I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

Wind Chaser

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #380 on: 8 Aug 2019, 03:41 pm »
Wow, diesel powered EV charging station.  That sure looks very inefficient.

It must be way out in the boonies if there is no electrical service nearby to set up a normal charging station.

That image is nothing but a caricature with an agenda made obvious by the attending asinine comment.  :thumbdown:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #381 on: 8 Aug 2019, 05:41 pm »
Wow, diesel powered EV charging station.  That sure looks very inefficient.

It is not a Tesla station, and I see a BMW parked at it.

It must be way out in the boonies if there is no electrical service nearby to set up a normal charging station.

Frank
It's like your charging station for your Tesla which burns NG before the power hits the Tesla.   :duh:

sts9fan

« Reply #382 on: 8 Aug 2019, 06:23 pm »
It's like your charging station for your Tesla which burns NG before the power hits the Tesla.   :duh:

Same old tired argument.  Power plants are vastly more efficient at making power then cars powered by ICE.  You work in the automobile industry right?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #383 on: 8 Aug 2019, 06:50 pm »
Same old tired argument.  Power plants are vastly more efficient at making power then cars powered by ICE.  You work in the automobile industry right?
Nope

Wind Chaser

« Reply #384 on: 8 Aug 2019, 08:45 pm »
Power plants are vastly more efficient at making power then cars powered by ICE.

Locomotives being a prime example. You would think that’s common knowledge but...

charmerci

« Reply #385 on: 8 Aug 2019, 09:30 pm »
Just saw this in another thread:

HEY GUYS! Stop and go here -

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164569.msg1749886#msg1749886

This is Frank's Tesla 3 thread, let's not get it quarantined again. I created the above thread for that very purpose!  :lol:

avahifi

« Reply #386 on: 9 Aug 2019, 06:46 pm »
Well, I am going to find out if the value of the Tesla I bought last month is "real" the last week of August. I will be driving Bluebot, my rear wheel drive long range (325 mile) Model 3 Tesla.

I have a 3600 mile solo road trip planned from Minnesota to Phoenix, Arizona to visit my younger sister.

First leg from Woodbury, MN to Rapid City, SD (four Supercharger stops for about 1 hour total along the way).

Next leg from Rapid City to Trinadad, Co with four more Supercharger stops.

Last leg from Trinidad to Phoenix, not researched much yet, but it is nearly all Interstate freeway.

I am avoiding the high mountain passes until the way home and I have more experience as to just how much those long uphill climbs affects useable range. Of course you put range back in from regenerative braking on the way back down hill.

Mary will be here to keep the business open and Berkeley the cat well fed.

I will let you all know how the trip is going along the way.

Frank

artur9

« Reply #387 on: 9 Aug 2019, 08:42 pm »
Much to my surprise I've found a whole set of Tesla chargers about 3mi from my house.

Frank, if you're ever in Allentown you'll be able to charge up no problem.

audioengr

« Reply #388 on: 9 Aug 2019, 11:06 pm »

HEY GUYS! Stop and go here -

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164569.msg1749886#msg1749886

This is Frank's Tesla 3 thread, let's not get it quarantined again. I created the above thread for that very purpose!  :lol:

Now there is another definition for insanity.... :scratch:

WGH

« Reply #389 on: 12 Aug 2019, 12:22 am »
Since the Tesla is essentially a computer on wheels, why not hack it?

This Mod Turns a Tesla Into a Mobile 'Surveillance Station'
https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-surveillance-detection-scout

"At the Defcon hacker conference today (8/09/2019), security researcher Truman Kain debuted what he calls the Surveillance Detection Scout. The DIY computer fits into the middle console of a Tesla Model S or Model 3, plugs into its dashboard USB port, and turns the car's built-in cameras—the same dash and rearview cameras providing a 360-degree view used for Tesla's Autopilot and Sentry features—into a system that spots, tracks, and stores license plates and faces over time."

avahifi

« Reply #390 on: 12 Aug 2019, 02:49 pm »
This is not really hacking the Tesla Model 3.  It is just taking the normal output from USB port that provides real world access to the build in cameras used for security purposes and using this normal data stream for other purposes.

