Bicycling Off-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #600 on: 12 Oct 2010, 05:39 pm »
I agree with Phil about the price of audio vs bike gears. However both have 200% markup. LOL!

baumer

« Reply #601 on: 12 Oct 2010, 05:53 pm »
I built up a 29'er this year so I had to get new wheels also. I still can't believe the wheels cost more than my frame! Of course the carbon fork set me back a little as well.  :lol:

You guys are right though. Every time I bring something new into the house, whether bike or audio related, my wife gives me the same old, "how much did that cost?!!!".  :nono:

JoshK

« Reply #602 on: 13 Oct 2010, 02:15 pm »
Mild tangent::

I now need some gear for cooler/colder weather to keep riding.  What do you guys wear for cooler weather that you really like.  I really don't know much about how many layers, etc, so any insight is helpful.

Levi

« Reply #603 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:02 pm »
Check out Gore Bike Wear and Wool socks for winter.

PhilNYC

« Reply #604 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:13 pm »
I like Craft stuff for baselayers.  Louis Garneau makes a great 3-in-1 full-finger glove for varying degrees of coldness, as well as booties to cover your shoes.  When it gets really cold, using a ski balaclava is a good idea...otherwise, a simple skullcap or headband to cover your ears works wonders...

baumer

« Reply #605 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:19 pm »
I live in Michigan so I have clothes for anything from 100 degree heat to sub-zero temps. And that's just for one days worth of riding!  :lol:

In the fall I just add a long sleeve jersey for as long as I can. As the temps drop I'll go to tights instead of my bib shorts, a short sleeve base layer with a long sleeve light jersey, and maybe a light windbreaker jacket. I use a hydration pak so I can always take stuff off if I get too warm and stuff it in the pak.

For really extreme weather, 30 degrees and below, I wear thermal tights, long sleeve base layer, long sleeve heavy jersey, and my down insulated waterproof/windproof shell. I'll also wear some kind of wool cap under my helmet and wool socks (that I always wear no matter the temp.).

For me, the areas that need the most protection are the hands and feet. Look at getting some kind of waterproof, insulated booties. I usually wear down insulated, windproof gloves/mittens as well.

There are so many companies that make bike appropriate gear these days, but I tend to gravitate towards Pearl Izumi. They hit many different price points and have quality gear that lasts for a long time.

bunnyma357

« Reply #606 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:27 pm »
Mild tangent::

I now need some gear for cooler/colder weather to keep riding.  What do you guys wear for cooler weather that you really like.  I really don't know much about how many layers, etc, so any insight is helpful.

I used to commute year round, even in snow - and here's the gear I liked.

I really like the PolarTec Tights, Pants, Tops and Jackets from Col d'Lizard. I also like the really cheap fleece pants from Performance Bike. I haven't bought stuff in a while, but when I did I think they had fairly regular sales on this stuff.

http://www.coldlizard.com/

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes//Product_10052_10551_1008462_-1___

I also really like the DeFeet Blaze wool socks, and their wool Arm & leg warmers are great for spring & fall transition weather.

http://www.defeet.com/product.php?id=133

http://www.defeet.com/prodlist.php?lt=w

For feet Lake Winter MXZ302's are nice but expensive.

http://www.lakecycling.com/mountain-winter-c-1_4_11.html

Jim C

Levi

« Reply #607 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:21 pm »
I ride whole year round.  It can be a major investment but worth it.   :thumb:

Jacket:  Endura Stealth Jacket
Shoes:  Sidi Diablo Gore-Tex
Socks:  Endura Merino wool
Gloves:  Endura Deluge
Pants: Craft AR winter tights
Mask: Gore Bike Wear
Base Layer:  2XU
Eye wear: Oakley half jacket with clear lens
Helmet: Giro Athlon

Levi

« Reply #608 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:30 pm »
It was so cold last year that anything that is exposed turns into ice.  Yes water bottles and hydration pack has to be insulated.  :lol: :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #609 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:39 pm »
Cool.  What do you wear when it is like 40-60º though?  Too cool for my summer jerseys, but too warm for a winter jacket. 

Levi

« Reply #610 on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:05 pm »
It is best to start little cold, eventually you will heat up. 

If I will go out today, I will be wearing SS Jersey, packable wind breaker and cycling shorts.  Last Sunday, which is a little cooler 40-50 F in the morning riding road, I was wearing cycling shorts, SS Jersey and Cervelo Winter Jacket made by Castelli.  I also have a Gore Alp X jacket that turns into a Jersey which I wear by itself. 

