X-Statik Build Questions

Jcowling

X-Statik Build Questions
« on: 30 Sep 2020, 08:10 pm »
I am in the middle of building the X-Statik.  I am using birch plywood.  I plan on making the front and bottom removable to allow upgrades.  I have a few questions for the group.
Should I line the lower box with no-rez? 
What about stuffing? 
Should the lower box be sealed (air tight)?

Thanks.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: X-Statik Build Questions
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2020, 08:45 pm »
Yes

Yes

and Yes. :thumb:

Theronbo

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2020, 10:24 pm »
I used 3/4” MDF, but made the facing plate of 1x12x4’ oak.

I made the oak removable. Used M8  40mm bolts with “ M8x 20MM Furniture Insert Nut Furniture Screw” embedded in the cabinet.
10 per plate. Window stripping at the seal.

I used fiberglass insulation. Stuffed but not compressed. (Don’t know if that’s good or bad).

I was kinda building on the cheap... & not a cabinet maker & not an audiophile.
I did have to replace Apple Music with Tidal after listening to these for a few days.

Jcowling

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2020, 05:31 pm »
Thanks Corndog and Theronbo for the advice.  I ordered some norez and have some stuffing left over from another build.  I like the idea of using bolts and inserts with weather stripping for the front.

Ron K

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2020, 04:23 pm »
Im also in the middle of building the X Static. Im using MDF. I have decided ( for the moment) not to build removable fronts of bottoms, but rather to divide the crossovers into smaller units and apply them to the sidewalls for access by removing a driver. I will be using veneer for the front baffles and black pint for the boxes.

Theronbo

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2020, 07:36 pm »
That’s likely a smarter solution.

I bought the kit when the crossover was prebuilt. It’s frik’n huge. & heavy.

The speakers sound so phenomenal...
but I have no experience to compare with.
I thought my JBL 530s were pretty nice speakers... no comparison, not in the same class.

Honestly, I built these cause I was just curious what ‘audiophile quality’ speakers would sound like. Didn’t really expect a huge difference. The kit was fairly cheap & the materials almost nothing. The whole Time I was working on them... as it seemed to take more & more effort to build them... I’d shake my head wondering if it was worth it.

I expiremented a lot with various cutting techniques, how to operate a router, even built a router table. Built my own router template for cutting circles... but the process was satisfying.

But, the final product is just outstanding.

Ron K

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2020, 11:21 am »
similar experience. I am a novice builder ( recently retired with lots of time) . Lots to learn including router use, table saw use, etc. The amount of work required seems to grow each day. I did build the Encores and was very surprised by the quality of sound. I have been using an "entry level" system for years with Vandersteen speakers with an Adcom GFA555 amp and although the Encores were outclassed, I still enjoyed very much listening to them. I miss them now that Ive gifted them to one of my sons.
I felt the removable parts added complexity to the build and additional " failure modes ".
Im hoping to have mine finished before cold weather sets in here in the Northeast as my shop is in the garage.

Usalty2

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2020, 07:11 am »
hey guys,
Im thinking on getting a pair of x-statik speakers, Is there a build instructions?

hawkeyejw

« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2020, 02:00 pm »
hey guys,
Im thinking on getting a pair of x-statik speakers, Is there a build instructions?

They come with cabinet plans. Since you're building them from scratch out of wood, there's many ways you can choose to assemble them so you'll need to read the plans and make your own build plan for how to assemble. A lot of guys (me included) cut square panels and assemble using simple glued butt joints.

I recommend you do a search in this forum and take a look at the different build threads that are on here, they should help you to see the approach different people have taken.

Having built & listened to them, I can say they are well worth the cost and effort, IMO. I found that I enjoyed the build process immensely. Very rewarding to finish the project and be able to listen to something you built that sounds fantastic.

Jcowling

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2020, 05:16 pm »
Build is coming along.  I have all of the wood done and have added the no res and I am almost done staining the parts black.
I routed our some channels in the top section to hide the wires.  I am ready to wire it.  I think I may need more wire than was supplied.  Does anyone know what guage solid core wire was supplied?  I have read that many people use lighter guage wire for tweeters.  Is that recommended?  What about stranded copper wire?
Thanks

hawkeyejw

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2020, 06:09 pm »
If you haven't started cutting it to length, you should have enough. It was close for me as well but I measured out beforehand and was fine. If you're still short, I'm sure Danny can get you squared away.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2020, 07:49 pm »
Just call Danny for more wire.  It’s good wire and inexpensive.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2020, 01:01 pm »
The wire is 16 gauge and it works well for all drivers.

Jcowling

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2020, 05:14 pm »
Finished my X-Statix.  They sound great.  Very transparent and coherent.  Away from the wall about 3 feet and towed in, the sound is very focused but with a large sound stage in my large room.  They don't go as deep or have the midrange detail of my LX521.4s, but that is understandable, given that the X-Statixs are much less complicated and much less expensive.  The X-Statix are not broken in either.
The beauty of the X-Statix is that they are soooo musical.  I get lost in the music as the speakers disappear into the room.  I can't distinguish between the drivers at all.  I just hear the voices and instruments. 
They are also easy to drive and can play loud if you want that.  (I think more efficient speakers tend to sound better at lower volumes and the X-Statix is no exception.)
This is why I love this hobby: to be swept away into the music.
Cudos to Danny for designing a great speaker for a very reasonable price.
If you are on a budget and want some floor standers, I don't know how you could do better.

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2020, 08:21 pm »
How to they compare to the LXminis that you have in the picture?

hawkeyejw

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2020, 05:15 pm »
Nicely done and glad to hear you’re enjoying them!