SoundScape Midrange Chamber Backs

Austin08

Re: SoundScape Midrange Chamber Backs
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2013, 12:52 am »
I much prefer backs to be open.  When closed they bring the soundstage really up and into my face.  When open I get a deeper stage and more relaxed.  I feel like the sound is much more sophisticated when open and not like an average box speaker.  My preference.

I felt the same way too.

JonnyFive

« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2013, 01:40 pm »
Jonny- I haven't tried the stuffing AND the solid back, but I've got to think with the cabinets as inert as they are that it would be very minor, if any difference.

If I had some precision instrumentation, I'd try it out as an interesting experiment.   

** that got my curiosity up, so I tried a very rudimentary test by ear, and had one channel with the batting and one without and the solid backs.  I could not detect any difference betweent the two.  The open back, however, does make a very noticeable difference with and without the batting.

Benguin, thanks for the input.  I can't wait to try it with both backs.

Jon

Hydro

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jul 2016, 11:07 pm »
Wanted to bring this topic up so new SS10 and SS12 members will be aware of the partial opening technique. I have two pairs of SS10's and prefer the quarter version in my dedicated room in my recording studio. At home, with a much larger room I prefer to open the back a little at the top with some thin magnets. The partial opening of the back gives me the best of both worlds, precise imaging and ambience.

fsimms

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jul 2016, 02:20 pm »
Wanted to bring this topic up so new SS10 and SS12 members will be aware of the partial opening technique. I have two pairs of SS10's and prefer the quarter version in my dedicated room in my recording studio. At home, with a much larger room I prefer to open the back a little at the top with some thin magnets. The partial opening of the back gives me the best of both worlds, precise imaging and ambience.

It took awhile, but I finally got some feedback from somebody who tried it.  :lol:

I am glad you like it.   :thumb:

Amazing the flexibility of the SS line.

Bob

Hydro

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jul 2016, 06:57 pm »
It's like buying three sets of really good speakers for the price of one and the bass integrates with the sound much better than using a sub.