Spring weather really calls for long sleeve jersey.  They vary in thickness.

What works for me may not work for you.  It is a trial and error sometimes.  My road gear are different than MTB because it is less windy in the woods.

One more thing to think about, the more expensive the clothes e.g. Assos, Castelli, Capo, Rapha, Pearl Izumi, Endura etc the nicer the fabric and more comfortable they are wearing all day. 

Cool.  What do you wear when it is like 40-60º though?  Too cool for my summer jerseys, but too warm for a winter jacket. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #611 on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:43 pm »

For mtb, I think it's less critical what you wear compared to road biking...you don't have to worry as much about aerodynamics, wind-chill and such.  Just make sure it's tight enough not to get caught on tree branches et al, as well as base-layers and jerseys/tights that keep sweat away from you.  And of course, that it is warm enough, accounting for when you heat up as Levi points out.  If you're not into the name-branded stuff, you can get perfectly good stuff from the house-brand stuff from Performancebike.com or Nashbar.com....

brj

« Reply #612 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:11 am »
My brother and I did 14 miles today with temps starting at 54 deg and ending at 64.  The sun was out, and at altitude it can still feel pretty intense even when the air temp is low, so given that, I had on my usual bike shorts and just a standard long sleeve "heat gear" Under Armour base layer and short sleeve jersey.  (I tend to wear long sleeve wicking layers year round, as it saves me from having to deal with sun block.) That said, on the long downhill, a light weight wind shirt of some type would have been welcome.

I've ridden down into the 30s with nothing more than a light weight microfleece over that same "heat gear" layer.  Of course, the plan is not to stop and risk getting cold.  I do carry another fleece and a shell in my Camelback in case this happens, however.

PhilNYC

« Reply #613 on: 17 Oct 2010, 03:53 am »
A couple more pics...

Levi

« Reply #614 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:17 pm »
Last Sunday, we did a fun ride in Long Island called "Triple Crown".  It is a non-organized gathering of MTBers to ride 3 bike trails in one day.  The ride was a great success that over 65+ MTBers showed up.  The pace on this ride was intense. 

My Garmin data showed over 58 Miles of combined off-road and some road riding to get to between trails.  Having survived this ride, I think I am ready for the upcoming 6hr MTB race.   :thumb:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/53445533

Triple Crown 2010 Group picture

JoshK

« Reply #615 on: 20 Oct 2010, 08:01 pm »
That is one heck of a long off-road trek.  How much vertical?   I'd be dropped.

Levi

« Reply #616 on: 20 Oct 2010, 09:46 pm »
No worries Josh.  There is a place were the group can converge and waited whoever is behind.  Not much elevation gain only 315ft but the pace is intense @10mph minimum off road.

Levi

Re: Bicycling Off-Road - Autumn ride
« Reply #617 on: 27 Oct 2010, 03:14 pm »
Yesterday 10/26 was truly a nice day to ride bikes.  It was dry and sunny warm.  Me and my friend Lia decided to ride our MTBs from our home to Cunningham Park trails.  We met at Flushing Meadows Park in Corona Queens and made our way to Cunningham Park.  In the park, we did two laps of singletrack.  On our way back from the Park, we stopped at EmpanadasCafe.com in Corona and ate freshly cooked empanadas.  I never had empanadas so fresh.  I will be back and eat more great Empanadas that's for sure. 

I might add that autumn is here.  Truly a great day to ride a bike!

My Garmin data

My Merlin Bike

The Globe

Flushing Meadows Park

Cunningham Park trail head

Lia at the bridge in Cunningham Park

Fresh Empanadas!  Corn flour, Whole grain and white flour empanadas...so many choices!   :thumb:

Cheers!   :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #618 on: 31 Oct 2010, 07:24 pm »
Rocky Point as we all know closes 11/1 to 4/1 for hunting season here in Long Island, NY.  It was a great pleasure to ride RP one more time.  Great friends, great scenery and great food.  This is like NYAudiorave on Bicycles.  LOL!   :thumb:

Group picture

Profile shot!  LOL!

Single File only

On the bikes

That's Roy posing.

Sweet shrimp cocktail!

Home made salsa (hot!)

Parked bikes

Levi

Movie: Race Across The Sky 2010
« Reply #619 on: 4 Nov 2010, 12:50 pm »
Movie:  Race Across The Sky 2010