Isoacoustics zaZen isolation platform?

I.Greyhound Fan

Isoacoustics zaZen isolation platform?
« on: 13 Nov 2021, 06:06 pm »
Does anyone use the Isoacoustics zaZen isolation platform for their TT?

I just replaced the old Oak wood floors in my house with Hickory.  Since then, I can't really use  my TT due to vibrations and rumble.
I can sit on my sofa which is about 12' away from the TT and tap on my thigh and hear it through the TT.  I did not have this problem with the older oak floors.  We even put a sound dampening underlayment under the new floors.  The TT sits on a 6 tier metal rack with glass shelf's on rubber gromets and there is about 215 pound of gear on it.

Hickory is much harder and denser than oak which I suspect is part of the problem but the oak floor probably became a little loose over the years which helped dampen vibrations.

I emailed Isoacoustics and they recommended the zaZen.  Is anyone using this platform?  If so, how well does it work?  My vertical space is limited on the TT shelf so I needed something less than 2".  I would like to keep the price under $250.

My TT is a vintage 1970's Thorens TD-145 and I built a custom plinth out of Cocobolo which is one of the densest woods  in the world.  I also made a bottom plate from Baltic Birch and added sorbothane feet.  The inside is lined with GT mat. It uses a spring suspension.

Using a wall shelf is out of the question.

Thanks!

ric

Re: Isoacoustics zaZen isolation platform?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2021, 03:06 pm »
I have not used the Zazen, BUT, I use IsoAcoustics orea's under EVERYTHING! This means I have three under my (SpaceDeck) turntable and three under the TT motor. In both instances there was a noticeable difference in sound quality. BUT! If you are getting vibration to that extent through your floor, if possible it would be good to support the floor, cutting down on the span between floor joists, unless there is a floor below you.
   Another thing you might want to try is getting rid of your metal rack with glass shelves, not good for center image or vibration control IMO.
Good luck!

dpatters

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2021, 03:25 pm »
I use a maple platform on IsoAcoustics pucks. I have suspended hardwood floors.

Don P.

dpatters

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2021, 03:58 pm »
Sorry. I missed the 2” vertical limitation.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2021, 07:23 pm »
I am going to buy the zaZen.  I read a review from Forbes magazine of all places.  In the review they tapped on the table that the TT and zaZen were sitting on and there was  no transmission of sound.  I will probably wait until next week to buy it and see if it goes on sale.  I will report back then.

JDUBS

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2021, 01:51 am »
Sorry to throw in another option, but definitely check out this:

http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation-platform/

I've tried a bunch of isolation solutions and it has been the best I've found.

-Jim

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2021, 02:00 am »
Sorry to throw in another option, but definitely check out this:

http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation-platform/

I've tried a bunch of isolation solutions and it has been the best I've found.

-Jim

Thanks, for the tip.  If the isoacoustics does not work out I will consider it or just the pods.

I think that the zaZen should work.  If not I will put sorbothane pucks under the feet of my stand and strips of sorbothane on the parts of the glass shelf that sits on rubber grommets for additional damping (which I may do anyway since my preamp has 8 tubes and sits on the same rack). The review in Forbes magazine seemed pretty convincing that the zaZen will solve my problem.