BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready

RonCH

Re: BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jun 2016, 11:53 am »
Roon requires you to run there server software on a computer, one of average to high end spec or a high end nas.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-are-the-minimum-system-hardware-requirements/103

Cheers,
Chris

Chris,

that's the hardware requirement for Roon ( with the GUI ).  If you're using Roon Server you'll get away with a lot less than that.  I run Roon Server on a four year old Synology NAS, and it runs fine.   

regards

Ron

Marius

« Reply #21 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:18 pm »
Chris,

that's the hardware requirement for Roon ( with the GUI ).  If you're using Roon Server you'll get away with a lot less than that.  I run Roon Server on a four year old Synology NAS, and it runs fine.   

regards

Ron

Check, and for anyone in need how to proceed in that topology visit Christopher Riekes excellent work  http://blog.rieke.tv/roon-server-on-nas/
Marius

Marius

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:20 pm »
Hi Chris,

Does the Roon Mode disable the Tidal Application ? My page won't load anymore. Too bad, cause i disabled Tidal in Roon, to not be so abundantly present in my own library.... Thought id play Tidal from within the MM/Bryston interface.

Cheers,
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:21 pm »
Chris,

regards

Ron

Hi Ron,

After looking at the recommended specs of Roon yesterday I figured I wouldn't be able to run it on my NAS which is only a couple years old. It has an Atom processor and only 1GB of RAM that I can see on the Settings page. Mine is also Synology, the DS415play. What are your NAS's specs and how are you running it? I didn't see any Roon related packages when looking around Package Center yesterday.

Marius

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:23 pm »
Hi Ron,

After looking at the recommended specs of Roon yesterday I figured I wouldn't be able to run it on my NAS which is only a couple years old. It has an Atom processor and only 1GB of RAM that I can see on the Settings page. Mine is also Synology, the DS415play. What are your NAS's specs and how are you running it? I didn't see any Roon related packages when looking around Package Center yesterday.

Rod,
check http://blog.rieke.tv/roon-server-on-nas/ for the package
Cheers,
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:25 pm »
Oh and I also do not have SSD drives. I'm using 3 WD 6TB Red NAS drives.

Rod_S

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:26 pm »

Rod,
check http://blog.rieke.tv/roon-server-on-nas/ for the package
Cheers,
Marius

Ah cool, thanks  :thumb:

Marius

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:34 pm »
Ah cool, thanks  :thumb:

it is indeed, and if you register you can post in the relevant forum on https://community.roonlabs.com/c/linux/qnap-synology , Christopher responds within the minute....  :thumb:

btw u can use a Hdd usb drive, change its name to RoonServer (forget about creating a share on the external Usb drive, the Usb drive is already the share itself) and Roon Server will startup correctly

Keep in mind you have to add local folders, since they are on your NAS, and you run RoonServer from your NAS.

Cheers,
Marius

RonCH

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm »
Hi Ron,

I'm running a Synology 1512+ with 3GB of RAM.   

Rod_S

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2016, 01:22 pm »

hmm, you have a lot more RAM than I do. Are you using HDD or SSD drives? Is the 1512+ 32bit or 64bit?

Thanks

Krutsch

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2016, 01:38 pm »
Wow! Great work, Chris, et al.

I will try this when I get home and may have to eat my words and re-engage with Roon (my 1 year license is valid until end of July).

I am eager to see if there is integration with the BDP-1 display panel and control buttons, but either way I am eager to hear how it stands up to MPD playback.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jun 2016, 04:32 pm »
Wow! Great work, Chris, et al.

I will try this when I get home and may have to eat my words and re-engage with Roon (my 1 year license is valid until end of July).

I am eager to see if there is integration with the BDP-1 display panel and control buttons, but either way I am eager to hear how it stands up to MPD playback.

transport controls and display was the hold up

vonnie123

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jun 2016, 05:33 pm »
Excellent work Chris.  S 2.28 works great in Roon Ready mode.  Any chance Bryston users will see HQPlayer compatibility (NAA mode) in a future firmware update?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #33 on: 29 Jun 2016, 05:35 pm »
Excellent work Chris.  S 2.28 works great in Roon Ready mode.  Any chance Bryston users will see HQPlayer compatibility (NAA mode) in a future firmware update?

possibly

vonnie123

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jun 2016, 05:37 pm »
Awesome....thanks!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #35 on: 29 Jun 2016, 08:21 pm »
Hi Chris,

Does the Roon Mode disable the Tidal Application ? My page won't load anymore. Too bad, cause i disabled Tidal in Roon, to not be so abundantly present in my own library.... Thought id play Tidal from within the MM/Bryston interface.

Cheers,
Marius

Tidal Web App should still be functional, it could be that the Roon Ready app isn't releasing to audio interface

Marius

« Reply #36 on: 29 Jun 2016, 08:44 pm »
Tidal Web App should still be functional, it could be that the Roon Ready app isn't releasing to audio interface

Well, whatever the case, no music loading in the Tidal application in MM.
Maybe i have to wait for the Roon server to update, although i wouldn't know why, because my BDP stands idle right now, while the updating process is going on in the Roon interface and on the Nas (RoonServer)

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #37 on: 29 Jun 2016, 08:47 pm »

Same NAS here, experiencing heavy gaps/dropouts in playing. 16 and 32 bit. Maybe because the RoonServer is still updating my library.

Also, i'm on 1 gb memory and external Hdd. Tomorrow an SSD arrives, and 2gb extra memory is on order.... Maybe that will help.

Maybe i need to dive into the setup, and check for special settings.

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #38 on: 29 Jun 2016, 09:54 pm »

Same NAS here, experiencing heavy gaps/dropouts in playing. 16 and 32 bit. Maybe because the RoonServer is still updating my library.

Also, i'm on 1 gb memory and external Hdd. Tomorrow an SSD arrives, and 2gb extra memory is on order.... Maybe that will help.

Maybe i need to dive into the setup, and check for special settings.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

I have Roon installed on my system at work (desktop computer) and also at home (laptop) and no issues at all. :scratch:

I think the NAS is not up to the task?

james
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2016, 12:45 am by James Tanner »

Marius

« Reply #39 on: 30 Jun 2016, 05:34 am »
HI James,

I suspect that to be the case indeed. I'll wait for the indexing to finish and my SSD and extra system memory to arrive for final judgement ;)

Roon released new updates today (officially naming Bryston btw) and the Synology/Qnap support. Maybe that helps too.

I'll check BDP system logs / memory usage also, the BDP1 might be a bit under specced ?

Cheers,
happy experimenting,

Marius

Hi Marius

I have Roon installed on my system at work (desktop computer) and also at home (laptop) and no issues at all. :scratch:

I think the NAS is not up to the task?

james