Is anybody using tubes with their RM 40's?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 15 Nov 2003, 04:12 pm »
I am contemplating getting the RM 40's (first I need to find a local person in the NYC area so I can hear them)...

Is anybody using tubes to runn them?  

If so, are you using tubes full range or bi-amping?

I currently have Kora Cosmos Reference mono blocs which are 100 watt class triode.  Not sure if these will work with the RM 40's in a full range config.

Also, how low does the impedance on the 40's go?  I don't think these amps are going to like things much below 4 ohms.

Thanks,

George

ekovalsky

« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2003, 04:56 pm »
Nice setup there!

I use solid state but your tube amps are excellent and should work well.  I don't think impedance of the 40's drops significantly below for 4 ohms.  You could use the Koras full range, but if you have a way to match levels they would best be used for the mid/treble with a solid state brute on the bottom end.

You have a dealer in NYC.  I know he has the RM/x and may have 40's too.  Even if he has sold the 40's there should be enough of a family resemblence for you to make a decision.  

ROOP Audio Labs LLC
150 Spring St. Floor 4
New York, NY 10012
(vists are by appointment only, please)

telephone
vox: 212.925.9448 Monday-Saturday 8a-6p
fax: 212.925.1513  
email
technical support: support@roopaudiolabs.com
general knowledge: inquiry@roopaudiolabs.com

warnerwh

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2003, 10:02 pm »
I believe the minimum impedance of the 40's is 3.5 or 3.6 ohms.  You can ask Brian what he thinks if you're still nervous.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2003, 01:48 am »
Hey George,

I beleive Kevin (in FLA I think) is using the Koras (although they might be the larger ones) and he swears by them.

I wouldn't doubt but he'll see this thread and jump in.

I think his screen name is Meilekev or something like that.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2003, 01:51 am »
Mine are the large ones...

:D

meilankev

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2003, 05:33 am »
Hello George.

What John said is true (thanks for the intro, John).  I own KORA Cosmos monoblocks (without the reference upgrade), and I have RM40s (w/ TRT cap upgrade).  I feel they match very well together - certainly in a smallish listening room like mine (16'W x 15'D x 8'H - completely enclosed).

The RM40s replaced Thiel CS-3.5 speakers in my main system, and betters them (in my system) in almost every possible way.  I still own the Thiels (relegated to my wife's DVD/Karaoke system), as I think they can be a wonderful speaker.

AS to trying amps in my system, I haven't kept my head in the sand - I have had friends bring over 3 different SS amps to try in my system, but the KORAs were just better.  Those amps were :
> Audire Audio Parlando (the best of the bunch)
> Classe' Audio CA-301
> McIntosh 225W amp (I don't recall the model)

I even tried biamping with the McIntosh amp - I spent 2 days tweaking the sound to wring the best out of the KORA/McIntosh combo.  But the McIntosh owner and myself both felt the RM40s sounded best (in my system) with no SS equipment in the path.  Note that I use a KORA Eclipse as my preamp.

I've written my impressions of my system many times, so I don't want to bore the other readers by repeating myself yet again.  Feel free to e-mail me, and I can go into detail about how I feel the RM40s match with KORA equipment.  And I am not alone - the most recent visitor from the Tampa audiophile club posted (on Home Theater Talk) that my system is simply the best system he has ever heard - at any price.  

Also, if you live in NYCity, there is a VMPS RM40 owner who posts here named JoshK, who used tubes full-range for a time (before switching over to SS full-range).  His experiences could be beneficial to you - he could inform you why he preferred a SS amp.  And of course, he could help balance out my biased viewpoint.  Who know, perhaps you could lug the KORA stuff over to his house for a listen (remembering to adjust all variables on the RM40s away from his current settings for his SS amp).

Let me know how I can help.  Good luck to you.
Kevin

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2003, 07:07 am »
Hi Kev,

Sorry for not getting your screen name correct.  :oops:   I've seen it many times, but never written it.

Glad you saw the thread.  I knew you'd have valuable input :mrgreen:

meilankev

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2003, 11:49 am »
John,

No problem on the screen name - it's not something that would be easy to remember.  Actually the screen name comes from combining my wife's name (Mei-Lan) to mine.  Hence, the impossible-to-spell "meilankev".

Kevin

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2003, 11:49 am »
My local VMPS dealer swears by tubes, but there is no (really NO) support for tubes in our backwards neck of the woods.   :oops:  :roll:  :cry:

So I've never heard them on tubes.

With all the tube interest in SETs the development of high quality, yet reasonably priced 50 - 100 wpc tube amps seems somewhat limited.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2003, 11:51 am »
My local VMPS dealer swears by tubes, but there is no (really NO) support for tubes in our backwards neck of the woods.   :oops:  :roll:  :cry:

So I've never heard them on tubes.

With all the tube interest in SETs the development of high quality, yet reasonably priced 50 - 100 wpc tube amps seems somewhat limited.

audiochef

tubes w/ rm40s
« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2003, 04:05 am »
Tube preamp. Audible Illusions L1  /caps switched off.

I feel this is as dramatic as power amp. I've had ss preamps in the set up , no comparison in open and sweetness.