The Holy Grail of record cleaning...

firewall

• None
The Holy Grail of record cleaning...
« on: 22 Feb 2022, 08:20 am »
I was given around fifty (50) old records from the 50s and 60's and 70's.

Most were titles I was unfamiliar with.

I listened to around ten of them, and found them to be unplayable.

Too much static, pops & clicks, no dynamic range.

I was about to throw them all away...I tried everything...

The $1000+ VPI cleaner, assorted vacuums, brushes and concoctions of water.

I gave up...

Then I decided to try one last thing...I ordered a $220 ultrasound water cleaner from Amazon.

I followed the directions. Ran it for 10 minutes.

It made EVERY SINGLE record sound like I just bought them today!!!

Of course it won't fix physical problems like scratches.

But Oh Em Geeee!

If you're wasting money on anything else...have fun throwing cash away.

This thing is amazing! No pops!

Great dynamic range, great S/N...like new!

Hear me now and believe me later.

bacobits1

Re: The Holy Grail of record cleaning...
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2022, 10:00 am »
Link to exact product?

Phil_S

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2022, 05:46 pm »
All that needs now is a fish tank filter so the crap doesn't build up in the tank. 

RonP

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2022, 06:26 pm »
are you putting any additives into the distilled water?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2022, 06:34 pm »
are you putting any additives into the distilled water?
Most use some alcohol, bit of soap, and maybe a drop of Triton X.... but what I've read is that it's probably unnecessary.  Its the cavitation that removes dirt. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2022, 08:11 pm »
All that needs now is a fish tank filter so the crap doesn't build up in the tank.

I have the similar Happybuy that's shown in the link above. I clean anywhere from 30-39 records in a session and then dump the liquid from the tank. Much easier than figuring out a filtering system. Plus much easier to store a clean, dry Ultrasonic and not worry about the liquid. Cleaning sessions may have a month or two in between, so that's another reason to simply dump and clean the US tank. Refilling the tank is very inexpensive...roughly 5 qts. distilled water, 5 or 6 oz. 91% alcohol and a couple drops of Triton-X. Total cost to refill about $2. I finish the US cleaning process with a rinse and vac on a Nitty Gritty.

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2022, 10:43 pm »
a few years back I picked up a hand held steamer from a Goodwill store. It does a fantastic job on real dirty LP's. I spin them on a 1/4" wooden dowel, and all I use is distilled water. Have thought about trying a little clear Dawn in there, but so fave not. My whole set is roughly $20 total (steam cleaner with stand, tin tray to catch all the junk washed off, and of course the wood rod. Takes about ten minutes to do a record once it's hot.
gary

S Clark

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2022, 10:46 pm »
I have the similar Happybuy that's shown in the link above. I clean anywhere from 30-39 records in a session and then dump the liquid from the tank. Much easier than figuring out a filtering system. Plus much easier to store a clean, dry Ultrasonic and not worry about the liquid. Cleaning sessions may have a month or two in between, so that's another reason to simply dump and clean the US tank. Refilling the tank is very inexpensive...roughly 5 qts. distilled water, 5 or 6 oz. 91% alcohol and a couple drops of Triton-X. Total cost to refill about $2. I finish the US cleaning process with a rinse and vac on a Nitty Gritty.
This is exactly my formula for cleaning (even to what I put in the tank).  Pulling the solution off with a vacuum is that extra step that keeps all the grunge out of the grooves. 
Ultra Sonic cleaning and vacuum dry is what makes good used vinyl approach flawless. 
Brushes, vacuum, steam... done them all.  Ultra sonic is the answer. 

RonP

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2022, 01:17 am »
Most use some alcohol, bit of soap, and maybe a drop of Triton X.... but what I've read is that it's probably unnecessary.  Its the cavitation that removes dirt.

Ok then I misread something somewhere along the line. I thought I read its the add-in ingredient (Triton X, for example) that causes the cavitation.

ok thanks!

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2022, 01:23 am »
I've always heard that alcohol is real bad for vinyl, reacts with it and makes it brittle....? Of course it matters not to me directly bc I no longer spin, but I'd hate to see anybody's tunes messed up.

S Clark

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2022, 03:44 am »
I've always heard that alcohol is real bad for vinyl, reacts with it and makes it brittle....? Of course it matters not to me directly bc I no longer spin, but I'd hate to see anybody's tunes messed up.
Vinyl is pretty slow to react, the concentration of alcohol is low, and the exposure time can be minimal. I only clean for 3 minutes for most used vinyl, and never more than 5.   
And you're not going to ultra sonic clean repeatedly. . I've been cleaning with a DIY ultrasonic cleaner for several years and have never noticed an ill effect. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2022, 09:23 pm »
Yes, only 3 or 4% of the cleaning solution is alcohol. Plus exposure time is limited to 10 minutes or less in my case. Then there's the distilled water rinse and vac to finish the process. Under the above circumstances, the vinyl is in no way compromised. I've seen far more aggressive use of alcohol in other vinyl cleaning formulas.

Zuman

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2022, 11:13 pm »
So, Firewall, is the Vevor unit Craig B linked to indeed the cleaner you bought?
If so, did you experience any of the following (from one of the Amazon reviews)?
There are 3 major problems with this product. 1) The shaft that supports the vinyls was slightly bent when it was packaged. When the motor is turned on and the records held in place, the records wobble side to side and scrape the sides of the tub as the motor is spinning. 2) The cheap plastic washers aren't flat and they were cut by hand, so they put a warp in the records as the end screw is tightened down. 3) If I take a flashlight and look down the drain tube, there is already a thick layer of rust developing.
Thanks.

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2022, 11:36 pm »
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=180565.0

I still have to unpack my Kirmuss Upscale Audio cleaner and start using it.  I’ll also use my VPI 16.5 “glorified” vacuum to dry.