Newbie Questions

posternutbag2000

Newbie Questions
« on: 21 Jul 2008, 10:19 pm »
Hi there,
I'm interested in adding a vinyl rig to my current setup....As I'm new to the analog/vinyl world, I'm trying to figure out what i would need in order to proceed...My turntable will use the Zu-modified Denon DL-103 cartridge which is low output MC (0.3mV)...I'm currently using and plan to keep my Welborne Ultrapath bp active pre-amp....So what do I need between the Zu/Denon cartridge and the Welborne active pre-amp?  A Bugle?  A bugle + Cornet2?  If I buy the kits where does one buy the enclosures?  I've done some assembly having built various Bottlehead and Welborne amps, pre-amps, etc. but these were typically all inclusive....Thanks in advance for assistance in getting me off the ground....

Scott

analog97

Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2008, 11:40 pm »
Scott,

You need 2 devices:

1. The Piccolo (this will provide the 10-fold gain needed by the Denon.
2.  A phono pre-amp.  I highly recommend the Cornet2.  I built mine perfectly and did not have the experience you have.  I understand the Bottlehead stuff has a lot of point-point.  None with the Cornet2, a high quality, large pcb.  Very nice!!

You could just build the Bugle w/60db gain and do away with #1 and 2, but the above path is far, far better.  Good luck.

WGH

Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:18 am »
I've had the Bottlehead phono pre-amp and Cornet2 in house at the same time.
Go with the Cornet2 and Piccolo.
The hardest part is waiting for parts to arrive.

I got one of the last Hagtech boxes, so I didn't have to do the case. The Cornet2 manual has the case supplier and specs you will need. You can download a copy from Jim's site.

A few files and step drills (Vari-bit) from Grizzley Tools will make the case prep easy.

Wayne