An amazingly rare wood finish

klaus@odyssey

An amazingly rare wood finish
« on: 18 May 2007, 01:25 am »
OK,  2 hours ago I picked up some Epiphony cabinets from Dave.  We hung out , talked,  and by chance I saw a 10 inch pile of veneer sitting in the corner.  Looked at it,  and it was weird.  Walnut,  beautiful,  BUT  there was a large area in the center,  like a longitude egg with unusual grain.  Very dark,  and very large and vivid.  Very vivid.  Asked Dave what that is all about and he showed me a hole above the grain. 

Turns out that the hole is actually a bullet hole,  and the darker area below is where the tree bled // was hurt.  Looked stunning,  but now check this out:  they counted the rings,  and the hole was created at the time of the Civil War !!!!!!!!!!  Freaking unbelievable.

Discloser:  Dave doesn't know where the tree was from,  and if the bullet hole was indeed from the Civil War,  but it was a bullet hole,  and the timing is perfect.

So,  we now have veneer for 8 pairs of Loreleis max,  and 2 are already gone.  (one for Klaus,  hehehe).

Anybody who was ever interested in the Loreleis and wants to have a truly special and rare pieces of audio gear with some sort of 150 + years of history,  and who loves a discussion piece,  here is your chance.  The vivid grain will be centered below the drivers,  and will also be wraparound on all sides.

Let me know,

Klaus

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallerylastup&cat=0&pos=0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallerylastup&cat=0&pos=1

« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2008, 10:52 pm by klaus@odyssey »

Zero

Re: An amazingly rare wood finish
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2007, 01:29 am »
Klaus - a musket worn veneer....  a great sounding speaker?  Damn....

Wish I had the coin - I'm right in the middle of that field of history....  (battlefield of Yorktown/Jamestown/)..  house just so happens to be located on the exact spot used for a make-shift hospital during the battle of dam-1. But I digress... 

Whoever get these are obligated to take pics!

Sean

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2007, 01:48 am »
OK,  3 are gone.

Also,  some of you will have the chance to see it in the future,  because my pair will be from now on the only and ultimate show pair.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2007, 02:14 am by klaus@odyssey »

Christof

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2007, 02:20 am »
Yes, I saw this veneer you are talking about a few years ago.  Wicked stuff, I actually thought Dave was going to donate this to museum to be made into paneling.  As the flitch is unleafed the streak gets longer and is at it's longest point where the bullet stoped.  I am quite surprised that Dave offered this for speaker cabinets but then again he is a pretty outgoing woodworker. 

Klaus, can you post pics of a finished pair, I'd love to see them.

Another idea...ask Dave if he will resaw a few pieces of the wood he salvaged from the Notre Dame bleachers and make a special edition of Notre Dame speakers, he can even mount the little tags on the bottom :lol:

lazydays

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2007, 03:36 am »
Yes, I saw this veneer you are talking about a few years ago.  Wicked stuff, I actually thought Dave was going to donate this to museum to be made into paneling.  As the flitch is unleafed the streak gets longer and is at it's longest point where the bullet stoped.  I am quite surprised that Dave offered this for speaker cabinets but then again he is a pretty outgoing woodworker. 

Klaus, can you post pics of a finished pair, I'd love to see them.

Another idea...ask Dave if he will resaw a few pieces of the wood he salvaged from the Notre Dame bleachers and make a special edition of Notre Dame speakers, he can even mount the little tags on the bottom :lol:

Oh my God!!! You didn't have to say that! The Holy Grail of football! And it's a chance to own a piece of the wood!
gary

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2007, 05:47 am »
Maybe I am the fourth...

We can call this "Civil War" version, or I would prefere "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" finish, What else guys ? El Alamo ?

Very interesting !!!

For me a "Notre Dame" would be incredible

This make me remember of a watch company which manufactures for armed forces apparently, Chase Durer I think is it's name, well the used to have a B-52 model manufactured with real metal from B-52 bombers, an incredible timepiece indeed.

lazydays

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2007, 06:21 am »
Maybe I am the fourth...

