Suggested RM40 option

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Suggested RM40 option
« on: 26 Nov 2003, 07:24 pm »
I long ago decided it would be an upgrade for the RM40 to have dual Megawoofer 10s (with staggerred resonances, ala FF1/ST3) vs. only one MW.  Brian said it's better with the standard 10s greater high range extension.  If that was correct, would not the RM2 sound thin between its 12MW & mids?  The fact the RM2 blends well in that range supports my claim the RM40 would improve with dual MWs.  I dislike the upper range coming from the standard 10, especially when it's mounted up top (I swapped mine up/down).  If there is any truth to the old alleged lack of dynamics between the 10s & mids, its not a function of weakness in that range, but rather the sound coming from the cones interfering with the much faster & more transparent mids.  This is one area where the old FF3 SRE ferrites beat the 40s, a function of Bs state-of- the-analog-art 4th order active LP XO sharply filtering the 10s.    

B you could proudly offer dual MWs as another extra cost option, +$140pr MSRP.  Don't be ashamed.  One of if not the world's best small cars, the BMW 3 series, starts at $27k, & keeps going to the $70k M3 convertible w/SMG, all the same exact chassis & body (Dinan & others have plenty of ways to spend more aftermarket).  Extra cost options are a good thing, as Martha says.  Think of all the trade-ups waiting out there.  I'm first in line after you try it.

Horsehead

Suggested RM40 option
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2003, 04:17 pm »
As soon as I do the FST upgrade and have to take some drivers out, I'll be using the 10" MWs from my second pair of RM40s and put 4 MWs in my main pair of RM40s to see if Jim is on to something here.  Jim- what about the "staggered resonances you mention"?  My 4 MWs would all be the same.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Suggested RM40 option
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2003, 07:51 pm »
Horse
On the SRE (& FF1 I believe) Brian has woofers with the same motor assemblies.  He placed very minute different mass (putty) amounts around the lowermost center of the cones immediately outside that huge phalic symbol he affectionately calls the "phase plug".  This makes for slightly different resonance points for the woofers.  How much difference it might make on the two RM40 MWs I don't know.  Brian hates me for bringing this stuff up...If your initial reaction is not terribly bad, you can start with minor PR adjustments.  If you start thinking this is worth it, & you want to supertweek it, add a tiny bit of mass to the upper woofer at the lower/innermost cicular edge of the cone, near the plug.  

Take 2 aspirins, talk to the school nurse, report back to class...