Phono Stage

1oldguy

Phono Stage
« on: 15 Aug 2010, 08:21 pm »
Wondering what is the general consensus if any as to the benefits of  having the Phono stage included in the BP-26?As opposed to buying the BP1.5?Thoughts,opinions?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Phono Stage
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2010, 08:53 pm »
oldguy,

the benefit of having the phono option inside the 26 is that there are no extra cables to connect the phono section to the preamp. the disadvantage is that you are going to "loose" inputs on the 26. haven't auditioned the 26's internal phono yet but they sound the same as most of the people say.
don't forget that you can place the outboard phono almost anywhere you want to.
and hey...the outboard phono looks sexy! :wink:

al.

1oldguy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2010, 09:47 pm »
I Can't say I'm happy about losing connections if I go for the internal phono stage.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2010, 10:00 pm »
It sounds like you'll lose an input if you get the internal phono stage, but not really...

You'll have to plug the turnatble or external phono stage into something, right?   Do you plan on connecting something else, then switching it whenever you want to use the turntable?

Just some food for thought. 

The internal phono stage sounds great.  I've briefly heard the external phono pre, but not for any length of time.  With an external phono stage, even if the board were the same (which they are), there's less noise and grunge.   The power supply isn't shared, and other circuitry is further away, lessening the possibility of contaminating the signal. 

Keep in mind phono signals are very low, and have to be amplified far more than things like CD players.  If there's a little bit of noise, it's far more evident. 

1oldguy

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2010, 10:08 pm »
I think I prefer the idea of the external  BP1.5 at this stage(Pun Intended).Thanks Guys for helping and Oldguy out. :D

srb

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2010, 10:12 pm »
Do you already own the BP26?  The internal MM phono stage ($550) and the internal MM/MC phono stage ($1,295) are not user installable in the field and are normally added when ordering the BP26 (BP26-P or BP26-MC).

When the BP26-MC is ordered, the front panel Mono/Stereo switch is replaced with a MM Phono/MC Phono switch.  Another consideration might be that the external BP1.5 is $2,750 + extra pair of interconnects.

Steve

1oldguy

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2010, 10:16 pm »
Hi Steve

MY dealer is ready to place the order when I give him the go.So all your help here tonight is great.That 2750 is just for the Phone stage and not the power supply I take it?

srb

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2010, 10:20 pm »
MY dealer is ready to place the order when I give him the go.So all your help here tonight is great.That 2750 is just for the Phone stage and not the power supply I take it?

Yes, that is for the BP1.5 without a power supply.  It can be powered by the MPS-2 outboard supply of the BP26.

Steve

1oldguy

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2010, 10:24 pm »
Well that price puts things in a different light. :duh: :cry:

1oldguy

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2010, 10:26 pm »
Do you already own the BP26?  The internal MM phono stage ($550) and the internal MM/MC phono stage ($1,295) are not user installable in the field and are normally added when ordering the BP26 (BP26-P or BP26-MC).

When the BP26-MC is ordered, the front panel Mono/Stereo switch is replaced with a MM Phono/MC Phono switch.  Another consideration might be that the external BP1.5 is $2,750 + extra pair of interconnects.

Steve

MMMM--- So i would actually loose the Mono/Stereo option on the BP-26?Not digging that.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2010, 10:44 pm »
MMMM--- So i would actually loose the Mono/Stereo option on the BP-26?Not digging that.

Yes, if you get the BP26-MC with the internal MM/MC board you lose the switch.  If you get the BP26-P with internal MM only board, there is no MC to switch between, so the Mono/Stereo switch stays.

Steve

1oldguy

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2010, 10:50 pm »
Thank You once again.My wallet is showing its limits.

1oldguy

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2010, 11:10 pm »
Wondering now if I get the MM version internal version....If I would be giving up much sound quality going with a MM Cartridge?Is this something I should be truly concerned with?

srb

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2010, 11:29 pm »
Since I have been out of vinyl for a number of years, you'll have to get some advice on MM vs MC from others.

I don't know how deep you are jumping into vinyl playback, but perhaps you want to take it a little slower than a full-out assault.  You could get some AudioCircle recommendations for some not-too expensive external phono stages to start out with, and I'm sure there are some acceptable ones in the several hundred dollar range (particularly used).

Then you would have the versatility of being able to use MM or MC and still keep the Mono/Stereo switch on the BP26!  (as you would with the BP1.5)  Then you could upgrade to a better phono stage down the road when the wallet is a little fatter and your experience a little greater.

Or you could get the Vitus Audio MP-201 phono stage with MP-PSU power supply combination for a mere $60,000!

Steve

1oldguy

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2010, 11:45 pm »
It would appear I have a little pondering to do.

1oldguy

« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2010, 01:28 pm »
HI James

Can you tell me please what inputs I would loose if I decide to go  with MM internally installed?

srb

« Reply #16 on: 16 Aug 2010, 02:27 pm »
Can you tell me please what inputs I would loose if I decide to go  with MM internally installed?

The 6th input, AUX.  Look at Page 7 of the BP26 owner's manual.
http://bryston.com/BrystonSite05/09manuals/BP26_MANUAL_20090708.pdf

Steve

BrysTony

« Reply #17 on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:06 pm »
The AUX input becomes a PHONO input -- it is "lost" only in that it is limited to use as a PHONO input and not other inputs.  If you were using an external phono stage it is likely that you would use the AUX input for the phono stage output.  So unless you decide to not have a turntable in your system at some time in the future you have not lost anything.

1oldguy

« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:10 pm »
Thanks Guys

Wondering what input I would use to Connect the External Bryston Dac?Considering I will be using the AUX for Phono.

BrysTony

« Reply #19 on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:13 pm »
Balanced output of the BDA-1 to Balanced input of the BP-26. (XLR cable)