Pondering getting into Vinyl

twitch54

Re: Pondering getting into Vinyl
« Reply #60 on: 23 Nov 2021, 08:54 pm »
You're spot on with this. I have both vinyl and digital as well, and there are pros and cons to each. I really enjoy records, but due to the expense and storage space needed, I'll only pick up albums on vinyl if it's remastered specifically for vinyl / worth the upgrade from CD. And I really enjoy the experience of listening to records. But I also love CDs - unless it's a rare edition or pressing, they're dirt cheap to buy used, much more resilient to scratches, and can be ripped and put on a media server.

X2    :thumb:

Craig B

« Reply #61 on: 23 Nov 2021, 09:28 pm »
The thing that fascinates me about vinyl as a playback medium is the sheer number of user-affected (if not precisely user-defined) variables that can have a profound effect on the reproduction. In digital, the user's "manipulation" of the signal is limited primarily to the selection of transport and DAC (and cables). With analog there's the turntable selection, tonearm selection, cartridge selection, phono preamp selection, cable selection, even cleaning methods. And then there's the setup of all that stuff - from cartridge loading to arm/cartridge geometry and compliance combinations, VTA, tracking force, anti-skate. All those stops along the way where the user can alter the playback quality, intentionally or not. It's a tinkerer's dream, and about as far from an open-the-box-and-play kind of experience imaginable, despite the fact that many of us of a certain age think of it as just the opposite (those who grew up with LP playback as second nature and who are befuddled by sampling rates, data transfer, network settings, clocks and jitter).

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #62 on: 23 Nov 2021, 09:36 pm »
I've also been pondering vinyl for several years, and I finally bit the bullet and have quite a few things on order.  My VAC preamps got me interested, as everyone seems to love Kevin Hayes' phono stages.  Unfortunately, the upgrade is quite expensive especially for my Master preamp ($12K).  Therefore I decided on a nice tube phono pre in the Luxman EQ-500, but the wait has been atrocious.  My dealer friend tells me that he received my turntable and phono cable, so I'm just waiting for the cartridge and phono pre to get to him.  It should be an interesting endeavor, as I like to learn and tinker with things.  Maybe someday I'll add Kevin's phono stage if I really get into it.  Does anyone use the Smartractor?

toocool4

« Reply #63 on: 23 Nov 2021, 11:02 pm »
Does anyone use the Smartractor?

I don’t use the Acoustical Systems SMARTractor, I use the Dr. Feickert Protractor.
I do like Acoustical Systems products, they are very well made.
I do use the Acoustical Systems Arché headshell though, a most superb headshell and a must for any tonearm with detachable headshell.  :thumb: