Low power amps and the X5 speakers

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Low power amps and the X5 speakers
« on: 12 Aug 2020, 04:54 pm »
I am driving my X5 speakers with  45 tube amps  (less than 2 watts) and the sound is stunning.  I play some rock very loud and have yet to hear any indications of needing more power.  Some write about their speakers really coming alive when they use a higher power amp, but I see no need for this.  In addition to the powered subs in the speakers, I use a pair of GR Research dual 12" servo OB subs so my 45 amps only power the top 2 drivers.  I have placed Bybee products on the top 2 drivers, but these seem to have no effect on sensitivity.  My room is 20 X 20 X8.   I play almost no orchestral music.  I imagine if I could have a higher power amp that sounded as good as these I might prefer it, but as it is I am very happy with the sound now.  What other low power amps are you using (if any) and are you happy like me with the sound, or do you want to use more power?

JTF

Re: Low power amps and the X5 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2020, 05:32 pm »
I use an Eaton 45 occasionally with my X5s, and I don’t feel like it’s lacking power. My daily drivers are cherry monoblocks, but I prefer the tube amp.

radarnyc

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2020, 05:52 pm »
I have the LTA Z10 (12 watts @ 8 ohm) to my X3s. Great match...not feeling like a need more power.

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2020, 07:20 pm »
I have the LTA Z10 (12 watts @ 8 ohm) to my X3s. Great match...not feeling like a need more power.
Good thread.

What size room?

Did you try any others in the LTA family such as Ultralinear or 40 integrated?

mrotino332

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2020, 07:30 pm »
For my X5's, I'm using Pathos twin towers tube hybrid integrated at 30 watts/channel in a 24 x 12 x 7 basement and barely turn it up halfway and it is plenty loud so I believe most any low powered amp would work.  I also feel no need to get a more powerful amp for the X5s.

geerock

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2020, 09:56 pm »
Good thread.

What size room?

I have the LTA 40 amp with a tube DAC and Don Sachs tube preamp.  I previously had the ZOTL 10 MK2 and it was also a great match.
I got the opportunity to buy a gently used Reference 40 for cheap money and I bought it because I really love the NOS el34 tubes they use. The finest set up I've ever had, and one of the finest systems ive ever heard.  And I've heard a LOT.

radarnyc

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2020, 10:27 pm »
Good thread.

What size room?

I didn’t try anything else. My room is 14.5’ x 22’ and the speaker fronts are 4’ off the front wall.

Jprod

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2020, 04:18 am »
Dennis Had kt88 SEP amp with my x5s.  Produce about 12wpc.  Just added a don sachs line stage. Sounds fantastic. 

jjss49

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2020, 11:16 pm »
important question/topic here - as spatials are so good with lower power amps

but i think all replies shd reply with room size, music genre and some sense of how loudly the music is played - some listeners listen are pretty low levels