We can call this "Civil War" version, or I would prefere "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" finish, What else guys ? El Alamo ?

Very interesting !!!

For me a "Notre Dame" would be incredible

This make me remember of a watch company which manufactures for armed forces apparently, Chase Durer I think is it's name, well the used to have a B-52 model manufactured with real metal from B-52 bombers, an incredible timepiece indeed.

I happen to know somebody that has a square from IU's basketball floor as well as a square from the Boston Gardens from the Larry Bird era.
    As for a hundred fifty year old piece of walnut that has a mini ball in it, be thinking of Northern Virginia or PA. Assuming that the ring count was close, and I have to guess it as the Wilderness.
gary

Christof

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2007, 09:07 pm »
The Odyssey cabinet guy teaches advanced classes at the American Sycamore Woodworkers' Retreat & School, outside of Indianapolis to build this:

and this:

and this:

:o

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2007, 02:38 am »
Having this guy making the cabinets for Klaus is a biiig plus, his work is amazing, please if posible extend my congratulations to him, great work.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2007, 03:08 am »
Love that cabinet on a stand. Wow! Very James Krenov like. Awesome figure in the wood.

Can hardly wait to see how these speakers turn out.

Cheers

lazydays

« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2007, 03:39 am »
The Odyssey cabinet guy teaches advanced classes at the American Sycamore Woodworkers' Retreat & School, outside of Indianapolis to build this:

and this:

and this:

is that the wood working school out on Whiteland Road?
gary

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2008, 10:55 pm »
May 2007 post:

" OK,  2 hours ago I picked up some Epiphony cabinets from Dave.  We hung out , talked,  and by chance I saw a 10 inch pile of veneer sitting in the corner.  Looked at it,  and it was weird.  Walnut,  beautiful,  BUT  there was a large area in the center,  like a longitude egg with unusual grain.  Very dark,  and very large and vivid.  Very vivid.  Asked Dave what that is all about and he showed me a hole above the grain.

Turns out that the hole is actually a bullet hole,  and the darker area below is where the tree bled // was hurt.  Looked stunning,  but now check this out:  they counted the rings,  and the hole was created at the time of the Civil War !!!!!!!!!!  Freaking unbelievable.

Discloser:  Dave doesn't know where the tree was from,  and if the bullet hole was indeed from the Civil War,  but it was a bullet hole,  and the timing is perfect.

So,  we now have veneer for 8 pairs of Loreleis max,  and 2 are already gone.  (one for Klaus,  hehehe).

Anybody who was ever interested in the Loreleis and wants to have a truly special and rare pieces of audio gear with some sort of 150 + years of history,  and who loves a discussion piece,  here is your chance.  The vivid grain will be centered below the drivers,  and will also be wraparound on all sides."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the "Civil War" Lorelei # 6, this time  for Chang.   He wanted a "full whammy" x-overs, connectors, etc.
You can clearly see the bullet hole underneath the ScanSpeak. Again, according to the "rings",  it is from the early 1860's, but of course we have no idea as to whether the bullet was shot in combat or not.

Chang,  have fun,

Klaus

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1222&pos=16
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1222&pos=17
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2008, 07:20 pm by klaus@odyssey »

Bigfish

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2008, 11:14 pm »
Klaus:

They are certainly beautiful!  I know that Chang will enjoy listening and showing those beauties to his friends.

Ken

Christof

« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2008, 04:11 pm »
Civil War speakers look great  :thumb:

and this:

and this:

is that the wood working school out on Whiteland Road?
gary

The school out on Whiteland is called Marc Adams School of Woodworking and is one of most highly regarded woodworking schools in North America.  David teaches at another school outside of Indy called American Sycamore which is a very nice school but not the same as Marc Adams.  David interned with Michael Fortune and graduated from design school somewhere on the left coast.