost in order to fit into your  parameters? Let's discuss.

Toecutter

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2020, 07:57 pm »
Me personally  I have the tools already. I was just thinking for people without the skills . Its easy to make a box home depot will even rip the mdf into strips for for someone. As for a price, idk 50 dollars ? . What does a complete flat pack cost?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2020, 08:49 pm »
From me, a complete flat pack is $140. It's not lucrative at that, but does cover my costs of equipment, space and time, so it is sustainable, but would certainly not come close to supporting a personal income producing business by itself.   

My perspective is that, for less than 3 times what you'd be willing to pay for a baffle, one could get something that includes all pieces. You're likely going to need a router in any case, because there are round holes to be cut in the backs, as well. I know baffles are "included" with some other kits, but, in all honesty, the ones I've seen are crude and I wouldn't pay $50 for them nor would I want to offer such.

To make it work from a business perspective,  hundreds upon hundreds  would have to be sold and I just don't see that much demand. I don't know what percentage of X-LS builders I might be supplying, but in a years' time I'm around 100 kits. That might seem like some real coin until you factor in my costs to get there, meaning overhead. Building, electricity, equipment, tooling etc. There's a reason why entrepreneurs aren't flocking to the space. The audience is just to small.

I think there's a place in the world for an Ikea-like flat pack that, once assembled, is ready for crossover and drivers. I've pondered how that might be done, but again, the market is small. DIY audio is a small sliver of a small market.

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2020, 09:40 pm »
A full flatpack rabbeted box kits offer a simple way for anybody with a just set of clamps to successfully build a nice set of speakers.
Personally I would be hard pressed to build any airtight perfectly square box based solely on circular saw cut MDF but joints.

It’s all about the flatpack's foolproof joinery.

Anybody that has the required tools to create the proper joinery probably has a router.
Shawn

( PS. Don't trust the MDF or cuts from Home Despot )
Shawn

Toecutter

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2020, 10:42 pm »
From me, a complete flat pack is $140. It's not lucrative at that, but does cover my costs of equipment, space and time, so it is sustainable, but would certainly not come close to supporting a personal income producing business by itself.   

My perspective is that, for less than 3 times what you'd be willing to pay for a baffle, one could get something that includes all pieces. You're likely going to need a router in any case, because there are round holes to be cut in the backs, as well. I know baffles are "included" with some other kits, but, in all honesty, the ones I've seen are crude and I wouldn't pay $50 for them nor would I want to offer such.

To make it work from a business perspective,  hundreds upon hundreds  would have to be sold and I just don't see that much demand. I don't know what percentage of X-LS builders I might be supplying, but in a years' time I'm around 100 kits. That might seem like some real coin until you factor in my costs to get there, meaning overhead. Building, electricity, equipment, tooling etc. There's a reason why entrepreneurs aren't flocking to the space. The audience is just to small.

I think there's a place in the world for an Ikea-like flat pack that, once assembled, is ready for crossover and drivers. I've pondered how that might be done, but again, the market is small. DIY audio is a small sliver of a small market.

Shoot 140 for a flat pack i may be calling you if I ever decide to build a set.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2020, 10:56 pm »
Shoot 140 for a flat pack i may be calling you if I ever decide to build a set.

DO IT.
You won't be disappointed! :P

Peer pressure aside, even the base kit & flat pack is a truely killer speaker. It will also only get better, the better the quality of your source/gear.