The internal Tesla hardware and software are considered to be pretty safe.

The Tesla users blog already has posted several video clips showing people hitting parked Teslas or "keying" them and the video evidence has identified them.  One of the most interesting was a video of the drunk mayor of a small town backing into a parked Tesla, getting out of his car, looking the damage he had caused, and then driving off.

It is called sentry mode.  You can turn it on while the car is parked.  It can be on all the time while you drive if you desire and have an adequately large storage device. "Incidents" can be saved.  In serious cases, Tesla can provide the pertinent saved information too.

Frank

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #391 on: 12 Aug 2019, 06:01 pm »
Frank,
My Model 3 with Autopilot is on order. Did you get Full Self Driving option? The price of FSD will be going up by $1,000 August 16th but I can add on Full Self Driving now for $6,000, but after August 16th it will be a $7,000 add on.

Other than the FSD ability to recognize and stop for traffic lights and stop signs (and why isn’t that a standard feature of Autopilot?) I’m not seeing the advantages of FSD. I can park my own car thank you. Did you get FSD and if so why?

Best,
Lester

srb

« Reply #392 on: 12 Aug 2019, 06:07 pm »
The price of FSD will be going up by $1,000 August 16th but I can add on Full Self Driving now for $6,000, but after August 16th it will be a $7,000 add on.

Are any hardware upgrades, sensors etc. required or is everything needed already installed and the $6-7K upgrade a software-only upgrade?

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #393 on: 12 Aug 2019, 08:11 pm »
Good question ... I believe it’s both a software upgrade and a new cpu.

avahifi

« Reply #394 on: 12 Aug 2019, 09:54 pm »
All self drive hardware, including the 3rd series computer is built into any Model 3 made  after April, 2019.

Earlier cars will get the newest computer upgrade (they have all other hardware already) when they add full self driving software.

I did not order the full self driving option as it is not ready for prime time yet.  I will wait until it released and fully debugged. Not all functions are available now and they all require driver attention.

Note that detecting stop signs and signal lights is a very tricky problem to solve as there are so many special cases.

Traffic aware speed control and auto steering is standard now.

Frank

Brad

« Reply #395 on: 12 Aug 2019, 10:31 pm »
Frank, just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experiences with the Model 3!

I'm not quite there on a battery-electric as my sole vehicle, but I'm getting closer.  But it could easily be one of two cars in our household.

artur9

« Reply #396 on: 13 Aug 2019, 02:05 pm »
Apparently partnering with Tesla for setting up chargers is a thing.

Frank, if you're ever in the area, Wawa is the best.  Don't let those Scheetz people tell you otherwise!
https://electrek.co/2019/08/08/tesla-convenience-store-chain-wawa-expanding-supercharger-stations/

twitch54

« Reply #397 on: 13 Aug 2019, 06:25 pm »
Apparently partnering with Tesla for setting up chargers is a thing.

Frank, if you're ever in the area, Wawa is the best.  Don't let those Scheetz people tell you otherwise!
https://electrek.co/2019/08/08/tesla-convenience-store-chain-wawa-expanding-supercharger-stations/

Interesting, Wawa, being a Pa based company I don't see any of their 'Supercharging stations' located in Pa ?

Regardless, I prefer Sheetz 'Dark Sumatra' over anything Wawa !

trianglezerius

« Reply #398 on: 15 Aug 2019, 09:27 pm »
Something to watch and consider prior to buying one at this time? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ups3bwFEcE8

audioengr

« Reply #399 on: 15 Aug 2019, 10:57 pm »
Just get a used or demo Model S.  Problem solved.  No paint issues, no rusting possible.